The Etymotics HF5 Thread
Sep 8, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #347 of 567
How have I not posted in this thread yet? 

I have had my Hf5s for about a week and a half now. I LOVE them. I have never heard anything this good. 
As I've heard several places before, if you can't hear new things in your music, your headphones were a waste of money. In that case, these were totally worth it!

I'm glad I decided to take a chance on these!

Now I just have to find/get a new DAP to match the signature of these...

Sep 8, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #348 of 567
How have I not posted in this thread yet? 

I have had my Hf5s for about a week and a half now. I LOVE them. I have never heard anything this good. 
As I've heard several places before, if you can't hear new things in your music, your headphones were a waste of money. In that case, these were totally worth it!

I'm glad I decided to take a chance on these!

Now I just have to find/get a new DAP to match the signature of these...

Glad you like em...

Have a look at the NRB Mod too.

Cheers, Jim

Sep 9, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #349 of 567
These aren't 4Ps and are plenty smooth enough already. Why mod them? It's not lIke Etymotic didn't choose their filter carefully on their more consumer freindly model. Perhaps folks should look elsewhere if they don't like their new phones or leave them be if they 'LOVE' them.

I don't own them but am a fan as they are very well balanced and informative as is. I actually prefer it to the too hot but more informative 4p which I think is somewhat compromised by being a derivitive of the 4s. Mod is more appropriate there for those that already own it.

Sep 9, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #350 of 567
These aren't 4Ps and are plenty smooth enough already. Why mod them? It's not lIke Etymotic didn't choose their filter carefully on their more consumer freindly model. Perhaps folks should look elsewhere if they don't like their new phones or leave them be if they 'LOVE' them.

I don't own them but am a fan as they are very well balanced and informative as is. I actually prefer it to the too hot but more informative 4p which I think is somewhat compromised by being a derivitive of the 4s. Mod is more appropriate there for those that already own it.

My opinion is such that I want to have options.

The Etymotic with the NRB Mod is the MOST customizable IEM on the market.

So, I agree with you to an extent. But, I go further and fine tune it.

Jim

Sep 9, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #351 of 567
Quote:
My opinion is such that I want to have options.
The Etymotic with the NRB Mod is the MOST customizable IEM on the market.
So, I agree with you to an extent. But, I go further and fine tune it.
Jim

I wouldn't say most customizeable...  You're still stuck modifiying only the higher mids and highs (not high highs).  You're stuck to a certain spectrum to damp.  Cable options are scarce for most Etymotic (unlike Westones, Aurisonics, Heir Audio, or something like the TF10).  Cables can make big differences in sound just like dampers.  

Sep 17, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #352 of 567
Just checking in, can't technically say I appreciate the HF5's yet, mine are still in the mail.

My 3'ish year old pair of ER-6i's just started to bite the dust today... left monitor is shorting, sound is cutting in and out.  Don't have the time or patience to DIY repair it so I pulled the trigger on a pair $99 HF5's off Amazon.  Looking forward to hearing how they compare.

How fragile are the HF5's in comparison to the ER-6i's for those who have had both?  It's likely my ER-6i's are shorting because I've pulled them out of my canals by the cable one too many times.

Sep 20, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #354 of 567
Just checking in, can't technically say I appreciate the HF5's yet, mine are still in the mail.

My 3'ish year old pair of ER-6i's just started to bite the dust today... left monitor is shorting, sound is cutting in and out.  Don't have the time or patience to DIY repair it so I pulled the trigger on a pair $99 HF5's off Amazon.  Looking forward to hearing how they compare.

How fragile are the HF5's in comparison to the ER-6i's for those who have had both?  It's likely my ER-6i's are shorting because I've pulled them out of my canals by the cable one too many times.

Nothing will survive repeatedly being pulled by the cable

Sep 20, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #355 of 567
Sep 21, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #356 of 567
I really like these HF5s. I bought them as a replacement for my RE 0s after the second set failed and have no regrets. They respond well to equalizing and the bass is more satisfying. I found the Klipsch oval tips fit these perfectly giving equal isolation without any discomfort plus the design supports the Ety's filter as well as their own tips.

Oct 19, 2012 at 5:57 AM Post #357 of 567

[size=13pt]Adding Impedance and Amping[/size]
[size=13pt]So I heard that by adding impedance to these such as the ER4P to ER4S adaptor or an attenuator bundled with earphones that you can make these pretty much as good as the ER4’s. So I got my UE airplane attenuator out which add 100 ohms of impedance and then went iMac to Objective 2 to HF5. OH GOD! The improvement was unreal, more details, more body, better presentation and transparency and a smoother sound overall. It was great.[/size]

[size=13pt]So the after some more experimenting I made the best iPhone rig that I have done today using the attenuator, my Phone 4 and my cMoy BB amp. Same effect and also super portable.[/size]

[size=13pt]If you have these I recommend playing around with this stuff.[/size]

Oct 19, 2012 at 8:06 AM Post #358 of 567
You can also get different filters for them that will change the sound, there is a thread somewhere here about it.

Also the drivers for the HF and ER models are essentially supposed to be the same, the ER drivers are just selected and matched to a closer tolerance.

Nov 27, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #359 of 567
My Beyerdynamics mmx 101 ie just broke. Still being in guaranty I´m getting them replaced with a pair of hf2 for 80€ at amazon.es. Looking forward to find out what all the fuss’s about, as I never tried earbuds with amateur drivers. I like the look of the triple fangs, hope they’ll be a got fit. Cheers

Nov 30, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #360 of 567
I'm back in the HF fold. My Etymotics MC3 broke so I managed to get a good second hand HF2, oh how I have missed this sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Back