The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Nov 9, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #3,826 of 7,793

Ive had my set up for about a week and it has exceeded all of my expectations :D

Nov 9, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #3,827 of 7,793
  im as ok as a get so im like 47 percent normal

Ok, if you say so. I was just surprised when you said that the Clip+ sounded better to you. Not even just on par with the X1, but surpassing the X1.
I've been looking at this DAP for a while and many people have said that it is a great DAP for $100.
I'm just very surprised to hear someone say that the Clip+ is better.
I have the Clip+, and if what you say is true, then I guess my decision has been changed now.
I won't buy the X1 anymore.
If what you say is true, then that extra $60 for the X1 isn't worth it because all you're really getting is an easier to navigate UI.

I'm not normal either 
tongue.gif
 sometimes I wish I was though 
blink.gif

Nov 9, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #3,829 of 7,793
  Ok, if you say so. I was just surprised when you said that the Clip+ sounded better to you. Not even just on par with the X1, but surpassing the X1.
I've been looking at this DAP for a while and many people have said that it is a great DAP for $100.
I'm just very surprised to hear someone say that the Clip+ is better.
I have the Clip+, and if what you say is true, then I guess my decision has been changed now.
I won't buy the X1 anymore.
If what you say is true, then that extra $60 for the X1 isn't worth it because all you're really getting is an easier to navigate UI.

I'm not normal either 
tongue.gif
 sometimes I wish I was though 
blink.gif

It really depends on what your "sonic priorities" are.  I prefer the Clip+ with Rockbox myself, but the more I listen to the X1, the more I see what other people prefer about it. 

Personally, I prefer gear with a sonic signature that is as close to completely neutral as possible, even at the expensive of other things like detail, resolution, extension at the frequency extremes, etc.  No matter how good a particular piece of gear's other attributes are, I often end up preferring whichever component is not adding any colorations of it own, even if it has less resultion, rolled off treble, etc.  That's just me. 

The X1 does exceed the performance of the Clip+ a bit in areas like detail and resolution.  There are other advantages to the X1 as well: more power, a line out, bigger screen, etc.  

OTOH, I find the Clip+ with Rockbox to have the best UI out there, bar none, mostly due to its simplicity.  If only the screen were bigger to make it easier to read...

The X1 excels at things like detail.

Nov 9, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #3,830 of 7,793
I find the X1 extremely easy to use. The UI is about as straightforward as you can get. The sound, well I have a lot to compare it to and I think that for the 100 dollars it does an extremely good job and well worth the money. I don't find anything to really fault with the X1. 

Nov 10, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #3,831 of 7,793

that's about it. yes.
 I tried +10 each times and got 5db variations at least from 40 to 100 it worked that way.
but 20 to 30 gave me +10db, and 30 to 40 also +10db. (can't read below 20 because the noise of my soundcard kicks in)

you didn't like my answer to you last time you asked or you didn't see it?

Quick question how do you find the sound of the x1 compared to the sony A10?

same old same old. with easy to drive IEMs, not too sensitive, not too affected by impedance changes. they sound very much the same(and super close to the clip+, but the clip is even so slightly below IMO).
given the specs, the X1 will be able to drive a bigger range of headphones(and a little louder too), but it doesn't even come close to driving my hd650, when the X3 was really close to do it in a satisfactory way. so most likely, headphones that will sound like they really need an amp with the sony A10 series, will end up needing one with the X1 too.
I guess what I'm saying is that sound isn't what should make people go for one or the other.
but more, price, size, battery, hiss(the X1 hisses a good deal less than the sony), UI(here sony is at the top with maybe apple), and if you're ok with the proprietary usb cable/lod of the sony(but for that FIIO is fairplay, they're probably the first provider of sony LODs with the L5 cable ^_^), and a few other things that might be important for one but not for the other, like the nfc stuff on the sony, or the left/right balance of the FIIO.
it's not as easy a choice as it looks and each person will have his own reasons. but the X1 is clearly a great sound/$ offer. that much I can confidently say.

Nov 10, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #3,832 of 7,793
  I find the X1 extremely easy to use. The UI is about as straightforward as you can get.

While the X1 is not difficult to use, a Clip with Rockbox is still easier.  The X1's scroll wheel is simply a poor design choice (although a huge improvement over the X3's counter-intuitive button layout and the X5's counter-intuitive scroll wheel).  The scroll wheel feels rickety in use - like it's about to fall off, it cannot scroll through long lists fast enough, and it's very difficult to choose a specific line without going past it.

In contrast, the Clip has the most intuitive button layout ever conceived: Up, Down, Left, and Right, with enter in the middle, and an "Up a level" button in the most natural place imaginable - on top of the player!  IMO it's perfection. 

Of course, personal taste will certainly come into play. 

Nov 10, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #3,833 of 7,793
Interesting. I don't have that problem with the scroll wheel. I can use it to get to an album pretty fast and stop at that album and if I want a particular song in the album, no problem. Good to have a number of choices to keep us all happy. :^) I would like to have the scanning in the center so I could see what was coming up as I used the wheel, that I will agree but still find it easy to use and music selection once done, is extremely fast to play. 

Nov 10, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #3,834 of 7,793

I want it 
biggrin.gif

Nov 10, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #3,838 of 7,793
Forgive me for asking such an obvious question, but I assume you can transfer your music from your PC onto the microSD card inserted in the X1 by hooking it up with the micro USB cable, am I correct? I can't imagine you'd have to use a card reader every time you want to load new tunes on your microSD card.

Nov 10, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #3,839 of 7,793
  Forgive me for asking such an obvious question, but I assume you can transfer your music from your PC onto the microSD card inserted in the X1 by hooking it up with the micro USB cable, am I correct? I can't imagine you'd have to use a card reader every time you want to load new tunes on your microSD card.

You can transfer and remove music on your the microSD while plugged in via microUSB

Nov 10, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #3,840 of 7,793
Hi everyone. Forgive me for asking something possibly already covered in the thread. I´m seriously  thinking of getting the X1 and lining it out to the E12 preamp which I already own. I guess some of you might be using this combo. My question is obvious: What´s the SQ like of the combo as opposed to the X1 on its own ? How does this compare to higher Fio or Ibasso DAP´s ? Thanks a lot for replying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back