The Etymotics HF5 Thread
Jan 2, 2011 at 2:35 AM Post #226 of 567
The HF5 are so much more clear and really reflect the source material; if the highs sparkle or the mids are lush, that's what you'll hear. The IE8s are really flavored: sweet, smooth and lush but also dark at the same time. It's not that they're not clear in the highs; the details are there, they just are more the aftertaste than the what is most obvious. But the soundstage is fantastic and where the sound comes from is always so intriguing; you really feel enveloped by the music. One of the problems with the HF5 is that you're always so aware of the music; its constantly demanding your attention (whether bass, mids or highs) but also rewarding your attention at the same time. Sometimes, I really like that; other times, you just want to fall into the music and be enveloped in it, and the IE8s are awesome for that!

Jan 6, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #227 of 567
just got my HF5s today. Coming from IE8's, they are almost completely opposite in every aspect..... at least now I won't be bored listening to the same type of sound sig >.<

Feb 23, 2011 at 8:38 AM Post #228 of 567
Got a pair of HF2 on eBay today for £50 new in the box. Looking forward to trying them out. I used to have the ER-4P and currently have the MC5, so I like them for running and use on short walks to the shops etc.

Feb 23, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #229 of 567
The thread's interesting - noticed that several people use the Klipsch gel tips with these too. Can you use them without any adhesive or modification? I have a load of them in the house and liked them a lot I have to admit when I had the X10s.

Feb 23, 2011 at 9:36 AM Post #230 of 567

Quote:
I love the oval klipsch tips for the HF5! I got the double flange ones and they make them much more comfortable!

Is that the Oval Accessory tips from the Klipsch website?  I found those and am trying to decide which size I need -- I know they are not very big, but my ear canals are on the small size, and I wouldn't want them slipping around from being too small or too big.

The thing I like about the Shure Olives is that I get a perfectly balanced sound instantly (no pinching or bending of the tip), and they stay in place for hours -- don't slide out or around -- very secure and comfortable feeling.

Feb 23, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #231 of 567
Hey guys!

2.5 years after I oppened this appreciation thread...

2 more kids in the house as well (makes them 3 in total)!

I' m so glad you guyz kept this discussion alive and managed to grow as well.

I want to report my HF5s still keep up well and having made several attempts I still find the Shure olives to provide best isolation, comfort and SQ.

The HF5s are winners! no matter what other earphones come and go, these will allways offer great pleasure given good quality material.

Keep up the great work - and spread the word!!!

Mar 11, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #233 of 567

Quote:

2.5 years after I oppened this appreciation thread...

Ummm.....
blink.gif
.  You didn't miscount your kids did you?  
tongue.gif

Yes, oval gels just fit right over, no prob.  Used them on the MC5 and ER4S.

Mar 12, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #234 of 567
Klipsch's oval tips do fit perfectly on the HF5, but not in my ears: like Etymotic's own three-flange tips, they're just too small for my huge ear canals. I've got to fidget with them all the time to keep a seal.

I too got my best results with the Shure olives, but, while putting them on the HF5 wasn't difficult, removing them to clean them was so hard that I never dared putting them back on.

Mar 12, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #235 of 567

I don't recommend Klipsch ovals on etys. They don't go as deep or isolate as well as triple flanges/foam and it harms the overall sound. Olives all the way! As for removing them, it takes patience to slowly twist them off without damaging the nozzle or the foam, but it's worth the hassle. Just grip firmly from the middle and twist in one direction. For me they isolate better than the triple flanges. Etys own foam tips also work well, but the olives last longer.
Quote:
Klipsch's oval tips do fit perfectly on the HF5, but not in my ears: like Etymotic's own three-flange tips, they're just too small for my huge ear canals. I've got to fidget with them all the time to keep a seal.

I too got my best results with the Shure olives, but, while putting them on the HF5 wasn't difficult, removing them to clean them was so hard that I never dared putting them back on.

Mar 12, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #236 of 567

Quote:
I don't recommend Klipsch ovals on etys. They don't go as deep or isolate as well as triple flanges/foam

That's BS.  Maybe you don't have oval bi-flanges or have cavernous ears.  I could insert an Ety to the same depth w/ either tips.  You don't have to put the gels all the way down to the base of the stem.

Mar 12, 2011 at 7:31 AM Post #237 of 567

Quote:
Ummm.....
blink.gif
.  You didn't miscount your kids did you?  
tongue.gif

Yes, oval gels just fit right over, no prob.  Used them on the MC5 and ER4S.

No, no!!!

Kids count verified!
beyersmile.png

Mar 12, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #238 of 567
X2 oval tips go just as deep ime
That's BS.  Maybe you don't have oval bi-flanges or have cavernous ears.  I could insert an Ety to the same depth w/ either tips.  You don't have to put the gels all the way down to the base of the stem.

Mar 12, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #239 of 567

Quote:
... 2 more kids in the house as well (makes them 3 in total)!

... I still find the Shure olives to provide best isolation, comfort and SQ.

... The HF5s are winners! 

Congrats on the household additions!  And X2 on the sentiments about the HF5 + Olives! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back