The Etymotics HF5 Thread
Jul 11, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #407 of 567
My cables are stuffed at the Y connect or whatever you call it. The point where the one cable splits into two. I have to hold it on a certain angle otherwise 1 ear cuts out

Is there a cheapish way to fix this? I went to one shop and they said at the price it would cost they said just buy a new pair instead :frowning2:

Jul 13, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #408 of 567
Quote:
My cables are stuffed at the Y connect or whatever you call it. The point where the one cable splits into two. I have to hold it on a certain angle otherwise 1 ear cuts out

Is there a cheapish way to fix this? I went to one shop and they said at the price it would cost they said just buy a new pair instead :frowning2:

This happened to two pair of mine, the second pair not being in warranty. I still have the broken pair but haven't sent them in to be replaced (it's $75.00 USD I believe). I just don't see any reason to buy another pair if they're going to break again.

The good news is that you can also send in the broken HF5 to upgrade to the ER4 for much less. I think around $140. So, send a check for $140 and your broken HF5 and you have a new pair of ER4. That's what I'm going to do, because the ER4 doesn't seem to have this problem, based on my research.

-sheldon

Jul 14, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #409 of 567
Quote:
This happened to two pair of mine, the second pair not being in warranty. I still have the broken pair but haven't sent them in to be replaced (it's $75.00 USD I believe). I just don't see any reason to buy another pair if they're going to break again.

The good news is that you can also send in the broken HF5 to upgrade to the ER4 for much less. I think around $140. So, send a check for $140 and your broken HF5 and you have a new pair of ER4. That's what I'm going to do, because the ER4 doesn't seem to have this problem, based on my research.

-sheldon

Just as a note, I own both a modified ER4 (originally P) and a HF3 - or what remains of the HF3.  The HF-series' cables may not be the best constructed devices out there - mine developed the breaking at the seams after about 2 years, and my attempts to DIY repair the cables have not worked that well.  (I'm currently planning to buy a stock samsung earbud for their galaxy phones and attempt to swap the cable in along with soldering a 100ohm resistor inline to each channel in a manner similar to how some in this thread have suggested)  

That said, the ER4 has some serious disadvantages over the HF-series that you may want to keep in mind:

* The cable is definitely more microphonic, and it's a lot harder to wrap the cable around your ears to reduce that (well, it's harder to without modifications)

* There's no inline remote in the cable.

* It's more expensive too.

Honestly, the sound profiles of the two sets is so insanely close, that with adequate resistance added to the HF, I really can't tell the difference sound-wise - both are ludicrously good.

The one major advantage that I see the ER-series having (or used to have) is that the cable is detachable.  (at least it is with mine)  

I was able to order (through ebay) adapters that make it compatible with Shure cables, and am using 3rd party headphone cables (currently a Fiio cable) along with the custom ear molds (which also work perfectly on the HF-series as well) as well as the official 75ohm adapter.  This allows you to fix quite a bit of the downsides to the ER-series... However, if I can successfully hack together a samsung earbuds' cable (along with its inline remote/mic and 100 or 92 ohm resistors), then I'll probably switch back to the HF-again since it's REALLY convenient being able to have some control over my note 2 from an inline remote.

In truth, you really can't go wrong with either option - and even though I may have my issues with the cord construction with the HF-series, I will say that as long as you're in warranty, the company really supports their product well, and will probably just repair the units for no more than the cost of shipping (at least they did in my case).  I've been using etymotics products for nearly a decade I believe ever since I first got ER-6 buds, and can't say enough good things over all. 

Jul 20, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #410 of 567
Quote:
Just as a note, I own both a modified ER4 (originally P) and a HF3 - or what remains of the HF3.  The HF-series' cables may not be the best constructed devices out there - mine developed the breaking at the seams after about 2 years, and my attempts to DIY repair the cables have not worked that well.  (I'm currently planning to buy a stock samsung earbud for their galaxy phones and attempt to swap the cable in along with soldering a 100ohm resistor inline to each channel in a manner similar to how some in this thread have suggested)  

That said, the ER4 has some serious disadvantages over the HF-series that you may want to keep in mind:

* The cable is definitely more microphonic, and it's a lot harder to wrap the cable around your ears to reduce that (well, it's harder to without modifications)

* There's no inline remote in the cable.

* It's more expensive too.

Honestly, the sound profiles of the two sets is so insanely close, that with adequate resistance added to the HF, I really can't tell the difference sound-wise - both are ludicrously good.

The one major advantage that I see the ER-series having (or used to have) is that the cable is detachable.  (at least it is with mine)  

I was able to order (through ebay) adapters that make it compatible with Shure cables, and am using 3rd party headphone cables (currently a Fiio cable) along with the custom ear molds (which also work perfectly on the HF-series as well) as well as the official 75ohm adapter.  This allows you to fix quite a bit of the downsides to the ER-series... However, if I can successfully hack together a samsung earbuds' cable (along with its inline remote/mic and 100 or 92 ohm resistors), then I'll probably switch back to the HF-again since it's REALLY convenient being able to have some control over my note 2 from an inline remote.

In truth, you really can't go wrong with either option - and even though I may have my issues with the cord construction with the HF-series, I will say that as long as you're in warranty, the company really supports their product well, and will probably just repair the units for no more than the cost of shipping (at least they did in my case).  I've been using etymotics products for nearly a decade I believe ever since I first got ER-6 buds, and can't say enough good things over all. 

