The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Nov 14, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #3,916 of 7,793
even when the component are ok, usually the battery isn't, so trying not to get it too cold is the only real option. I'm concerned about that with my camera when winter comes, as all the time it spends protected in the warmer bag, is time I can't shoot the unicorn riding a UFO that was going to pass in flash. but my dap in my pocket is usually warm enough thanks to warm meat technology.
do you use the silicon case? it should help the isolation of the device and win you some time in the cold.

Nov 14, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #3,918 of 7,793
^Umm, you should never leave electronics out in the cold to the point that that they are just as cold as the outside temp..
Perfect example, don't leave your phone in your car over night when you know it's going to get very cold.
Then on top of that, if your electronics do get that cold, be sure to let them warm up to a higher temp
BEFORE turning them on to use them. You can damage a device trying to use it when it's that cold.
Almost every electronic device will have specific operating temperatures right in the literature/manual that comes with it.
Sure, it's ok to keep a device working in your hand or pocket when it's cold outside,
because the device will never get too cold that way most of the time, just don't let the device sit for hours in the cold on it's own
and then expect it to work ok.

I ride public transportation so me avoiding the cold is not possible. Whether it's in my hand or pocket.

Having the device outside when it's cold isn't the same as leaving exposed to the cold for a period of time that would allow the device
to become as cold as the outside temperature though it's entire core.
Having it in your hand or pocket is probably enough to keep it within the desired operating temperature.
Just use common sense. That's all. :wink:

Nov 14, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #3,919 of 7,793
"warm meat technology" LOL :D

Nov 14, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #3,920 of 7,793
First post in this forum.  I have been using the X1 for several weeks now, and like it a lot!  I agree that the UI is a little rough, but it is simple to use and I had absolutely no problem (never reset it, fw upgrade was a breeze).
I never know what I am going to listen to and for me, it is very important to have ALL my music with me.  I loaded the albums I like the most as FLAC, some native MP3 tracks, and the rest converted from FLAC to MP3-256k --a total of ~11,000 tracks, maximizing my 128GB mSD.
SQ is great IMHO.  I use the X1 mainly with a GR07-BE, and a Philips S2.  Yes the UI is a little rough... but it’s very workable!
One suggestion for FIIO:  if you are going to fix the 5,800 songs limit, could you also add the option of an "external database" stored on the mSD, like the external playlists?  I don’t know what db the X1 uses internally, but say... a SQLite db file, or XML, JSON, or even CSV files...  This will allow users like me to tinker with the database:  display "The Beatles" in the Artist section, but sort them as "Beatles, The"; replace the artist with the composer for classical music; sort the albums of a given artist chronologically if I choose to etc.  Obviously this "external database" would need to expose the right fields...  Mmm... that could become very complex too!  Maybe it's not such a good idea after all?

Nov 14, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #3,921 of 7,793
Batteries also do not like the cold.  Keep your hand on the device (X1 us small, you should be able to do that) or get insulation for your pocket so the wind chill doesn't kill it.  Not a matter of you riding public transport, it's a matter of keeping the device warm or not using it because it's too cold.  

Nov 15, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #3,922 of 7,793
I live in cold enough place to say that you shouldn't fear a little cold. Never had any device to crap out on me because of coldness. Although winter hasn't really started yet, we have around zero degrees celsius temperatures and X1 is doing fine in my jacket pocket. Fret not!

Nov 15, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #3,925 of 7,793
  First post in this forum.  I have been using the X1 for several weeks now, and like it a lot!  I agree that the UI is a little rough, but it is simple to use and I had absolutely no problem (never reset it, fw upgrade was a breeze).
I never know what I am going to listen to and for me, it is very important to have ALL my music with me.  I loaded the albums I like the most as FLAC, some native MP3 tracks, and the rest converted from FLAC to MP3-256k --a total of ~11,000 tracks, maximizing my 128GB mSD.
SQ is great IMHO.  I use the X1 mainly with a GR07-BE, and a Philips S2.  Yes the UI is a little rough... but it’s very workable!
One suggestion for FIIO:  if you are going to fix the 5,800 songs limit, could you also add the option of an "external database" stored on the mSD, like the external playlists?  I don’t know what db the X1 uses internally, but say... a SQLite db file, or XML, JSON, or even CSV files...  This will allow users like me to tinker with the database:  display "The Beatles" in the Artist section, but sort them as "Beatles, The"; replace the artist with the composer for classical music; sort the albums of a given artist chronologically if I choose to etc.  Obviously this "external database" would need to expose the right fields...  Mmm... that could become very complex too!  Maybe it's not such a good idea after all?

thanks for you advice, but please understand it will added a lots of trouble when you try to support so many features and format. that is why Apple always make their system closed. 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 15, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #3,926 of 7,793
Thank you, James.  Excellent reason for, if you want Apple features, buy an Apple player.  Having ALL of the features everyone wants is neither realistic nor cost-effective.  Now if you can carry that concept into the X7, many of will be happy to purchase that as well.  
normal_smile .gif

Most of us buy Fiio because we want better sound than an Apple product can deliver.  The features, to me, are secondary to the sound.

The X1 is a wonderful $100 device. It sounds great, especially with good iems.  

Part of what I see as an issue for you and your engineers is that some users want to put an entire library of MP3s on the device and have everything available to them.  Which of course brings up problems of easy accessibility to all of those files, and the issue of playlists.

Other users are more interested in an audiophile device that has the best sound possible, and don't care about bells and whistles, or jamming 20,000 low-res files on our device.  Right now I have about 2,000 songs in folders on both my X1 and X5.  The X1 has all 16 or 24 bit FLAC, and the X5 has all of those plus about twenty DSD folders as well.  And I still have nearly 4gb left on my X1 64mb card, and a lot more than that on my second X5 64mb card  

How you and your company can bridge those two extremes will, I suppose, be how you position yourself in the music player market.  I, for one, hope you move in the direction of pure audiophile.  However, since your main market is China, it may be that you will have to continue to balance the needs of the 20,000 MP3 file users with the needs of the audiophile group.  

Thank you for your excellent devices, great customer support, and your desire to come on these threads and actually talk to your user base.  I look forward to seeing what you do with the X7.  

Nov 16, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #3,928 of 7,793
First post here, but have enjoyed the site for a long time. I just go the X1, and am impressed with it. Upgraded the firmware from 1.0 to 1.10, and have 2 microSD cards, one with HD only up to 192/24, and the other all 16/44. Most in .wav, some in .flac.

Very impressed. Am using Sony MDR V6's.

One thing I'd like is a hole in the plastic cover to allow quick switching of microsd cards, as the sweet spot is 64gb cards, so I will probably have a few small cards before the 128s go down in price. but not a big deal, perhaps I'll get a 2nd plastic cover and make a cut-out in one.

Nov 16, 2014 at 4:09 AM Post #3,930 of 7,793
@JamesFiio

Sorry if this has been aswered before, but...

Maybe the only one "complaint" I've read about X1 is that its soundstage is compressed, without the airiness of X5 or IHIFI 770.

As X1 uses TI PCM5142 and it includes a miniDSP that can be programmed with PurePath Studio and according to its description (http://www.ti.com/tool/aicpurepath_studio) and Q&A it has the ability to add surround effects and 3D virtualizer:

You can see them in the componnets tab of PurePath studio:

Is there any chance to see in a future firmware release the option to manually enable one of these effects in order to expand the soundstage?

Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back