The Etymotics HF5 Thread
Dec 1, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #361 of 567
I just parted with my Denon AH-D2000's, which were my very first pair of hi-fi cans, and I instantly had buyer's remorse. I managed to sell them for twice what I bought them for, so that eased the pain a little bit, but I had a moment of terror that I would never have another pair of headphones that would even come close, or rather I should say that would give me as much satisfaction to wear, use, and look at. I picked up some used HF5's for a terrific deal on Amazon, and after some initial regret and disappointment, I can honestly say that these are an adequate replacement for my Denons. For me, the isolation and size of these Ety's are very desirable, and I daresay that they might be more accurate than the Denons, and I don't particularly miss the bass. Plus I can listen to these most anywhere, and with the Denons I was only using the practically at home, but at home I have a hi-fi speaker system that delivers sound that no headphones can.

Dec 2, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #362 of 567
Thank you Etymotics for an amazing pair of IEM's, these bad boys came in the mail yesterday and I have hardly taken them out of my ear at all. Coming from the Klipsch S4, these are really blowing my mind. I typically stick to cans for my listening pleasure, but the open dynamics make it hard not to get death glares in public. The portability and recreation of a proper sound signature is what makes the HF5's really shine! Take that lady behind the counter at the coffee shop!!! I can now have my metal and coffee without your judgmental glares. Oh and thank you amazon for knocking $50 off these IEM's. They are well worth full MSRP tho... Couldn't be happier. Rock on \m/

Dec 5, 2012 at 7:14 AM Post #364 of 567
Just got my Etymotic hf2 in the post this morning and I have to say I'm very impressed. This is the first high-quality audio product I've ever bought and I reckon it's completely worth the 90 pounds I dropped for it :)

I was testing it just now on my computer, having plugged it into the headphone jack, then adjusted the volume control in Windows. When I heard the ding, I thought it wasn't plugged in properly as I thought the sound was coming loud and clear through the speakers. It's only after fiddling around that I realised the sound actually was coming through the earphones! That's quite a testament to it's quality that it fooled me into thinking the sound was coming from my speakers lol.

Only trouble now is that I can't use it to listen to music on YouTube as it sounds really terrible and hollow. The motherboard's Realtek sound card also picks up bursts of interference from other components and it's very audible, so I'll have to get a discrete sound card now (damn you Head-Fi!).

Dec 5, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #365 of 567
Quote:
Just got my Etymotic hf2 in the post this morning and I have to say I'm very impressed. This is the first high-quality audio product I've ever bought and I reckon it's completely worth the 90 pounds I dropped for it
smily_headphones1.gif

I was testing it just now on my computer, having plugged it into the headphone jack, then adjusted the volume control in Windows. When I heard the ding, I thought it wasn't plugged in properly as I thought the sound was coming loud and clear through the speakers. It's only after fiddling around that I realised the sound actually was coming through the earphones! That's quite a testament to it's quality that it fooled me into thinking the sound was coming from my speakers lol.
Only trouble now is that I can't use it to listen to music on YouTube as it sounds really terrible and hollow. The motherboard's Realtek sound card also picks up bursts of interference from other components and it's very audible, so I'll have to get a discrete sound card now (damn you Head-Fi!).

The hf2 is also very prone to hiss. I can tell you that an amp really helps... Will you be using your pc for gaming? Else get an amp/dac instead of a sound card, more value for your money.

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #366 of 567
The hf2 is also very prone to hiss. I can tell you that an amp really helps... Will you be using your pc for gaming? Else get an amp/dac instead of a sound card, more value for your money.

These will mostly be used with my phone (which has no issues) rather than my PC tbh - I mostly use the speakers otherwise.

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #367 of 567
Quote:
These will mostly be used with my phone (which has no issues) rather than my PC tbh - I mostly use the speakers otherwise.

Then go for a portable amp, I guess. Maybe the fiio e11? Alternatively the e17, if you also use the headphones at your computer, because then you will also get a dac.
Better value than sound cards AND portable. Atleast if it is only for music.
Basically the sound cards and the amps does the exact same when it comes to music.

Dec 6, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #369 of 567
I received my Etymotic HF3 (Cobalt) in the morning and I was immediately blown away by the clarity and detail. They sound colder and a bit tiny compared to my Sennheiser HD598 and a lot more detailed compared to the Klipsch S4i. All in all, I really enjoyed this purchase and if it wasn't for you guys I don't know which iem I would've purchased instead.

Dec 10, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #370 of 567
I can vouch for the durability of these little Etys. Just accidentally ran mine through the washing machine. Still work perfectly fine.

I thought there might be a bit of graininess to the driver, but it turns out that's just because I was coming from the Sony Z1000, which is crystal clear.

Dec 21, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #371 of 567
Maybe this is the wrong place to post this (being the "Appreciation" thread), but the HF5's can be had for $90 (includes shipping!):

http://www.jr.com/

Add the HF5's. They're $99.99 ($50 off their usual $150).
Add this $0.01 Flip camcorder cover to reach $100: http://www.jr.com/flip-video/pe/PUF_AWP1B
Add the HOLIDAY10 coupon code to get $10 (it only works with a $100 or higher cart).

Of course, J&R is an authorized reseller and you'll get the standard Etymotic 2-year warranty. :)

~Ibrahim~

Dec 26, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #374 of 567
Well, I found an even better deal! The Etymotic Hf2 is HALF OFF! It's only $83 at Amazon and it includes the new Awareness app for Android that lets in ambient sounds!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007TCXI1U/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1356539834&sr=8-9&pi=SL75

Just bought it! So excited! :)

Jan 2, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #375 of 567
Well, I found an even better deal! The Etymotic Hf2 is HALF OFF! It's only $83 at Amazon and it includes the new Awareness app for Android that lets in ambient sounds!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007TCXI1U/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1356539834&sr=8-9&pi=SL75

Just bought it! So excited! :)

Quick update: definite upgrade over the Brainwavz M2 pair I had. My music has so many sounds that I had never heard before. I can hear the guitar strings actually vibrate!

Isolation is great. It's not silent, but it's pretty quiet: great for commutes.

Bass is lighter than the decidedly warn M2s, but comes and goes very cleanly.

Ljokerl stated it had low microphonics, but they are present, even more than my M2 pair. The included shirt clip fixes that easily, though.

Awareness app isn't bad at all, but you give up quite a bit of sound quality. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back