The Everything MOD Gallery!
May 11, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #241 of 247
Got it. I didn't look closely enough I guess.

I plan to be contributing to the Everything mod gallery pretty soon as I'll be getting out of school in a few weeks. Just got the AD700 and we all know those need paint desperately. Not to mention my ambitious plans to overhaul the HE-400's I have but I might end up wimping out on that.

Awesome man, I have been hoping for more contributions from other members too.

Do post up the audio technica modifications, I'm a big fan of AT. as for the HE400, what do you plan on doing? A very nice upgrade for the comfort on those is a planar pad (just search Planar Pad HifiMan in Google, first link). My biggest gripe with those headphones was the comfort, or lack there of. They're only a slight upgrade in comfort from Grados.

May 11, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #242 of 247
Awesome man, I have been hoping for more contributions from other members too.

Do post up the audio technica modifications, I'm a big fan of AT. as for the HE400, what do you plan on doing? A very nice upgrade for the comfort on those is a planar pad (just search Planar Pad HifiMan in Google, first link). My biggest gripe with those headphones was the comfort, or lack there of. They're only a slight upgrade in comfort from Grados.

Yep. I have some leather at home and was planning on making a suspension strap for the Hifimans. I don't want a suspension strap in the usual sense, but much like in the Sony MDR-1R how there is a small amount of elastic within the pleather at the top. It has almost all the comfort of a full suspension strap, but looks much cleaner.
I keep going back and forth on making my own pads or buying Audeze Vegan pads or Hifiman Focus Pads. I was also going to tape the pads down to decrease back venting. I plan on doing the fuzzor mod for sure to tone down the treble. I was also going to make my own custom grills with a cool design, and have them attach via magnets. I was going to make my own cups out of wood, and also use the wood to make a closed back cover with magnets in it. That way I could pop the grills on or pop the wood circles on and have closed or open back headphones. I was planning on insulating the whole thing with Audimute Peacemaker to improve isolation in the closed version as well as reduce reflections off the inside of the cup. I also wanted to polish up the gimbals to match the texture of the grills that I was going to make.

As for the AT, just paint and maybe a bass mod. I might try to increase the clamp of the top prong like things, but I don't like the rubber band solution. To me it looks tacky. I also have to undent the grills and 3D print a part on the head prongs as the previous owner was rough with these. I might try to bring the bass up or tone back the highs but I have no idea where I'd start.

I was planning on recabling both as well. I think I'm going to use 3.5mm plugs.

While were at it. I've considered modding my Sony MDR-1R because the isolation is very poor. I really don't want to change the sound though. I was thinking of lining the inside cup with dynamat or audimute peacemaker but am concerned about increasing reflections in the cup of certain frequencies and changing the sound characteristic. I have also thought about messing with the vent at the back in an effort to increase the extension in the bass.

May 11, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #243 of 247
I doubt you'll get better bass extension by covering up, even partially, the filtered cup vent.  You should get Brainwavz HM5 pads first, then trick out with modding - you will get better results that way.  I dynamat'd my 1R when I had it, too, just the backside of the baffle and the driver's rear.

May 11, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #244 of 247
  I doubt you'll get better bass extension by covering up, even partially, the filtered cup vent.  You should get Brainwavz HM5 pads first, then trick out with modding - you will get better results that way.  I dynamat'd my 1R when I had it, too, just the backside of the baffle and the driver's rear.

My favorite part about the MDR-1R is their low profile. HM5 pads are a tad big for what I'm going for. I'll definitely consider them for the AT though.

What would you say the effects of your mod was? Everything I see on the MDR-1R is a mod to try to "bring out the detail" and it just seems that it would dramatically increase backwaves and/or the volume of the treble. (Too many folks call treble emphasis "detail," but that is an argument i I like the laid back sound sig of the MDR-1R but would really like some better bass extension if it could be easily achieved.

May 11, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #245 of 247
Dynamat on the back of a driver tightens and cleans up the sound, and depending on the headphone, eliminates some of the treble peaks, eliminates harshness, improves bass extension, and can even bring out a bit more detail.
With the 1R, it just gave it a tighter, cleaner sound.  The Brainwavz pads won't change their profile much if at all, and they give the bass and treble all the clarity and control that they so much lack with the stock pads.  The midrange sounds better as a result, too.  The headphone becomes fully extended to 20Hz as well.  What won't improve is isolation.  Dynamat only had an almost subtle effect; the earpads were what made a big improvement - it happens to go from almost total chump to one of the best under $200, and its FR balance is something different from the other good closed-backs in that price range, too, which I believe adds a bit to its value.  Earpad changes generally don't affect a headphone too much, but 1R is one of those little exceptions, it makes me think that Sony's designers were wasted or something when they chose the earpads.

May 13, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #246 of 247
Thanks Mad Max,
I'm definitely going to have to go for it then. I'm going to add the Audimute Peacemaker as well to improve isolation.

What probably happened was Sony seperatd the sound engineers from the designers when building their headphones. The pads are comfy enough, slim, and stylish. But I could totally see how they are negatively impacting the sound.

May 16, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #247 of 247
Hello guys, it looks like we have a few brilliant mod gurus here - so I'm taking a moment to ask for help. I just got a new DT 150 can and it has some serious potential but needs some serious mods! But I can't figure out how to open it up or what kind of foam damping material to buy or where (looking for about 2mm thick). Anyway you can see my full post with photos here. It's kind of lonely over there so if anybody can help me on that thread would be nice, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back