The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Nov 14, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #3,904 of 7,793
  you can make m3u playlists, there are limitations but they come from the m3u not really from fiio.
the relative path between the m3u and the tracks has to stay the same. you have to keep that in mind whatever way you end up doing it.
so if you have a folder named "music" with a m3u playlist inside of it, then 3sub folders inside "music" with different names and albums. as long as the path to go from the m3u to the songs is identical, it should work.

as for foobar you can even make a playlist directly inside the µSD. you just drag&drop the songs you want from the µSD to foobar, then select all "CTRL+A"-> right clic "utilities"-> save as playlist and save the m3u where its good for you inside the µSD(I suggest at the root of the µSD for easy browsing).

in effect I have my music inside 2 folders (classic and others) and I'm thinking of making one folder per alphabet letter to really get the best experience with the X1. themselves organized with the usual artist then album subfolders. and my playlists at the origin of the µSD, so while browsing by folder, the first thing I see are the playlists.

"yes it was myyyyyyyyyyyyy wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!! "

note that I couldn't get them playlist to actually show up in the playlist menu. but being able to use them is all I asked for.

Man, I tried doing this but when I do a media scan, it says no playlists found, and when I try to play the playlist, it says no files found.

Loving the X1 btw, better than the already great X3

Edit- well what do you bloody know? Now it works. I have to save in the root folder and not in a "playlists" folder...curious

Nov 14, 2014 at 3:00 AM Post #3,905 of 7,793

Man, I tried doing this but when I do a media scan, it says no playlists found, and when I try to play the playlist, it says no files found.

Edit- well what do you bloody know? Now it works. I have to save in the root folder and not in a "playlists" folder...curious

If you edit the lines with the filenames in the playlist file to have "..\" in front of them you can move it to the playlists folder. The names are relative so it's like telling someone to take two steps forward and one left. If they don't start in the right place, they don't end in the right place... So the playlist file has to be in the right place.

Or you can make it have absolute paths, but I don't know the names of the drives on the X1.

Nov 14, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #3,906 of 7,793
  If you edit the lines with the filenames in the playlist file to have "..\" in front of them you can move it to the playlists folder. The names are relative so it's like telling someone to take two steps forward and one left. If they don't start in the right place, they don't end in the right place... So the playlist file has to be in the right place.

Or you can make it have absolute paths, but I don't know the names of the drives on the X1.

Nah it's all cool. I can live with the playlist files in the root folder...I just name them xxxx.List.m3u so I know they're playlist files. Gotta say, the ability to add to playlists from the player itself would've made the X1 9/10 for me. As it is it's about 8-9/10.....gotta give Fiio some room to surprise us with more features.

Nov 14, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #3,907 of 7,793
I notice that there's some sort of delay on displaying the song when you hit next to play the next song. The music already plays but there's a split second dwlay before thw display shows the title. Do you guys also experience that?

Nov 14, 2014 at 5:22 AM Post #3,908 of 7,793
I notice that there's some sort of delay on displaying the song when you hit next to play the next song. The music already plays but there's a split second dwlay before thw display shows the title. Do you guys also experience that?

yes, it took long time to process the cover display ! you can re-sized the cover to decrease the delay time.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 14, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #3,909 of 7,793
It would definitely be good as an option.

Not sure why people would want it to stop at a folder though, except for power constraints I suppose, but then they could use the sleep timer for that, even though I know it means more thought needed.

+1!

I second that! An option (or continue with next folder as default) would be great.

Nov 14, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #3,911 of 7,793

you can make m3u playlists, there are limitations but they come from the m3u not really from fiio.
the relative path between the m3u and the tracks has to stay the same. you have to keep that in mind whatever way you end up doing it.
so if you have a folder named "music" with a m3u playlist inside of it, then 3sub folders inside "music" with different names and albums. as long as the path to go from the m3u to the songs is identical, it should work.

as for foobar you can even make a playlist directly inside the µSD. you just drag&drop the songs you want from the µSD to foobar, then select all "CTRL+A"-> right clic "utilities"-> save as playlist and save the m3u where its good for you inside the µSD(I suggest at the root of the µSD for easy browsing).

in effect I have my music inside 2 folders (classic and others) and I'm thinking of making one folder per alphabet letter to really get the best experience with the X1. themselves organized with the usual artist then album subfolders. and my playlists at the origin of the µSD, so while browsing by folder, the first thing I see are the playlists.

"yes it was myyyyyyyyyyyyy wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!! "

note that I couldn't get them playlist to actually show up in the playlist menu. but being able to use them is all I asked for.

I have to say I didn't try to make a playlist folder on the side, as tjw321 says below, if the playlist is in a directory "sideway" to the directory of the music(so the path has to go back to root then back down), the path will need to know the name of the drive and that can complicate things. in fact it does because on your computer the storage is given whatever letter available but it doesn't have to be the name FIIO will use.
so we usually make sure it's in the follow up of the same group of subfolders, and the very sure way for that is to place the playlist at the root of the storage. that way you're sure the path will only go down from there. it's a lazy man trick, and I sure am a lazy man ^_^.
still I'm glad my weird way of explaining could go through with somebody. I actually find that having the playlists at the root works better on the X1 than down below in some other folder as we need to browse to access them. so it's faster at the root folder.

that!

yes, it took long time to process the cover display ! you can re-sized the cover to decrease the delay time.

So it does that, but it acts the same even if the track has no cover display, that's also normal?

it's all relative, you notice it mostly because the sound and cover aren't in sync. when I change track on my sony it feels smooth, when I change track on my X1 it feels laggy. that's very much how I feel.
now the irony is that the X1 actually starts playing the song faster than my sony ^_^. so if the music didn't start playing that fast, we might never have noticed a lag with the picture.
biggrin.gif

still what I want is sound, so I'm all about that choice, instead of making me wait for the song to start that the cover is loaded. like I had on the X3 with the first firmware.

Nov 14, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #3,912 of 7,793
It was 20°F this morning and I noticed that my X1 slowed down a little.I had a smartphone that got glitchy in the cold so I hope my X1 does not do the same.

Nov 14, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #3,913 of 7,793
^Umm, you should never leave electronics out in the cold to the point that that they are just as cold as the outside temp..
Perfect example, don't leave your phone in your car over night when you know it's going to get very cold.
Then on top of that, if your electronics do get that cold, be sure to let them warm up to a higher temp
BEFORE turning them on to use them. You can damage a device trying to use it when it's that cold.
Almost every electronic device will have specific operating temperatures right in the literature/manual that comes with it.
Sure, it's ok to keep a device working in your hand or pocket when it's cold outside,
because the device will never get too cold that way most of the time, just don't let the device sit for hours in the cold on it's own
and then expect it to work ok.

Nov 14, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #3,914 of 7,793
^Umm, you should never leave electronics out in the cold to the point that that they are just as cold as the outside temp..
Perfect example, don't leave your phone in your car over night when you know it's going to get very cold.
Then on top of that, if your electronics do get that cold, be sure to let them warm up to a higher temp
BEFORE turning them on to use them. You can damage a device trying to use it when it's that cold.
Almost every electronic device will have specific operating temperatures right in the literature/manual that comes with it.
Sure, it's ok to keep a device working in your hand or pocket when it's cold outside,
because the device will never get too cold that way most of the time, just don't let the device sit for hours in the cold on it's own
and then expect it to work ok.

I ride public transportation so me avoiding the cold is not possible. Whether it's in my hand or pocket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back