The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Oct 22, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #6,361 of 7,793
  Is it worth the about $300 for the fiio x5 or is there something better for cheaper price like xduoo x3 other dude mentioned

some reason the new 1.5 fireware made my fiio x1 when listening to music and trying to back out of the music it freezes for 5 secs and when i hit browse music there is also a 5 sec freeze

I cannot answer this question as I don't have much experience with other players. However, I doubt there's anything better sounding than X5 at a lower price, at least not in terms of technical performance, such as resolution, separation, clarity, definition, etc.

I also have issues with the new 1.5 firmware on my X1 - like you said, there seems to be quite a bit more delay when browsing folders versus 1.4 firmware and I also had an issue with sleep mode not working. So for now, I am back to 1.4...

BTW, I have seen some used X5 on sale for around $250, so you can find it for under $300 if you don't mind buying used.

Oct 22, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #6,362 of 7,793

I cannot answer this question as I don't have much experience with other players. However, I doubt there's anything better sounding than X5 at a lower price, at least not in terms of technical performance, such as resolution, separation, clarity, definition, etc.

I also have issues with the new 1.5 firmware on my X1 - like you said, there seems to be quite a bit more delay when browsing folders versus 1.4 firmware and I also had an issue with sleep mode not working. So for now, I am back to 1.4...

BTW, I have seen some used X5 on sale for around $250, so you can find it for under $300 if you don't mind buying used.

Thanks for the answer i dont mind buying them used. 

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #6,363 of 7,793
  Thanks for the answer i dont mind buying them used. 

Also remember that DACs and amp upgrades make a much smaller difference than headphone upgrades. This is especially true with low impedance, easy to drive headphones that don't require a powerful amp to sound great... But I will take Sennheiser HD800 or even HD600 out of Fiio X1's headphone out any day over HD555 out of X5... X1, especially when paired with a decent dedicated amp, like in your case, is actually not all that far off the X5 in sound quality - yes, there are differences in favor of X5, but they are quite marginal. Upgrading from Fidelio X1 to an HD800 will give you far more of a boost in sound quality than, say, upgrading your player from X1 to AK240. lol

What is it that you feel X1 is lacking in terms of sound? Have you considered that maybe it's your headphones that are actually lacking and not the X1? Or you may even just want to change to a headphone with a different sound signature that suits your tastes better...

Actually, I recently compared my Fiio X5 to X1 using Objective 2 amp and I have to say that I was hard pressed to tell which sounds better, even using my HD800... I know I said X5 sounds better than X1 and it does, but only if you use the headphone out, since X5 has a much better built in amp. With good dedicated amps via the line out, the differences between the two are MUCH smaller, because differences in sound quality between modern DACs are very small.

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #6,364 of 7,793

Also remember that DACs and amp upgrades make a much smaller difference than headphone upgrades. This is especially true with low impedance, easy to drive headphones that don't require a powerful amp to sound great... But I will take Sennheiser HD800 or even HD600 out of Fiio X1's headphone out any day over HD555 out of X5... X1, especially when paired with a decent dedicated amp, like in your case, is actually not all that far off the X5 in sound quality - yes, there are differences in favor of X5, but they are quite marginal. Upgrading from Fidelio X1 to an HD800 will give you far more of a boost in sound quality than, say, upgrading your player from X1 to AK240. lol

What is it that you feel X1 is lacking in terms of sound? Have you considered that maybe it's your headphones that are actually lacking and not the X1? Or you may even just want to change to a headphone with a different sound signature that suits your tastes better...

Actually, I recently compared my Fiio X5 to X1 using Objective 2 amp and I have to say that I was hard pressed to tell which sounds better, even using my HD800... I know I said X5 sounds better than X1 and it does, but only if you use the headphone out, since X5 has a much better built in amp. With good dedicated amps via the line out, the differences between the two are MUCH smaller, because differences in sound quality between modern DACs are very small.

i like accurate/neutral sounding headphones amp and dac but i wasnt planning on buying a new dac anytime soon. I was wondering what would be a good upgrade around the price range. I probably be upgrading to the hd 600-650 when i get the money.

Oct 24, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #6,365 of 7,793
I am very interested in the FiiO X1. But before i buy it i have some questions, maybe someone can help me.

a) how long is the battery life with mp3 files? Are the 12 hours really reachable or is it shorter?

b) does the player loose battery life when i dont use it for one or two weeks?

c) I have a full 64GB card with about 8.000 files (mostly audio books), is that a problem for the player?

d) Can i play audio books in the alphabethic order like sortet in windows?

e) where can i buy the black X1? I only can finde the silver one (in germany)

f) will the be an "X1 Version 2" in the next month or are no updates planed with this player?

g) is there an sleep timer on the player which i can set as standard when i start the player so i do not have to turn sleep mode on every time?

h) is it possible to delete files directly on the player?