Thanks so much for the detailed response. This is very helpful.

I'll probably go for another pair of HF5 if the sound profile is the same. It's the isolation that's really important to me. 

I agree that the in-warranty support is very good. They replaced my HF5 when they broke.

Also, here is the link to the special purchase option (for those with broken ETY's this is the best way to replace them)

http://www.etymotic.com/cs/outwarranty.html

-sheldon

Jul 22, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #412 of 567
Quote:

Thanks so much for the detailed response. This is very helpful.

I'll probably go for another pair of HF5 if the sound profile is the same. It's the isolation that's really important to me. 

I agree that the in-warranty support is very good. They replaced my HF5 when they broke.

Also, here is the link to the special purchase option (for those with broken ETY's this is the best way to replace them)

http://www.etymotic.com/cs/outwarranty.html

-sheldon

I should clarify slightly and say that to my ears the sound profile is the same - though from all I can tell, the only effective differences lie in to what tolerance the drivers are matched and what resistance there is in the respective cables (the latter of which of course you can easily change with adapters - or if you're handy with a soldering iron, with actual resistors - and the former doesn't seem to be significant in my limited testing)

Also, the isolation is basically exactly the same - indeed, the tips/molds/etc are all swappable between the HF and ER series so if that's your determinant, then there's no point to the ER series.  

The special purchase program is another nice service from Etymotic, though somewhat frustratingly the prices listed aren't much below what you can often find on Amazon (indeed, the last time I checked the HF3 is $7 cheaper on Amazon) - plus the tinkerer in my likes the idea of being able to fix things (not that I often succeed :wink:

My ideal would be a HF5 upgrade with an easily detachable cable and inline controls that work with android and the inline mic - well, that plus the full resistance of a ER-S, but I guess that's what DIY is for...

Aug 16, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #414 of 567
Hi, I own an HF-5 and I'm wondering whether my custom Etymotic-Tips made with the Custom program are able to fit other IEM like the Westone or Shure lineup.
I've tried the search but it didn't yield results. Are there any guys among you with experience in using the custom tips on other IEMs and or modifications in making them fit these tips?

Aug 24, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #416 of 567
My primary headphones have been Etymotic ER-4P's for the last decade, and I've used ER-6i's as my backup/beater set for maybe 7 years.  The ER-6i's finally gave up one channel, so I just replaced them with HF3's under Etymotic's special purchase program.  I was originally going to go for the HF5's, but since I primarily use them with my iPod and occasionally iPhone, I decided to go with the HF3's, which are the exact same headphones with i-device and volume controls.  I'm liking them so far, although the cables are rather thin and a bit flimsy compares to my ER-4's.

One good thing about the HF series is that they are shorter than the ER4's, like the ER-6i's also were.  The ER-4's aren't always comfortable for wearing when trying to do something like sleeping, lounging on an airplane, or wearing under something else on your head like earmuffs or a helmet.

I'm also doing the Ety custom mold program, and should have them back in any day now.  One benefit with my headphone choice, is that the custom tips CAN be used on both the ER-4's and HF series.  So I can swap them out both headphones if desired.  However, according to Etymotic, they can NOT be used with other models, as the stem size and length is not the same.

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #417 of 567
Hello guys, just wondering if any ACS custom users got the full shells? I've only seen pictures of canal tips used for the HF5, but I was told by an ACS representative that full shells were also an option. I got the audiologist, price, and color down, but want to know if I should go full shell or canal.
Also, if any HF5/ACS users could help me out in my thread in the questions section, that would be great as well~
http://www.head-fi.org/t/680185/custom-acs-tips-maybe-amp

Sep 13, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #418 of 567
I just bought the HF5's. The descriptions I've read of these headphones seem to describe exactly how I feel with them. I only have two headphones to compare them to, VSonic's GR02 and Sennheiser's HD600. 

As for the HF5's, they definitely have amazing definition. The isolation is amazing. It isn't to the level that I can clap without hearing it, but it is far more quiet. I can separate instruments on this as well on this headphone as with my HD600 (or better). However, I wouldn't consider myself an audiophile, and think that I just realized I prefer the my GR02's lack of definition compared to the HF5's. I imagine it to be like two paintings. One is drawn by an expert painter (HF5) and one by an amateur (GR02). As someone who isn't very good at discerning art, the technique of the expert is lost to me and I seek the charms of the amateur (I think... I might just be pulling stuff out of my ass here).

However, I can really see why people love these headphones. I definitely will be keeping these rather than returning them and maybe they'll grow on me. They're definitely amazing for what I bought them for though, I was getting frustrated at constant interruptions while I studying in college, and it's like removing myself from everything else when I wear these. 

edit: pushed the tip deeper into the headphone. Nevermind what I said about prefering my other headphones. These sound far better now than my other iem

Sep 13, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #419 of 567
edit: pushed the tip deeper into the headphone. Nevermind what I said about prefering my other headphones. These sound far better now than my other iem

I was going to comment on that. Once you get the HF5 deep enough, you get what is nearly top tier performance for less than $100

Sep 14, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #420 of 567
Also, just boost the bass a little and they can be quite fun. Just don't overdo it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back