The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Oct 13, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #3,076 of 7,793
Is that because there is a risk of blowing the IEMs or because they could make you go deaf? I gather IEM is Inner Ear Monitor?

You should always have some form of amplifier between the DAC and your headphomes/earphones.

The signal is called line out, because it's just the direct line out of the dac, with no opamp in the signal path.

You can't regulate the volume, and if you have regular to very sensitive headphones, you might blow them out, or worse, your eardrums.

And indeed, IEMs are In Ear Monitors :)

Oct 13, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #3,078 of 7,793
You should always have some form of amplifier between the DAC and your headphomes/earphones.

The signal is called line out, because it's just the direct line out of the dac, with no opamp in the signal path.

You can't regulate the volume, and if you have regular to very sensitive headphones, you might blow them out, or worse, your eardrums.

And indeed, IEMs are In Ear Monitors
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the reply. I'm not really an audiophile, mainly because I can't afford the high end equipment and break headphones easily.
I mainly wanted the X1 because it can use micro SD cards and at 128gb meaning I can carry as much music as I have. The only thing extra I'd like is a better battery life. There is nothing worse than being out and running out of power and not having a power point around.
Yup, it sure can.

Cheers for the info.

Oct 14, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #3,082 of 7,793

sorry there are very few units have bugs when charging and we have found the reason and it should fixed in the next firmware. 

Mine had the same issue. I used it infrequently for more than three weeks without charging it, and then yesterday it cut out with the battery low. I charged it overnight and it still wouldn't start, so I thought it was dead and emailed customer support. I just pressed the little reset button next to the power button and it's back to normal again.

I'd like the new firmware soon, but I'm still very happy with it. It gives me great sound and I'm using my phone less.

Oct 14, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #3,083 of 7,793
Thanks for the reply. I'm not really an audiophile, mainly because I can't afford the high end equipment and break headphones easily.
I mainly wanted the X1 because it can use micro SD cards and at 128gb meaning I can carry as much music as I have. The only thing extra I'd like is a better battery life. There is nothing worse than being out and running out of power and not having a power point around.
Cheers for the info.

Audiophile. The most literal meaning being "music appreciater"

I appreciated music when i was 15 on my ipod shuffle with cheap earphones.
Difference is that now i listen more intensely.
It's all about the enjoyment and not really about the gear.
Having said that, of course, better gear provides a higher sound quality, which can amplify your feelings toward that music.

Having had both the X3 and X5, i think the X1 is probably a very decent audio player.

Happy listening!

Oct 14, 2014 at 1:18 AM Post #3,084 of 7,793
can somebody list the biggest downsides to the FiiO X1? At the $100 mark, there must be an area where it is lacking.

This monster must have a weak spot.

a list of pros to combat the cons would be helpful too, as I am trying to convince somebody to purchase this instead of another Apple product. thanks

Oct 14, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #3,085 of 7,793
Firmware still has a few kinks in it, no on-board memory, no touchscreen.

Only ones I can think of right now. The others are preferences instead of "weaknesses"

Oct 14, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #3,086 of 7,793
Pros

Price
24bit support
Micro SD slot
Up to 128gb storage
Line out
Sound (better than ipod)
Build
No iTunes
Save lots of money not buying Apple brand.
Format support
Separate internal amp (not a one chip solution)

Cons

Click wheel takes getting used too
UI not on the level of Apple
Battery life less than Apple
No iTunes (depending how you look at it)

If you can convince your friend they will be very happy, and should take you out to dinner with the hundreds of dollars they'd have left over while also experiencing better sound than an Apple device. Plus it's nice to be different once and a while, a fresh change is often welcome in life.

Oct 14, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #3,087 of 7,793
^ Are we doing criticisms? I've only had mine a few days, but not much to complain about.
This was less than a hundred bucks and I keep wondering how they are making any money from it.
As mentioned above, one con could be the lack of touchscreen, but that is a tradeoff for the low price.
Another could also be the lack of DSD decoding, but again, a tradeoff for the price.
I knew these things and all of the other ones above before buying and it's ok with me.
I'm pleasantly surprised that it has everything it does for the price.

My only real criticism thus far is with the scroll wheel.
It just feels too loose to me. It seems like it should be harder to turn, or click more solidly from selection to selection.
It's easy to shoot past where you are going because it's so fast and free. I'm sure I will get used to it in time though.

Oct 14, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #3,088 of 7,793
My review is up.  Not much to criticise at this price point.  Plenty to like though 
wink.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x1-ultraportable-hi-res-dap/reviews/11734

Oct 14, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #3,089 of 7,793
Got it today from ebay for 95$

Must listen much more time but now i don't have wow-effect after SanDisk Sansa Clip+
May be bass more better.
And good thing is i don't need use EQ any more.
May be i need much more better IEM (i have Xiaomi Piston Gold 2)

Two problems with X1 i see right after first start:
1) Central button should be more monolith. It's left side pressing harder, right side is easy.
2) Player don't recognize russian tags - chinese  words instead.

Oct 14, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #3,090 of 7,793
LOL.
I just press OFF first time and this player does not start any more.
I try to hold ON 10 sec - not helped.
Now i connect it to charger - red led is working but player does not start!
What you can suggest?
And of course i charged it about 3 hours before first start.

---
OK. Reset button with pin helped. Not my best first 15 minutes with new High Quality gadget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back