The Etymotics HF5 Thread
Jun 6, 2012 at 6:09 AM Post #331 of 567
Quote:
New HF5 owner here. I'm not an audiophile but I just bought a Cowon J3 and I wanted to find a good pair of earphones to go along with it. I wanted something clear where I could hear the entire range of music without any one sound overpowering another. I knew there had to be better offerings than what was in stock at the local Best Buy so I started searching for information which led me to this site.

After reading tons of impressions and reviews, I settled on the Etymotic HF5. It was just a bit above my price range only because I told myself not to go crazy and buy $200 earphones. I got them a few days ago and they sound exactly like they have been described, very clear and detailed neutral sound across the board. Now I understand more what constitues a "cold" and "analytical" sound. It's great for most types of music, rock, pop, classical, and jazz. The bass being light and punchy, it's decent enough for bass heavy music such as rap but it would disappoint those who like a lot of bass. I also liked that I don't need an amp like the PK1 and it didn't have some odd adapter like the RE-Zero.

I'm very happy about my purchase and wanted to say thanks to everyone that posts their thoughts and ideas to help newbies such as myself.

If you start to experiment with various tips... Comply, Shure Black Foams. You will slightly change/improve the seal and the bass.

Congrats, and Welcome to the Audiophile Family.

Jim

Jun 6, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #332 of 567
New HF5 owner here. I'm not an audiophile but I just bought a Cowon J3 and I wanted to find a good pair of earphones to go along with it. I wanted something clear where I could hear the entire range of music without any one sound overpowering another. I knew there had to be better offerings than what was in stock at the local Best Buy so I started searching for information which led me to this site.

After reading tons of impressions and reviews, I settled on the Etymotic HF5. It was just a bit above my price range only because I told myself not to go crazy and buy $200 earphones. I got them a few days ago and they sound exactly like they have been described, very clear and detailed neutral sound across the board. Now I understand more what constitues a "cold" and "analytical" sound. It's great for most types of music, rock, pop, classical, and jazz. The bass being light and punchy, it's decent enough for bass heavy music such as rap but it would disappoint those who like a lot of bass. I also liked that I don't need an amp like the PK1 and it didn't have some odd adapter like the RE-Zero.

I'm very happy about my purchase and wanted to say thanks to everyone that posts their thoughts and ideas to help newbies such as myself.

greetings :)

Aug 2, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #333 of 567
these are my preferred  iems for when i try to learn new songs to play. I play guitar a lot and somehow these are the iems that allow me to easily catch those tricky notes that i can't really see clearly when i use other  bass heavy IEMS... plus they dont have to be hooked over the ear so its easy to work with them (i usually reserve use for my fun, bass heavy earhook IEMs for when i work out).  HF5= my favorite IEM for when i have nothing else to do but listen...   

Aug 2, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #334 of 567
Aug 4, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #335 of 567
All Etymotics are best for strictly monitoring.  To hear and to understand the tonality of the notes.  That's pretty much it.  They have no viciseral impact of weight to the presentation so they are poor for pleasure listening but surely great monitors.

Aug 5, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #336 of 567
That entirely depends on your definition of pleasure but yes there is not much weight in the bass region but plenty of reach and precission

Aug 8, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #337 of 567
Any other great single BA IEMs out there under $100? My only BA right now is the A151 and would like to pursue others 
biggrin.gif
 I had the ER6i many years ago, but couldn't go back to that 'sound'

Aug 8, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #338 of 567
Quote:
Any other great single BA IEMs out there? My only BA right now is the A151 and would like to pursue others 
biggrin.gif

Some single BAs (alphabetical order):
  1. ACS T15
  2. Dunu Ares
  3. Dunu Crius
  4. Etymotic HF2/3/5
  5. Etymotic ER4P/S
  6. MEE A161p
  7. Phonak PFE 1xx/0xx

Of this list, I'd put them in order of SQ like this: ACS T15 > Etymotic HF == Phonak PFE1xx > MEE A161p > Dunu Ares == Dunu Crius >= Phonak PFE 0xx

I haven't heard the Etymotic ER4, so I'd place it either in front of the ACS or behind it.  It won't go any further down though.

Aug 11, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #341 of 567
I have both, and these have a colder and more precise feel to them. Very neutral, where the TF10 has more of a V sound signature with a bit more fullness. I really dig them both, but the HF5 have a much better fitment, IMO. I haven't done a side by side, but I'd say the HF5 are a little more accurate with their neutral frequency response. It just sounds like the "intelligent man's" earphone. No frilliness and very well balanced. It sounds more "true" to the instruments.

Aug 22, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #342 of 567
I know there's been plenty of reviews on these but since I got mine back a few weeks ago I've been listening to them more and just wanted to give my impressions of them.

Bass - Now on a flat EQ the bass is light with a tight very accurate sound though the roll off on the lowest end.  If they’re EQ’ed up then they have much more impact and depth but still have a tight well controlled sound to them.  Take it a step further with an amp like the E11 and the bass is very satisfying  with very good punch and the sub-bass comes though much better.  Compared to the XBA-1 and R-30 the HF5 lacks some depth and has about the same amount of impact but the HF5 sound cleaner with better texture.

Mid - Balanced and very detailed, that’s the best way to describe the mids on the HF5.  They are perfectly balanced with the low and high end and have some of the best detail of any under $200 IEM I’ve heard and even ones over that price.  The resolution is fantastic and you can hear ever little detail of the music and sound in the midrange.

Highs - When I first got these I thought the highs might be a bit to hot for me but while they are bright with good sparkle they never seem to really get harsh and sibilance isn’t much of and issue at all.  Again the detail is great with cymbals and other high end sounds like high hats sound awesome on the HF5 and are still quite balanced with the rest of the frequencies.  The treble is a touch more forward than the mids but not to much and these are analytical but have a nice musicality to them as well.

Soundstage - Like many single BA’s the soundstage isn’t huge but its not tiny either with a good balanced between the width and depth.  They also have a decent 3-D stage which helps make the soundstage more enveloping and cohesive.  Separation is top notch and you never have a problem picking out instruments and other sounds in music or even movies.  Imaging to is very good but a little behind say the R-50 and TF10 though still very good.

All in all these are really good for only costing $100 (cobalt blue on Amazon).

Sep 7, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #344 of 567
Hiya all, recently purchased my first pair of decent IEMs in the Ety HF5. Just checking in, and saying hi.

Howdy, and Welcome Aboard the Crazy Train...

LOLz

Jim

Sep 7, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #345 of 567
Sup, V. I love my HF5s. I can guarantee those won't be the last pair you purchase, though. Especially since you registered on this site. I originally came in here looking for one decent pair and ended up with everything in my sig and my appetite only seems to be getting larger... Enjoy the quest for sonic bliss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back