The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Jun 26, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #1,201 of 7,793

I also have the upcoming E11K prototype, which is arguably the best sub-$100 portable amp (assuming it will remain under $100) I have heard. This combination will serve as the best budget portable setup $200 can buy.

Looks like I need forget about my plans on getting Ihifi 770 and stay the course with the Fiio X1 
beerchug.gif
 and possible pairing with the E11K.

These are indeed truly fun times for the budget music lovers such as myself!

Jun 27, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #1,202 of 7,793
So shall we expect the scheduled timeline of july'14? And why there a price hike for just replacing a "replaceable nokia bl-5b" battery and adding suffix "k"?
Is there a overall change internally(circuit,components) and a face lift as well? Pls shed some light.........

I don't know the ETA of E11K, but it won't have an user replaceable battery for sure and the overall design will be very different from the E11.  Also, I didn't say it will be a price hike. I just don't know about the retail price so I'll rather not say anything in absolute.

As for the change in the circuit, I'll wait for FiiO to release the detail upon release or at least wait till it is about to release. Suffice to say it is much more than just a "facelift". It is a totally different beast.

Jun 27, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #1,203 of 7,793
I don't know the ETA of E11K, but it won't have an user replaceable battery for sure and the overall design will be very different from the E11.  Also, I didn't say it will be a price hike. I just don't know about the retail price so I'll rather not say anything in absolute.

As for the change in the circuit, I'll wait for FiiO to release the detail upon release or at least wait till it is about to release. Suffice to say it is much more than just a "facelift". It is a totally different beast.

Ok TY.

Im much intrigued by now,as you referred "totally different beast", which makes me think its next level of E12,with color options(as jds C5)...........just my thoughts.

Jun 27, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #1,204 of 7,793
Well, it isn't going to replace E12, but let just say it will be better bridge the gap currently between E11 and E12.

Jun 27, 2014 at 5:24 AM Post #1,207 of 7,793

Aluminum main body (front to the side) with a plastic back cover.

X1UI.jpg

The UI works similarly to some of the mod UI on X5. It is still in early beta stage at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it.

As for SQ - I don't have a stock X3 anymore (mine is mod'ed with AD8620) so I can't give you a comparison. But that being said, it is definitely on the warmer side of things, but it doesn't remind me that it is quite as warm as the stock X3. The actual SQ isn't as good as my mod'ed X3, but I think it is at least on par with any DAP on the $100 price bucket. For the least, I don't think it comes short compared to nano 7G or ColorFly C3. The only difference I can observe for now is that both nano 7G and C3 are on the leaner, more detail oriented side of the presentation where X1 is on the richer, tighter side of the presentation. The bass hit does come out much more pronouns on the X1, where they are often softer in tone in nano 7G or C3. The line-out is integrated into the same socket as headphone-out, and is selectable in option. It is actually quite clean and I think X1 will make for a pretty good source to feed an amp.

Please note that this is still an engineering sample, so it might not equal to what we will see on the retail version.

Thanks man 
smile.gif

Based on your description of the engineering sample's sound, it might be too warm for me. I probably will buy the X1 though, as I am not really "picky" with sound signatures anymore. As long as it does not sound very wrong in my ears, then it is all good. And I do not have budget anymore for audio stuffs. 

Jun 27, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #1,209 of 7,793

Thanks man 
smile.gif

Based on your description of the engineering sample's sound, it might be too warm for me. I probably will buy the X1 though, as I am not really "picky" with sound signatures anymore. As long as it does not sound very wrong in my ears, then it is all good. And I do not have budget anymore for audio stuffs. 

thats disappointing to me,,,,,i wanted a more neutral player,,warmer tone won't cut it for me.
guess would have to get something else.

i just think fiio has concentrated too much on the look and good construction and as a result sound was not a major priority at 100$,,,smart for business but bad for serious people

Jun 27, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #1,210 of 7,793
thats disappointing to me,,,,,i wanted a more neutral player,,warmer tone won't cut it for me.

i just think fiio has concentrated too much on the look and good construction and as a result sound was not a major priority at 100$,,,smart for business but bad for serious people

What neutral player are you currently using ?.....seriously

Jun 27, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #1,211 of 7,793

Err.. where were you all the time when James was talking about a warmer, bassier sounding sub$100 DAP that is X1?

Anyway, X1 is purposefully tuned to be warmer sounding because the track record FiiO has is that a consumer ("not audiophile") oriented DAP sells better when it is on the warm side. That's why they have a plan to make warmer sounding DAP on the entry level and more neutral sounding DAP on the higher end, in order to tailor to different taste. FiiO is just as serious about having a business as you are on your taste of SQ.

There is just no pleasing to everyone. Case in point - FiiO's warmer sounding X3 is selling very well in China, but you often will see criticism on Chinese forum on their X5 being "too bland", precisely because it is tuned to be more neutral sounding in order to meet the demand of the audiophile (*I believe I even read people calling FiiO's engineer as being "confusing").  Those who brought and enjoy their X3 just can't wrap their head around the difference in tuning between X3 and X5, just as you don't understand why X1 is tuned such a way. You have to remember, FiiO is not a self-proclaimed audiophile company, as much as they do care about that part of the business.

Jun 27, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #1,212 of 7,793
Err.. where were you all the time when James was talking about a warmer, bassier sounding sub$100 DAP that is X1?

Anyway, X1 is purposefully tuned to be warmer sounding because the track record FiiO has is that a consumer ("not audiophile") oriented DAP sells better when it is on the warm side. That's why they have a plan to make warmer sounding DAP on the entry level and more neutral sounding DAP on the higher end, in order to tailor to different taste. FiiO is just as serious about having a business as you are on your taste of SQ.

There is just no pleasing to everyone. Case in point - FiiO's warmer sounding X3 is selling very well in China, but you often will see criticism on Chinese forum on their X5 being "too bland", precisely because it is tuned to be more neutral sounding in order to meet the demand of the audiophile (*I believe I even read people calling FiiO's engineer as being "confusing").  Those who brought and enjoy their X3 just can't wrap their head around the difference in tuning between X3 and X5, just as you don't understand why X1 is tuned such a way. You have to remember, FiiO is not a self-proclaimed audiophile company, as much as they do care about that part of the business.

Hmm...if X5 is neutral for them (for me it is not, it is too thick) they how do they define dx90 or ipod video or studio v?

Jun 27, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #1,213 of 7,793
about the SQ, the most important thing is who is our customer and what sound they want.  X1 will be target to young people, X1 may be the first audiophile DAP they buy. we believe they will like warmer sound. of course, 

some may not like this but they can use the LO of x1 with an amp.

anyway, there are not an DAP can meet all the demand of sound for everyone.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jun 27, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #1,214 of 7,793
Hmm...if X5 is neutral for them (for me it is not, it is too thick) they how do they define dx90 or ipod video or studio v?

none can answer your question. and our X5 is selling very good in China too, it is the best sale in volume above $300 in China.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jun 27, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #1,215 of 7,793

I don't know about iPod video or Studio V, but DX90 doesn't fall into my understanding of 'totally neutral' (though it is also very close) simply because of the use of electrolytic output capacitor, which can be avoided totally with a competent design (which I know iBasso is capable of) and I assume it is there really just for sound tuning rather than DC decoupling.

To your question however - I don't read enough on DX90 but I do get the same general impression of blandness complaints on many of the iDevices. As for Studio V - most Chinese do not like HiSound (the company) and bash it enough that it is almost impossible to tell a biased opinion from an unbiased opinion. Not for me anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back