The Entry Level Stax Thread
Oct 28, 2019 at 11:16 PM Post #3,170 of 3,322
how different are the sr007 mk2 compared to sr404 limited edition in bass, mid, treble?

Not a lot of experience with the 007 Mk2, but will say they are most similar in bass... different elsewhere. 404 Limited is a warmer/smoother more laidback sounding in mids and treble, more like an HD650/6XX than the newer L series Lambdas. 404 Limited had my favorite low end, did things I've not heard in any other headphones with subbass intonations and resonances... really special sounding. Don't remember the 007 Mk2s low end doing the same thing.

Oct 29, 2019 at 2:48 AM Post #3,171 of 3,322
Not a lot of experience with the 007 Mk2, but will say they are most similar in bass... different elsewhere. 404 Limited is a warmer/smoother more laidback sounding in mids and treble, more like an HD650/6XX than the newer L series Lambdas. 404 Limited had my favorite low end, did things I've not heard in any other headphones with subbass intonations and resonances... really special sounding. Don't remember the 007 Mk2s low end doing the same thing.

Really like your description of 404LE "real" bass, and agree they're alone in that regard among Lambdas I've heard. However, I don't find them remotely similar to HD6 series Senns, which though sweet in the Mids, are very forward in presentation (row "A"). 404LE for me are relaxed and graceful (row "M"), yet are micro-detail champs.

Oct 29, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #3,173 of 3,322

why did u sell away the sr404 limited edition and whats the best stax model to you?

how did the sr007 mk2 briefly auditioned sound compared to your l300 limited edition with l700 pad and blu tack mod partially enclosed?

u seem to still keep a lot of headphones although u already own stax.

Oct 29, 2019 at 10:11 PM Post #3,174 of 3,322
why did u sell away the sr404 limited edition and whats the best stax model to you?

how did the sr007 mk2 briefly auditioned sound compared to your l300 limited edition with l700 pad and blu tack mod partially enclosed?

u seem to still keep a lot of headphones although u already own stax.

The left driver died on my 404 Limited, ended up trading it in broken state to Spritzer for a preamp he had. I loved the subbass on the 404 Limited, but it was missing a lot of what the L300 Limited had in a more expansive sound and exceptional imaging along with incredible detail in the top end. From what I heard briefly of the 007 MK2, it may be my preferred STAX... similar to the L300 Limited but with a little more 'oomph' in the low end and seemingly better resolution and smoothness.

STAX may have many certain technical abilities that go beyond most everything else, but they also can't do some things that other headphones can. STAX don't have the soulful and vocal forward energy that comes across on the lowly Koss Porta Pro with Yaxi pads, along with it's rediculous bass presence and forgiving sound you can listen to forever. If I want to hear all that a song has technically, the L300 Limited is what I will use. If I want to relax and just enjoy music, games, or movies with a nice rich, dark sound, massive bass, and still beautifully holographic presentation, my closed back modded the HD58X are the way to go. Porta Pros with Yaxi pads are my go everywhere dailies and have my preferred warm & bassy signature. I recently got in the DT-177X GO and quite like it... reminds me a bit of the modded L300 Limited STAX but closed back with great isolation and a tight, clear sound - it's bright but not with over the line treble and has a very interesting portrayal of space that really reminds me of what the Etymotic ER3XR's do.

Oct 29, 2019 at 11:30 PM Post #3,175 of 3,322
having some sub buss absence on the old vintage on Stax Srm-1 that I reacap.
I know that vintage not have to be a perfect one

found some suggestions about improvement that used on Sr-300ltd (with Sr-700 pads), plan to read this.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/stax-sr-l300-impressions-thread.813511/page-27
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/stax-sr-l300-impressions-thread.813511/page-40

Still the sub base cut o on Srm-1 with Lambda pro and Sigma normal and even with Sr-30
I sure that another amp like Srm-323 will show something better

I measure the Stax Srm-1 amp out put capacitance and resistance on left and right channels (when it was off):
- 90Kohm
- 130pF

The measurements on the headphones with stock pads
*they having some capacitance too (that higher than the modern one)

Stax Lambda pro
ja5VuT2.png

Stax Sigma normal
PqaFjkW.png

Stax Sr-30
8s1OcdS.png

*at this point not having another amp or headphones to base on.

