The FiiO E10K--all-new DAC and amp stages
May 27, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #1,006 of 1,083
bump!
I did some listening with bass switch in off position and I think porta pro disorts less or not at all now. Bass boos is nice but with all music.

also
I've stumbled about post in which user was insisting that using 100% windows volume is bad for all dac's. Anyone know anything about this? also, what settings are recommended in windows 10 audio properties of e10k ?

edit: here is the link
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/o2-amp-odac.616331/page-249#post_11106527

May 27, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #1,007 of 1,083
bump!
I did some listening with bass switch in off position and I think porta pro disorts less or not at all now. Bass boos is nice but with all music.

also
I've stumbled about post in which user was insisting that using 100% windows volume is bad for all dac's. Anyone know anything about this? also, what settings are recommended in windows 10 audio properties of e10k ?

edit: here is the link
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/o2-amp-odac.616331/page-249#post_11106527

100% windows volume is good, otherwise you're loosing bit depth on the digital side of things.

Jun 8, 2017 at 5:28 AM Post #1,008 of 1,083
one question
has someone seen somewhere on the internet (probably not), a bigger volume wheel for the e10k ??
i came to idea that maybe it would be possible to make a bigger one, for easier grip and easier use, like for 3d printing or some design in some 3d program, like autocad, which can be used for making the wheel later on, or from the wood if the design for 3d printing would not appear
i am talking about depth / length of the wheel, diameter is fine, i would just wish that the wheel is a bit longer for easier grip, like 1 cm in length, stock one is 0,5 cm in length, or to say 5 mm
i would try to make it myself, but i don't know how to work in autocad or in some other 3d design program...

i pulled off the wheel from mine to make some measurements, roughly with a ruler (i don't have some exact measurement tool) , and i came to this measurements:
wheel diameter - side with numbers - 1,8 cm or 18 mm
wheel length - where you grip it - 0,5 cm or 5 mm - i think that 1 cm length of the wheel would be enough for nice grip
hole for mounting - inner diameter - roughly 6 mm
- outer diameter - roughly 8 mm
- from flat part to inner edge - roughly 4 mm
hole for mounting extends from the wheel on the back side roughly 2 mm
total length of the stock pot with extending hole is 7 mm
total length of the bigger pot with extending hole would be 12 to 13 mm

would the be possible to make ??
or at least a design to share for printing
i know that it's possible to make it out of the wood, which would be also easier to do, but i think that 3d printing would make knob nicer
for wood, round piece with 1 cm length, 6 mm hole on one end, and a small hole on the side for fixing bolt would be enough

because only thing, that i think is a little bit lacking on the fiio is the small volume wheel, and the bigger one would make use of it far better and more enjoyable

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2017 at 12:59 AM Post #1,009 of 1,083
I've had my e10k since 2014 (early revision without the dial off feature), but I'm getting to the point where the channel imbalance at low volume levels, between 0-2 for me, is starting to get to me because I tend to listen at ~ 1. Is there anyway to fix this without reducing the volume in my OS?

Jun 11, 2017 at 1:08 AM Post #1,010 of 1,083
one question
has someone seen somewhere on the internet (probably not), a bigger volume wheel for the e10k ??
i came to idea that maybe it would be possible to make a bigger one, for easier grip and easier use, like for 3d printing or some design in some 3d program, like autocad, which can be used for making the wheel later on, or from the wood if the design for 3d printing would not appear
i am talking about depth / length of the wheel, diameter is fine, i would just wish that the wheel is a bit longer for easier grip, like 1 cm in length, stock one is 0,5 cm in length, or to say 5 mm
i would try to make it myself, but i don't know how to work in autocad or in some other 3d design program...

i pulled off the wheel from mine to make some measurements, roughly with a ruler (i don't have some exact measurement tool) , and i came to this measurements:
wheel diameter - side with numbers - 1,8 cm or 18 mm
wheel length - where you grip it - 0,5 cm or 5 mm - i think that 1 cm length of the wheel would be enough for nice grip
hole for mounting - inner diameter - roughly 6 mm
- outer diameter - roughly 8 mm
- from flat part to inner edge - roughly 4 mm
hole for mounting extends from the wheel on the back side roughly 2 mm
total length of the stock pot with extending hole is 7 mm
total length of the bigger pot with extending hole would be 12 to 13 mm

would the be possible to make ??
or at least a design to share for printing
i know that it's possible to make it out of the wood, which would be also easier to do, but i think that 3d printing would make knob nicer
for wood, round piece with 1 cm length, 6 mm hole on one end, and a small hole on the side for fixing bolt would be enough

because only thing, that i think is a little bit lacking on the fiio is the small volume wheel, and the bigger one would make use of it far better and more enjoyable

There are other places you can look, but I found this to be a good place to start.
http://www.mouser.com/Electromechanical/Knobs-Dials/_/N-5g22?P=1yzrp3b

Jun 12, 2017 at 4:17 AM Post #1,011 of 1,083
I've had my e10k since 2014 (early revision without the dial off feature), but I'm getting to the point where the channel imbalance at low volume levels, between 0-2 for me, is starting to get to me because I tend to listen at ~ 1. Is there anyway to fix this without reducing the volume in my OS?

Dear friend,

It is a normal feature of the potentiometer instead of a hardware issue. You may try to add a resistance cable for help.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jun 12, 2017 at 5:19 AM Post #1,012 of 1,083
Dear friend,

It is a normal feature of the potentiometer instead of a hardware issue. You may try to add a resistance cable for help.

Best regards

I can confirm what FiiO said here, this happens with ultra high end products as well, a bit of channel imbalance at the end of the track of a potentiometer is absolutely normal, nothing to worry about.

Jun 18, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #1,013 of 1,083
I measured the Fiio E10Ks lineout and low gain output via RMAA and a Creative E-MU 0404 audio interface. The measurements are not that great. Included a few for comparison:

142.PNG

Jun 18, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #1,014 of 1,083
I measured the Fiio E10Ks lineout and low gain output via RMAA and a Creative E-MU 0404 audio interface. The measurements are not that great. Included a few for comparison:

The measurements look okay, around where I would had expected them to be actually. Which measurement would you had wished to have been different? I mean, considering that E10K also has an interesting price point, build quality, and driving power.

E-Mu 404 is more than twice the price of E10K if I'm not mistaken...

Nov 6, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #1,016 of 1,083
Need help
My laptop (X1 Carbon 1st Gen) only have 2 USB ports.
Is it okay to use this cable / splitter for FiiO E10K and wired mouse / wireless receiver?
The USB output power from my laptop seems so powerful, clean, and possible to charge smartphone when my laptop is powered off or on sleep state.
So I assume it's safe to powering 2 devices.
I don't want powered USB hub.

xiaomi-l-shape-micro-usb-cable-with-1-extra-port-for-smartphone-white-3.jpg

51SEQR9w3OL._SX425_.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #1,020 of 1,083
Question, Is the line out on the rear of the unit constant voltage? Like if I was to use this just as a DAC to a different Amp is that the line out that i would use?

Yes, that's exactly what the rear line out is for ... connection to a different amp or powered speakers. The volume knob in the front and the bass boost switch do not affect the line out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back