The Entry Level Stax Thread
Nov 5, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #3,181 of 3,322
Yes, that's the one. It sounds just like they describe in the brochure. Smooth articulate and amazing. Granted, this was the first pair of STAX I ever bought, but it made a believer out of me!
do KOSS ESP 95X or Stax Sr-l700 is better ?

I broke my Sr-lambda Normal, on the first attempt to clean it :frowning2:
the second order was Sr-lambda Pro with Srm-1 energizer with the original boxes.

knh2VOz.jpg

cant find boxes like this, its looks really unusual^
*who is this person? Mozart ? (someone call him the Omega man =D )
saw lots of boxes like this only that looks really cool with printed headphones on it:

f17697f0-e628-11e5-9b43-78da85b2fe93.jpg

^ this is the regular look of Sr-lambda Normal/Pro

sorry for that I tried to restore the lambda Normal, its broken, same as sr-202 (that sounded lifeless) :frowning2:
Because of that I stop to order used headphones.

p.s: the one who sold me this nice heaphones send me some poster too for Stax Sr-X mk3
enjoy :)
https://i.imgur.com/KzQNqoY.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/obHcvOO.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #3,182 of 3,322
I'm sorry you ran into trouble with used STAX. I don't know what broke on the original Lambda's but as long as the driver was intact, you can replace the headband, even the cups. I think it might be worth it because no other STAX sound like that original normal bias Lambda. I like other STAX phones, but there's just a sweetness to its tone that is amazing. Spritzer also really likes the original Lambda.

Nov 5, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #3,183 of 3,322
I'm sorry you ran into trouble with used STAX. I don't know what broke on the original Lambda's but as long as the driver was intact, you can replace the headband, even the cups. I think it might be worth it because no other STAX sound like that original normal bias Lambda. I like other STAX phones, but there's just a sweetness to its tone that is amazing. Spritzer also really likes the original Lambda.
about Spritzer
I found this page on his site: https://mjolnir-audio.com/projects/
the price is high but the condition looks good,
he actually combined:
SR-Gamma Pro pro drivers with SR-X Mk3 that made them the rare version of SR-X mk3 Pro
Sr-404 drivers with Sr-Sigma Normal to make the Sr-Sigma 404
for his DIY headphones he use the SR-X Mk3 drivers with cable improvements
he also sold the sr-lambda Normal

I really can't afford my self to spend $200-$400 or more on headphones anymore.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #3,184 of 3,322
This thread is lacking in pictures. People might appreciate some photos of what the unit(s) look like as opposed to the ones provided from the manufacturer. XD

SRM-252S (front) + ODAC on top

SR-207 headband (top)

SR-207 earcups (contrary to what people might think, the fat part of the earcup wedge is the front and the skinny part of the wedge is the back; the earpads are contoured in the exact opposite way)

SR-207 in the foam box

Hi, pardon me for quoting old post. I am thingking of getting L300. What holds me is I am living in tropical country with high humidity up to 84%. Any body can share their tips on how to store and maintain the earspeakers condition? my thought is dry box.

Nov 8, 2019 at 11:45 PM Post #3,185 of 3,322
Hi, pardon me for quoting old post. I am thingking of getting L300. What holds me is I am living in tropical country with high humidity up to 84%. Any body can share their tips on how to store and maintain the earspeakers condition? my thought is dry box.
As long as the product new and the dust filters (passive membranes).
the front one and the back one is not damaged then the product will function fine!
the greatest enemy of ESH is dust.
the 80s models like Lambda Normal/Pro protected with only mesh and wool from back side.

From sr-202/sr-207 up to sr-l300 you got it covered from both sides with dust membrane (thickness of microns).
as long as you do not open the driver and not touch or damage it back open side then it will protect it.

In addition about the front side and humidity even in regular countries on the head the drivers immediately cover with humidity because the sweat.
so as long as the driver fixed there is no dangerous to its long function.

another fact: the air conditioner making high humidity and dust movement too and still the ESH still function.