Thanks in advance for your answers!
Greets, firemouz

Oct 24, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #6,366 of 7,793
I am very interested in the FiiO X1. But before i buy it i have some questions, maybe someone can help me.

a) how long is the battery life with mp3 files? Are the 12 hours really reachable or is it shorter?
re: 12 hours is just for reference. it is under common situation. so it also depended on the headphones and the volume.
b) does the player loose battery life when i dont use it for one or two weeks?
c) I have a full 64GB card with about 8.000 files (mostly audio books), is that a problem for the player?

re: the 5,800 files limited has been fixed.
d) Can i play audio books in the alphabethic order like sortet in windows?
re: sorry not
e) where can i buy the black X1? I only can finde the silver one (in germany)
Plz contact our distributor in there. 
f) will the be an "X1 Version 2" in the next month or are no updates planed with this player?
re: maybe after 8 or 10 months
g) is there an sleep timer on the player which i can set as standard when i start the player so i do not have to turn sleep mode on every time?

h) is it possible to delete files directly on the player?

Thanks in advance for your answers!
Greets, firemouz

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Oct 24, 2015 at 5:23 AM Post #6,367 of 7,793
Thank you for all the answes.

a) battery life: are the 12 hours the minimum, or could it be when i listen to loud music in high qualitiy that the player is empty in only 8 hours for example? Thats what i mean. Just to get an feeling about the battery life.

d) alpahbetic order: (how) is it possible to play audio books? On my computer they are with 01, 02, 03, ... sorted. Is there a possibility to play the audio book in the correct order?

Oct 24, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #6,368 of 7,793
Thank you for all the answes.

a) battery life: are the 12 hours the minimum, or could it be when i listen to loud music in high qualitiy that the player is empty in only 8 hours for example? Thats what i mean. Just to get an feeling about the battery life.

d) alpahbetic order: (how) is it possible to play audio books? On my computer they are with 01, 02, 03, ... sorted. Is there a possibility to play the audio book in the correct order?

a) if you know of a brand that gives battery specs as the absolute minimum in 24/192, volume maxed out into an impossible to drive headphone, with EQ and all DSPs ON, you call me. of course it's not the minimum. it never is on any DAP(well maybe on those with no screen, no dsp and no compatibility for heavy formats).

d) the X1 will tend to follow the01 02... order of the track names. and if not, just with mp3tag you can edit the names and track order to be sure to play them in the right order. so it's possible. the main drawback IMO using audiobook, is that they won't be separated from the rest of the songs if you want to play a "shuffle all" setting.

Oct 24, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #6,369 of 7,793
Is this normal if X1 turns on by a single press?
My new X1 turns on by a single press (like 9 out of 10 times, it turns on by a single press). Also long press is working too. But Manual says that it suppose to turn on by a 3 to 5 sec. Press.

Oct 24, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #6,370 of 7,793
My new X1 turns on by a single press (like 9 out of 10 times, it turns on by a single press). Also long press is working too. But Manual says that it suppose to turn on by a 3 to 5 sec. Press.

it happened to me few times i believe

Oct 24, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #6,371 of 7,793
Hello Meshaboo,

Was your card formatted in exFAT by any chance?
redface.gif

Hey! Well, all I know is that I have not touched this card since I first formatted it to the proper format, and that early in the year. The card hasn't been formatted in any kind of way since.

Oct 24, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #6,372 of 7,793

A single press is used to lock and unlock X1. For example, if you are playing a music, press pause, then single click the power button, it will enter in lock state without playing music, and it is on. A single press will wake it up instantaneously.

A long press should be used to turn it off, and then only a long press will turn it on.

You can tell if it is locked (but on) by looking at the blue led. If the blue led is on, and the screen is off, then a single press will unlock X1 and will instantly turn on the screen.

Oct 24, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #6,373 of 7,793
Hello Meshaboo,

Was your card formatted in exFAT by any chance? :xf_eek:

Hey! Well, all I know is that I have not touched this card since I first formatted it to the proper format, and that early in the year. The card hasn't been formatted in any kind of way since.

Does that mean it was formatted by the X1?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 24, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #6,374 of 7,793

Hello,

Although having the player turn on only via a long press is the documented design, some X1's do exhibit the unfortunate tendency to turn on with only a short press. I hope this hasn't been inconveniencing you substantially :xf_eek:

Have you tried updating to the latest firmware to see if the problem goes away?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/781372/official-x1-stable-firmware-discussion-thread-version-1-5-long-hard-work-brings-concrete-improvements

Best regards,
Joe

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 24, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #6,375 of 7,793
Does that mean it was formatted by the X1?

And does that mean I should do something to fix it? Should I re-format it :/ I don't wanna, it's gonna take hours :frowning2: ArghhH!!!!! At least I have a 2tb external that I use to basically copy the structure of my X1. All the folders I painstakingly made are there. I REFUSED to EVER go thru that kind of pain again, hahah

Users who are viewing this thread

Back