The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Dec 21, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #7,666 of 7,793

You won't get surround sound from any portable DAP that I know of. So just pick one that sounds good without surround sound.

You know what is the reason that there is no surround? And none sounds good it sounds empty without it..

"cause we need a little controversy, cause it feels so empty without me"  slim shady meets surround ^_^

if you wished to get a DAP with plenty of DSP settings for surround and other 3D effects, you're all out of luck with that DAP. better go look for cowon or better yet, some android device(better if you can root it) and then find the app that does exactly what you want.

Dec 21, 2016 at 5:27 AM Post #7,667 of 7,793
You walking around with more than two speakers? No. A portable player is meant to play 2 channel stereo music through stereo headphones. If trying to play surround sound files through 2 channel speakers (headphones) you'll be missing half the encoding, which is why it will sound like crap. Completely unreasonable to expect a portable player to play surround files.

Okay, i see. I guess i have to listen to music through my phone.. in my phone i have an option to put surround and it sounds way different even with headphones. But its better only with electronic music..

Dec 21, 2016 at 5:28 AM Post #7,668 of 7,793
"cause we need a little controversy, cause it feels so empty without me"  slim shady meets surround ^_^

if you wished to get a DAP with plenty of DSP settings for surround and other 3D effects, you're all out of luck with that DAP. better go look for cowon or better yet, some android device(better if you can root it) and then find the app that does exactly what you want.

Okay, thank you brother :)

Dec 21, 2016 at 6:02 AM Post #7,669 of 7,793
Okay, i see. I guess i have to listen to music through my phone.. in my phone i have an option to put surround and it sounds way different even with headphones. But its better only with electronic music..

Curious, does the phone actually play 5 channel encoded surround music, or is it just an app that has a surround preset?

Dec 21, 2016 at 7:00 AM Post #7,671 of 7,793
In my Lg G3 there is an option in the equalizer that called pure surround, as for iphone i had to download an app that has that option.

Ah!

Yeah, the wheel based FiiO DAPs have no such feature as they don't/can't load seperate apps and there are no DSP effects aside from a standard equalizer. As castleofargh mentioned you can find other DAPs that do run Android to load apps, or you can find DAPs that have DSP effects that 'enhance' the sound.

Dec 21, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #7,673 of 7,793
Okay, thanks for your help
smily_headphones1.gif

If there is an android app to do surround that you want, wait for the Fiio X5III to come out as it is the new X5 and is Android based so you'll be able to install that app.

Dec 21, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #7,674 of 7,793
You know what is the reason that there is no surround? And none sounds good it sounds empty without it..

True surround sound needs more than 2 channels. Since earphones only have two (left and right), the only way to listen to music in a surround configuration is by emulating the remain channels within the two. That means altering the sound that is meant to be played on each side.
Also, most of the tracks are only available in 2 channels (in fact i've never seen a music file with more than 2 channels), which means the separation for surround has also to be emulated.

DAPs like the X1 are meant to preserve the audio to the max, avoiding all types of changes in the original sound. We're already lucky to have an EQ, there are many DAPs that don't have one on purpose.

That said, this isn't really the type of player to have that functionality.

Dec 26, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #7,675 of 7,793
  True surround sound needs more than 2 channels. Since earphones only have two (left and right), the only way to listen to music in a surround configuration is by emulating the remain channels within the two. That means altering the sound that is meant to be played on each side.
Also, most of the tracks are only available in 2 channels (in fact i've never seen a music file with more than 2 channels), which means the separation for surround has also to be emulated.

DAPs like the X1 are meant to preserve the audio to the max, avoiding all types of changes in the original sound. We're already lucky to have an EQ, there are many DAPs that don't have one on purpose.

That said, this isn't really the type of player to have that functionality.

You are on point.  On my next trip to Lisboa, you will have to tell me where to get a great meal.  diverta se.

Jan 8, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #7,678 of 7,793
My first generation Fii0 x1 no longer will mount on my computer desktop (Mac). I've tried different usb cables, restarted the computer, removed and put back the memory card and tried disk utility all to no avail. This has never happened before. Amy suggestions?

Thanks!

Jan 8, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #7,679 of 7,793
I don't ever connect the player up to my computer (Windows 10 PC), just use the PC card reader to load up music after it's been formatted in the player. I don't think there's any need to connect the player ever - firmware can be updated via the card.

Jan 8, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #7,680 of 7,793
  My first generation Fii0 x1 no longer will mount on my computer desktop (Mac). I've tried different usb cables, restarted the computer, removed and put back the memory card and tried disk utility all to no avail. This has never happened before. Amy suggestions?

Thanks!

just in case, did you try the reset hole next to the volume buttons?

it's always hard to do a logical diagnostic, could be a torn pin on a plug, could be the device, could be the computer, some other external device you added recently that messed up the USB drivers like a fancy usb mouse with a gazillion hertz refresh rate. at some point luck is just as good as logic.

anyway the advice above is IMO a good one. you can really save some time using a card reader to transfer data and I also tend not to use the computer even to charge because in my case it's way slower than my usb chargers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back