The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Nov 13, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #3,886 of 7,793
What I do is simply make the Playlist I want up in a standard folder and add it to the other folders on my X1... I dont use a playlist generator at all. I steer clear of it completely on the X1, zero problems that way. I have over 50 custom playlists(folders) made up on my computer, I use whichever ones I am in the mood for in a given week.

quick question, do you put album folders inside one playlist folder,  or do you put 1 song per 1 song into that folder?

i mean, can i drop say, my 20 fav albums and put it into one folder, and play it w/ x1... or should i take the files from all those 20 albums and then put it into one folder?

hope that make sense... sorry for the inadequate description...

Nov 13, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #3,887 of 7,793
I put a selection of songs I like to listen to in a folder after running them through an app that numbers them and embeds a custom picture on all files.  I also change the tags to reflect what compilation it is.  Then I just name the folder the same.  

Nov 13, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #3,888 of 7,793
Nov 13, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #3,889 of 7,793
quick question, do you put album folders inside one playlist folder,  or do you put 1 song per 1 song into that folder?

i mean, can i drop say, my 20 fav albums and put it into one folder, and play it w/ x1... or should i take the files from all those 20 albums and then put it into one folder?

hope that make sense... sorry for the inadequate description...

It made perfect sense, lol. You don't have to use separate folders if you don't want to, but if you want all of your playlists(folders) to play in a row, with no further input from you, make one big folder. The reason for this is that the current firmware doesn't automatically play the next folder. It's a glitch FiiO is hopefully working on. Hope this helps ☺

Nov 13, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #3,890 of 7,793
It made perfect sense, lol. You don't have to use separate folders if you don't want to, but if you want all of your playlists(folders) to play in a row, with no further input from you, make one big folder. The reason for this is that the current firmware doesn't automatically play the next folder. It's a glitch FiiO is hopefully working on. Hope this helps ☺

let me reiterate, so put songs in one big folder instead of putting many folders in one big folder right?

correct me if im wrong, but otherwise gotcha!

thanks a lot!

Nov 13, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #3,891 of 7,793
you can make m3u playlists, there are limitations but they come from the m3u not really from fiio.
the relative path between the m3u and the tracks has to stay the same. you have to keep that in mind whatever way you end up doing it.
so if you have a folder named "music" with a m3u playlist inside of it, then 3sub folders inside "music" with different names and albums. as long as the path to go from the m3u to the songs is identical, it should work.

as for foobar you can even make a playlist directly inside the µSD. you just drag&drop the songs you want from the µSD to foobar, then select all "CTRL+A"-> right clic "utilities"-> save as playlist and save the m3u where its good for you inside the µSD(I suggest at the root of the µSD for easy browsing).

in effect I have my music inside 2 folders (classic and others) and I'm thinking of making one folder per alphabet letter to really get the best experience with the X1. themselves organized with the usual artist then album subfolders. and my playlists at the origin of the µSD, so while browsing by folder, the first thing I see are the playlists.

"yes it was myyyyyyyyyyyyy wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!! "

note that I couldn't get them playlist to actually show up in the playlist menu. but being able to use them is all I asked for.

Nov 13, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #3,892 of 7,793
  you can make m3u playlists, there are limitations but they come from the m3u not really from fiio.
the relative path between the m3u and the tracks has to stay the same. you have to keep that in mind whatever way you end up doing it.
so if you have a folder named "music" with a m3u playlist inside of it, then 3sub folders inside "music" with different names and albums. as long as the path to go from the m3u to the songs is identical, it should work.

as for foobar you can even make a playlist directly inside the µSD. you just drag&drop the songs you want from the µSD to foobar, then select all "CTRL+A"-> right clic "utilities"-> save as playlist and save the m3u where its good for you inside the µSD(I suggest at the root of the µSD for easy browsing).

in effect I have my music inside 2 folders (classic and others) and I'm thinking of making one folder per alphabet letter to really get the best experience with the X1. themselves organized with the usual artist then album subfolders. and my playlists at the origin of the µSD, so while browsing by folder, the first thing I see are the playlists.

note that I couldn't get them playlist to actually show up in the playlist menu. but being able to use them is all I asked for.

