The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Oct 14, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #3,106 of 7,793
Not any more.  Last one I owned was the old iAudio 7 (it was a fantastic little DAP) - that was a long time ago though.

Oct 14, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #3,108 of 7,793
Guess it depends on your needs.  Sony has more features and 64Gb built in.  But it's $299

X1 with 64Gb card going to be around $140-150 (1/2 the price) - straight player.

Really they are chalk and cheese.  You'll just have to decide whether the Sony add-ons are another $150 value ......

Would love it if the X1 had that much battery life though (30 hours)

Oct 14, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #3,110 of 7,793
  Guess it depends on your needs.  Sony has more features and 64Gb built in.  But it's $299

X1 with 64Gb card going to be around $140-150 (1/2 the price) - straight player.

Really they are chalk and cheese.  You'll just have to decide whether the Sony add-ons are another $150 value ......

Would love it if the X1 had that much battery life though (30 hours)

Battery life is important to me but so is SQ.
Could care less for bluetooth and nfc. Nice to have but not essential.

Oct 14, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #3,112 of 7,793
My X1 just arrived. The plan is to use this in the car and at the gym and keep the X3 for quieter environments.

After just a few minutes, my general observation (subject to change) is that the interface is more intuitive than the X3.  The sound quality is a very small notch below the X3 and if I did not have the X3 I do not think I would have considered using anything but the X1. 

Fiio has a winner here.

Oct 14, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #3,114 of 7,793
Mine arrived today. The UI doesn't bother me even though I am very used to the Android UI. SQ is much better than my HTC phone and its Beats app. My TTPOD T1-E sound best with it followed by my choice for bass, an Audio Technica ATH PRO700MK2.

Oct 14, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #3,115 of 7,793
Taking my eyes in this dap, and willing to get one. All said X1 is warm, bassy but not going into deep bass. not problem to my taste, but the worryíng me is clarity. Hów is it?

For a player that's made for the 'young' X1 has quite a mature sound and believe me I never thought I'd be as impressed when I ordered. I've been A/Bing with the likes of iPod Touch 4G, iPod Video, Colorfly C3, Sansa Clip, Clip Zip and it's a tough call, however still find myself preferring the signature of X1.

Clarity is fine it pushes through quite nicely. it just has a slight amount of warmth that makes it smooth but you will hear good amounts of detail and satisfactory resolution.

Areas that surprise me though are refinement, it sounds quite well held in posture and the soundstage is much better than that found on my DX50 units headphone out. Instrument separation is also quite well executed for the price but the Colorfly C3 edges out on it there.

I think the main thing is along with these competent technical areas X1 is just so damn fun to use and listen too. As I said, a player for the 'young' that sounds a little more mature than it's competitors. EG. Apple, Cowon, Sansa.  I have never been the hugest fan of FiiO's house sound but they have come quite a long way.

Now with X3's release and X5 not long after, X1 is a compilation of FiiO's work and research, they've done it a few times now (the DAP thing),  so X1 is a prime example of FiiO's maturity in the DAP scene.

Oct 14, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #3,116 of 7,793
  I don't find it that bassy to be honest. I think calling it a bit warm is the correct way. It has great clarity and dynamics.
Compared to my previous DAP [a puny, but pretty good Clip+] there's more extension on both ends, more punchy bass, great midrange and very good treble presence still, but far from being harsh. Better soundstage dimensionality, better separation and very good clarity.
That's with a RE-400 IEM by HiFiMAN, which is mostly described as slightly warmer [a sentiment which I did not agree with entirely, while using the Clip+].
Honestly with only the X1 - RE-400 it is pretty spectacular. Very dynamic and musical but still within neutral boundaries IMO.
With the Clip+, it sounded constrained and limited in terms of dynamic and soundstage size, while with the X1 I am really liking it that much more and feel that now it is indeed a bit warmer and more musical than I thought it is
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for your response. My iem also slight in warm side but OK I will figure out soon.

Oct 14, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #3,118 of 7,793
  Hey @JamesFiiO and everyone else, I have some podcasts that I've loaded up on the X1. The X1 can't seem to play the files with a 22KHz sample rate, but the ones at 44KHz sample rate play fine. Is the 22KHz sample rate simply too low?

Yes, the beta firmware will allow playback of songs with sample rate under 32kHz. But you may want to wait for it to become official firmware.

Oct 14, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #3,120 of 7,793
Now doing a quick comparison test between the Clip Zip and X1 using my friend's IEMs; differences can say a bit nuanced (i.e. it's there but not exactly "day and night" difference).

Clip Zip: Bass a bit more
X1: Better separation

Will update more here as I test...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back