The Etymotics HF5 Thread
Jun 7, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #391 of 567
Had to chime in here. I purchased a pair of HF5s on Amazon's lightning deal. I happen to get the last pair and even confirmed through an email. Then for some reason the vendor running the lightning deal charged my credit card for the full 109.99 regular selling price. I called Amazon and they looked over my account and promised a resolution. As it turns out, they found the mistake and as a gesture of good will, they refunded my account the full purchase price of the HF5s. So I got a brand new pair, already delivered via Prime, for free. Amazing customer service.

Anyway, I am very much liking what I am hearing. I tried both of the triple flange tips and just could not get a desirable seal. The best tip for me has always been the Comply Comfort Fit large. It doesn't insert nearly as deep but seals completely for me. I have completely different ear canal shapes left and right. Bass on these is great with a proper seal. Highs and detail are amazing. I am beginning to see what all of the Ety hype is about. Looking forward to much more time with them.

Jun 7, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #393 of 567
I get the best comfort and fit using Atrio double-flanges.  These tips are made of a slicker silicone than the Etymotic tips so they slide in easier for a good deep fit.  I can wear them for hours without discomfort.

I didn't actually even care for these too much until I found these tips.  Now, the HF3s are one of the few IEMs that I will never get rid of.

Jun 11, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #395 of 567
Quote:
I get the best comfort and fit using Atrio double-flanges.  These tips are made of a slicker silicone than the Etymotic tips so they slide in easier for a good deep fit.  I can wear them for hours without discomfort.

I didn't actually even care for these too much until I found these tips.  Now, the HF3s are one of the few IEMs that I will never get rid of.

Where can anyone get hold of those?

Jun 18, 2013 at 6:31 AM Post #400 of 567
So I got these a few days ago. An first impressions were they were rubbish. Then i realized I didn't have a proper seal then wow what a difference that made. 

The more I listen to them the better they sound, the sound is so clear and sharp. There are subtle details in tracks that I didn't notice before, they really are great on detail and clarity.  Coming from using the monoprice iems before and soundmagic e30s, the first thing I noticed was the lack of bass.

Now with a good seal and a bit more time for them to burn in the bass has certainly improved and is pretty decent. The thing is it's much more punchy and  flat than the other iems I've used. Now I think this is something I might get used to, but I'm not sure. 

I listen to a lot of edm and electronic music in general and I just miss that punch where you can actually feel the bass in your ear. Now I'm not a basshead by any means but I  just like a bit of oomph. I don't find myself tapping my foot and gerting into the edm as much as when I was using my other iems. The clarity and sound is so clear though I'm in 2 minds about them. I want to keep them but I can't help wondering if I'd be better off with something more bass driven. I just need these headphones with slightly more bass is how I feel at the moment.

See a lot of people talking about gr07 and triple fi 10, do you think these would be more suitable for electronic music, or maybe it's just a matter of adjusing to the bass, I'm not sure.

Jun 18, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #401 of 567
I happen to like the HF5(3) with electronic music because of the clarity, but you are right: they will never have the impact of the two phones you mentioned.  Both of those work well with electronic music, IMO (although it has been a few years since I had the triple fi)

My new fave for electronic music (and just about everything else) is the PFE 232 (no longer manufactured, but available for $411 at earphone solutions) 

Jun 21, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #402 of 567
Well I'm sticking with the hfs, the bass is decent and i think it can be boosted to where I want it with an amp. Can anyone recommend some other tios though. The tri flange that come with it, fit nicely and sound great but they hurt my ears, is there any other tips that are just as isolating but more comfortable, Shure tri flange tips maybe? Or should I cut a tip off the tri flange? Also hear klipsch gels are nice.

Jun 21, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #403 of 567
Look for my response a few posts back. Atrio double-flange.

Jul 7, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #405 of 567
Just found some info about HF5 (after recabling my), and my opinion that unfortunatly, they have different driver than ER4s Knowles Acoustic ED29689. ED29689 have 3 terminals, and another polarity than HF5 driver.

HF5, blue wire (+) on the left side, 2 terminals                      ER4, x-ray image

ED29689, 3 terminals                                                         Terminals polarity, from datasheet

Rin Choi also think that they are close, but not the same:

http://rinchoi.blogspot.ru/2013/04/etymotic-research-hf-3-er-4-equivalent.html

Addition...

Made some search on KA site... Maybe its http://www.knowles.com/search/prods_pdf/ED-23619-000.pdf? But strange why they are used inverted polarity?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back