Too much work 
biggrin.gif
 But it is a good idea. That's what I like about Folder play, it's really much more versatile than many folks think. Getting creative is half the fun 
wink.gif

Nov 13, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #3,893 of 7,793

let me reiterate, so put songs in one big folder instead of putting many folders in one big folder right?

correct me if im wrong, but otherwise gotcha!

thanks a lot!

If you want all of them to play in a row, without having to switch to another folder, yes. It will make it a bit harder to find a specific song, though. I like to keep all of my albums in separate folders, makes it easier to find something, but it does force me to have to switch manually to the next album, something I really hope gets fixed in the next firmware update. For playlists, a single folder per will do, with all playlists getting dumped into a single folder for easier playback. So far, it's working for me. 

Nov 13, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #3,894 of 7,793
  If you want all of them to play in a row, without having to switch to another folder, yes. It will make it a bit harder to find a specific song, though. I like to keep all of my albums in separate folders, makes it easier to find something, but it does force me to have to switch manually to the next album, something I really hope gets fixed in the next firmware update. For playlists, a single folder per will do, with all playlists getting dumped into a single folder for easier playback. So far, it's working for me. 

what i really want to be updated is when go to all songs, instead of reading from file name, it reads from tags metadata. so i'll have the songs on title instead of file name. reading all 01 01 01 and 02 02 is pretty confusing hehe..

Nov 13, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #3,895 of 7,793

what i really want to be updated is when go to all songs, instead of reading from file name, it reads from tags metadata. so i'll have the songs on title instead of file name. reading all 01 01 01 and 02 02 is pretty confusing hehe..

Yep, this current firmware, whilst definitely improved over the last one, needs some help. Thankfully this is a FiiO, they do care and do tend to update their products 
smily_headphones1.gif
 Patience is all we need.

Nov 13, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #3,896 of 7,793

Too much work 
biggrin.gif
 But it is a good idea. That's what I like about Folder play, it's really much more versatile than many folks think. Getting creative is half the fun 
wink.gif

eheh, that's like everything else, it looks overwhelming, but doing one playlist when we feel like it, you end up with lots of playlists and your experience improves with time.
I do have a few folders with my all time mixes and thus no need for a real playlist for those, but if you use that too much you end up with the same song as several separate files on the DAP. so people already complaining that 128giga isn't enough will not like it your way ^_^.
I happen to be happy even with 16giga as I tend to listen to one album for days, but not everybody is Rain Man. "oh ohhh, I like that song, yes I like that song, 37517times, I played it 37517 times in a raw, oh ohhhh! 37518"
biggrin.gif

Nov 13, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #3,897 of 7,793

Is it a glitch or just something they've forgotten to implement?

I can imagine it is a bit of a mine field designing firmware for MP3 players, especially if they don't learn from other player's systems.

For instance most people would want a player to carry on playing songs from folder to folder, yet this can often be overlooked.

Nov 13, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #3,898 of 7,793
  Is it a glitch or just something they've forgotten to implement?

I can imagine it is a bit of a mine field designing firmware for MP3 players, especially if they don't learn from other player's systems.

For instance most people would want a player to carry on playing songs from folder to folder, yet this can often be overlooked.

That's been debated over on the other threads (x3/x5), and it seems there are just as many people that want the player to stop after one album and not to jump to next folder.
I think Fiio has been looking into adding the choice as an option.

Nov 13, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #3,899 of 7,793
  That's been debated over on the other threads (x3/x5), and it seems there are just as many people that want the player to stop after one album and not to jump to next folder.
I think Fiio has been looking into adding the choice as an option.

It would definitely be good as an option.

Not sure why people would want it to stop at a folder though, except for power constraints I suppose, but then they could use the sleep timer for that, even though I know it means more thought needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back