The Etymotics HF5 Thread
Nov 14, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #76 of 567
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Identical to ER-4 soundtube, from what a gent from Etymotic told me. He said that when the hf2/hf5 was designed, they tried out all the previous sound tube designs and had people in the company vote on what was most comfortable. ER-4 won, so the hf2/hf5 duplicated that design.

And FWIW I have moved one pair of my ER-4 custom sleeves to an hf2, and they fit perfectly.

HF2 at top and ER4 at bottom
hf2_er4.jpg

Nov 14, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #77 of 567
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bína /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have best sound with Klipsch and shure olives(but olives have much more better isolation, so I use only olives).

I compared them with my PFE and I also found PFE better(in treble and airness mostly). If you dont need great isolation, I think PFE will be better buy.

Even at almost double the price? HF5s are £70, PFEs are 120, although 2nd revision have been 'coming soon' for a while now!

Nov 14, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #78 of 567
Nov 14, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #79 of 567
ER6 tips don't fit HF5 but I'm actually not sure about the ER6i

Nov 14, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #80 of 567
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaeO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even at almost double the price? HF5s are £70, PFEs are 120, although 2nd revision have been 'coming soon' for a while now!

Dont judge by price, for example, in our country Phonaks cost 180$ , while HF 5 cost 240$.

That is the reason, why I buy HF5 from Britain.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Nov 14, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #81 of 567
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaeO /img/forum/go_quote.gif

£120 and £70, both without shipping? £120 for the PFE is a lot, I paid €110, shipping included. My HF5 were €115, shipping included.

Nov 14, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #82 of 567
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeTrun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
£120 and £70, both without shipping? £120 for the PFE is a lot, I paid €110, shipping included. My HF5 were €115, shipping included.

Both shipped. HF5 are 70-75 nearly everywhere - 70 at amazon with free shipping

Nov 17, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #84 of 567
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Until here on Head-Fi someone recommended Klipsch Gel tips. I sent an email to klipsch asking them where I could buy a pair of their tips, they sent me a couple sets free! (I'm not even a customer of theirs).

Well, I've sent an email a week ago, they've responded today:

Quote:

You will want to contact the below distributor for further assistance.

TNS Distribution Limited

Attn: Tony Bergin
Unit 5 Keypoint Rosemount Business Park
Dublin, 11
Phone: 353-1 8091538
tbergin@tnsdistribution.com
ecorkery@tnsdistribution.com

Regards,

LaToya

So I won't be getting any free tips. Oh well, I'll get used to the small bi-flanges, I guess
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 20, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #86 of 567
my custom ACS tips for my SE530's fit the HF5's too..only listened for a few minutes but they sounded good
icon14.gif

Nov 20, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #87 of 567
Ordered mine yesterday - they arrived! Yes! After initial listening (proper seal) I find these headphones to be very interesting indeed.
They sound clear and full-bodied at the same time. A hint of sibilance here and there but nothing to be concerned of - its just the recording and me being used to the IE8 sound. They have defiantly a hind of warm sound to them which makes them more enjoyable, in my opinion than the RE0. The RE0 are extremely precise, these are too, but in a different kind of way. I enjoy them both and would not be able to decide between either, because they each have their weaknesses and strength. The main reason for buying these was the isolation they provide.

Nov 20, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #88 of 567
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebhuber /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ordered mine yesterday - they arrived! Yes! After initial listening (proper seal) I find these headphones to be very interesting indeed.
They sound clear and full-bodied at the same time. A hint of sibilance here and there but nothing to be concerned of - its just the recording and me being used to the IE8 sound. They have defiantly a hind of warm sound to them which makes them more enjoyable, in my opinion than the RE0. The RE0 are extremely precise, these are too, but in a different kind of way. I enjoy them both and would not be able to decide between either, because they each have their weaknesses and strength. The main reason for buying these was the isolation they provide.

Interesting, I just this week got RE0 after having HF5s for the last year. I don't know if warmer is the way I'd describe the HF5s in comparison. The RE0 is definitely more forward. They have similar bass quantities. So far, I'd say that the HF5s extend lower, although this could have a lot to do with the isolation that you get on the etys with the triflanges. I bought the RE0 looking for the bass of a dynamic with the clarity of my etys. I only have about 25-30 hrs on the RE0 so far, so jury's still out, although I'm starting to hear some bass texture like I was looking for.

Nov 20, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #89 of 567
The HF5 definitely have more bass quantity, affecting the sound in a very particular way. They RE0 are thin in comparison, however it is extremely difficult to adjust to their sound signature, and after you have adjusted, you get great balance. Not so much with the HF5, they are different i.e. they extend not as high. Also you have to take into account that they use a different driver i.e. BA and Dynamic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back