Oct 30, 2019 at 1:47 AM Post #3,176 of 3,322
The left driver died on my 404 Limited, ended up trading it in broken state to Spritzer for a preamp he had. I loved the subbass on the 404 Limited, but it was missing a lot of what the L300 Limited had in a more expansive sound and exceptional imaging along with incredible detail in the top end. From what I heard briefly of the 007 MK2, it may be my preferred STAX... similar to the L300 Limited but with a little more 'oomph' in the low end and seemingly better resolution and smoothness.

STAX may have many certain technical abilities that go beyond most everything else, but they also can't do some things that other headphones can. STAX don't have the soulful and vocal forward energy that comes across on the lowly Koss Porta Pro with Yaxi pads, along with it's rediculous bass presence and forgiving sound you can listen to forever. If I want to hear all that a song has technically, the L300 Limited is what I will use. If I want to relax and just enjoy music, games, or movies with a nice rich, dark sound, massive bass, and still beautifully holographic presentation, my closed back modded the HD58X are the way to go. Porta Pros with Yaxi pads are my go everywhere dailies and have my preferred warm & bassy signature. I recently got in the DT-177X GO and quite like it... reminds me a bit of the modded L300 Limited STAX but closed back with great isolation and a tight, clear sound - it's bright but not with over the line treble and has a very interesting portrayal of space that really reminds me of what the Etymotic ER3XR's do.

and i thought stax already have forward vocals. i cannot imagine why anyone will go back to planar or dynamics when not on-the-go unless staxs come with some negative complications possibly that they lack in some way or are unbearable for long duration listening because what ive read is that they do bass mids and treble just as well as dynamics/planar, just that they are not as mid bass boomy but with extra clarity and detail all around isnt it? is it because they are treble fatiguing over long duration listening?

u mention the er3xr, have u heard the er2xr? if you had, how do they compare to you?

Nov 4, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #3,177 of 3,322
Detail and clarity are the names of the game with electrostats. The bass is present, but you don't get rumble from it that you would pick up with a dynamic cone using maximum excursion to produce low bass notes. The nature of the technology naturally portrays frequencies without bleed-over from other parts of the band. I've never found any of my STAX to be particularly fatiguing. There are sometimes I want a rumbling bass so I pull out my Fostex THX00's for those.

Nov 4, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #3,178 of 3,322
I've seen some cautionary tales about vintage STAX sets. I've always had good luck. I've owned 6 pair of STAX phones, all the way from the SR-002 in-ear to SR-009 and bought all of them used. Just like any other purchase you have to go with a trusted seller, and if you notice a problem as soon as you get the phones get in touch with the seller you should be alright. My favorite phones of all are my old normal bias Lambdas. They are over 30-35 years old and still sound amazing. Some of the vocals are so real you feel you're in the room with the singer. I love them so much I had a normal bias plug added to my KGSShv Carbon when it was built for me. I got one of the SRD-7's and the Lambdas for around $300-350 and it blew me away.

Nov 5, 2019 at 1:42 AM Post #3,179 of 3,322
I've seen some cautionary tales about vintage STAX sets. I've always had good luck. I've owned 6 pair of STAX phones, all the way from the SR-002 in-ear to SR-009 and bought all of them used. Just like any other purchase you have to go with a trusted seller, and if you notice a problem as soon as you get the phones get in touch with the seller you should be alright. My favorite phones of all are my old normal bias Lambdas. They are over 30-35 years old and still sound amazing. Some of the vocals are so real you feel you're in the room with the singer. I love them so much I had a normal bias plug added to my KGSShv Carbon when it was built for me. I got one of the SRD-7's and the Lambdas for around $300-350 and it blew me away.

is this the https://www.inexxon.com/stax-übersicht-history/stax-kopfhörer-headphones/sr-lambda/ original bias model you own? sr lambda is the full name, with no model numbers or pros in the model name.

the sound frequency graph looks epic. the treble after 10k Hz looks a bit crazy much in amount of dB it but the plateau tuning after 10k up till around 18k before drop is probably nice and gives cymbals their wonderful decaying shimmer im guessing? and all other frequencies look so well tuned and i wonder how it sounds overall

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2019 at 7:18 AM Post #3,180 of 3,322
Yes, that's the one. It sounds just like they describe in the brochure. Smooth articulate and amazing. Granted, this was the first pair of STAX I ever bought, but it made a believer out of me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back