About the storage of the headphones, I recommend to store it inside hard cases but easier to open than the original carboard

I using the Sennheiser HD6XX case (that I mod it little bit) for my Lambda pro =D
Special storage not required, only physical protection for headphones and the cable as any other headphones received from me.
JCtwCmT.jpg

w2KtMos.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2019 at 7:15 AM Post #3,187 of 3,322
Nice idea. I also have an HD600 box, and am now considering using it to store my L300.
I don't think that this requires for l300 but for my pros I cut the sponge little bit for the headband
kBoYtUa.jpg

For me the best massive case ever is the Beyerdynamic T1 gen1 box, but it not so compact and mobile.
and it also used.
for Stax sigma Normal
fjCZ4aU.jpg

Sennheiser HD6XX as other Beyerdynamic headphones can stored without the cable inside 5$ case
u0CZHqM.jpg

*Its really cheap choice to mix the cases. but I preferred to do so.
HD600 cost twice the HD6XX so it may be harder decision to use it case for this purpose.
HD600 is really great headphones too!

Nov 9, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #3,188 of 3,322
I came across this thread by chance, and am intrigued by the Stax, notably the SRS 3100 system. At approx £800, it costs over £2500 less than my current setup of Senheiser HD800S + HDV820, and I am curious as to what the Stax system would give me? Also, in terms of a source, I have a laptop which I currently use via USB to my HDV820, and an Astell & Kern SR15. What type of source would I be looking at for a Stax system? I realise that these are different type of headphones than the HD800S and perhaps comparisons are not possible, but being unable to hear a Stax system firsthand I would be buying blind were I to take the plunge.

Nov 9, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #3,189 of 3,322
I came across this thread by chance, and am intrigued by the Stax, notably the SRS 3100 system. At approx £800, it costs over £2500 less than my current setup of Senheiser HD800S + HDV820, and I am curious as to what the Stax system would give me? Also, in terms of a source, I have a laptop which I currently use via USB to my HDV820, and an Astell & Kern SR15. What type of source would I be looking at for a Stax system? I realise that these are different type of headphones than the HD800S and perhaps comparisons are not possible, but being unable to hear a Stax system firsthand I would be buying blind were I to take the plunge.
If you're going with the SRS-3100 entry system, there's no need to be too finicky about source. There is no dynamic headphone, regardless of price, that will give you the speed, clarity, separation, and dynamic range of the L300. You may find the L300 to have a much smaller soundstage, however. Execute the blu-tak modification to extend the subbass.

Nov 9, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #3,191 of 3,322
Takes 15 minutes to change them
The era of tubes is pass!
- too much hot
- not sound stable
- not physically stable
- may diss-balance easily
- clumsy looking and very fragile
- too noisy and having lots of distortions physical and electrical !

*although I know the pros of this amps too with warm sound and quality direct sounding.

also the price for tube amps is higher then the regular.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #3,192 of 3,322

The Stax are "truth tellers", so investing in source, files and dac, is VERY important. My 407 and 404LE are for sure more revealing of what's going on upstream than my 800S.

Nov 10, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #3,193 of 3,322

I live in a relatively humid environment as well, and use dri z air right under the desk my head-fi rig is on, and cover all my gear with cotton towels to keep dust off while allowing air flow. I definitely don't believe a typical headphone box will "keep moisture out".

Nov 10, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #3,194 of 3,322
I live in a relatively humid environment as well, and use dri z air right under the desk my head-fi rig is on, and cover all my gear with cotton towels to keep dust off while allowing air flow. I definitely don't believe a typical headphone box will "keep moisture out".
which is better sr407 or sr404 ?
* I not believe that there is a different between sr404 and sr404LE

to hard to put back the headphones inside the typical box.
the only ES headphones that comes with original quality box is sr007/sr009
what other box is recommended ?

Nov 10, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #3,195 of 3,322

nice option, please post pict on how it is set up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back