The Etymotics HF5 Thread
Jan 6, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #436 of 567
I have the HF5 and I love them! The upper midrange is a bit boosted and to me and that makes it a touch 'clearer' than some other in-ears. I didn't find it thin-sounding as some people say. Now my question is to those who both owned this and the ER4. Is there much difference in sound signature? I'm using the HF5 straight out of Nano but I'm wondering if the upgrade to ER4P would be worth it if I'm using it unamped. 

Jan 7, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #437 of 567
The HF5 and ER4 share the definitive Ety DNA, only the ER4 does it a lot better. If you're considering an upgrade, I would recommend going the whole hog, skip the 4P and get the ER4S. The level of detail you get from these is absolutely mind blowing. At 100 ohms impedance, it's right at the limit with my iPhone 5 as source. Some quiet or low-gain encoded songs struggle, but most do fine.

Jan 8, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #438 of 567
Thanks! But I suppose I would need an amp to make it sound even better? What amp would you suggest then if that's the case?

As for HF5, I'm not sure if I've heard the best of it yet. I only have the glider tips and currently using it. I wonder if the triple flange or foam tips would make it sound better but nonetheless I'm satisfied currently.

Jan 17, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #441 of 567
I've had my hf5 headphones for more than a year. I absolutely love them. As others have said they are very true to the music. Nothing is blown out of proportion and it sounds very clean. Definitely an acquired sound but if it's what you want then it is amazing.

Jan 18, 2014 at 5:49 AM Post #442 of 567
I've had my hf5 headphones for more than a year. I absolutely love them. As others have said they are very true to the music. Nothing is blown out of proportion and it sounds very clean. Definitely an acquired sound but if it's what you want then it is amazing.

I completely agree. They are highly accurate for their price range. Imo you can't beat them. I don't know any other Iem that is coming with that much accuracy for that price.

Jan 25, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #445 of 567
It's not a matter of getting used to it, I've had them a long time. It's just I'm tired of hurting. There had to be a better option :p

Jan 26, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #446 of 567
Eh better option for comfort yeah but probably not for sound quality imo the foam seems to muffle or veil the mids and highs.

What I recommend trying is going in at a angle instead of straight in. I don't know if you tried angling the tip up and the Back End Down The Straight in. This I find works the best for comfort and seal.

Jan 26, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #447 of 567
My issue isn't pain during insertion, but prolonged pressure causing increasing discomfort

Perhaps I have abnormally shaped canals?

Jan 26, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #448 of 567
Eh it's possible. But the triple flanges do have a tendency to cause that pressure or suction type feeling between the tip and eardrum which can and will cause most discomfort.

I too get that pressure but I play with the angle and find a good fit that is most comfortable.

Jan 28, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #449 of 567
Hey all, long time lurker and absorber of information here.
I just picked up some HF5s and thought I’d share my experience, as I was a little uncertain at first.
I sport HD650s when I’ve the time and space, but for work I need some IEMs. I had a pair of Sennheiser IEMs with an earhook and volume control (I have no idea the model – can’t find it!) for about 6 years, which had no right to sound as good as they did for the price (~$110aud). Really punchy bass and big sound, if a little washed out in the upper range.
So they evenually died. I took a year off, came back and needed a new set. After reading around I plunged into the HF5s.
At first I found the drums a little tinny and hollow (mostly on metal, prog, hard rock), while the upper and mids were glorious, great space and super clear.
They’ve opened up a lot with a night and day of burn-in. I run my 650s through a Xonar Essence soundcard (with the headphone amp) and it powers them beautifully. Though for whatever reason it didn’t give the HF5s the kick I was after.
At this point I was wondering if I should trade for something bass-heavier, and boost my budget a little…However, when I took them to work and ran them through a FiiO E10, I was blown away. They come through with the same clarity and richness, but now with massive punch in the bottom end – drums are thumpingly clear and distinguishable.
The more I crank it, the better – probably a bad thing
rolleyes.gif
. The E10 also has the bass switch if needed.
The moral here probably has more to do with my impatience than anything,  but interesting that this combo has the kick I craved without losing the HF5's natural advantages.

Cheers, Mike

Jan 28, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #450 of 567
  I have the HF5 and I love them! The upper midrange is a bit boosted and to me and that makes it a touch 'clearer' than some other in-ears. I didn't find it thin-sounding as some people say. Now my question is to those who both owned this and the ER4. Is there much difference in sound signature? I'm using the HF5 straight out of Nano but I'm wondering if the upgrade to ER4P would be worth it if I'm using it unamped. 

imo the hf5 is excellent but the er4 series is far better, like others said, they are on the same dna line, but the er4 are far better at accuracy,detail retrieval and overall just better. IMO totally worth upgrading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back