The Entry Level Stax Thread
Jan 4, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #2,476 of 3,322
  As you all are no doubt aware, the least expensive amp that will drive Stax is the STAX SRM-252S. I bought one of those in a combo with the STAX SR-L300 earspeakers. That amp though, does not come with a proper US voltage power adapter so I bought a recommended one and everything was great until a month later when I heard a pop from the amp and it died.

Now I am in the market for a new amp to drive my SR-L300's, preferable one that works off of US power by default. Any recommendations? 

On the Stax website the next more expensive amp is the STAX SRM-353X, not sure if that will work out of the box on US power, but it does appear to have a different power connector on the back.

I haven't ordered from them before, but I'd think anything ordered from StaxUSA would come with a USA power adapter by default.

https://staxusa.com/

I'd also recommend a UPS if you don't have one. I have 2 battery back-up power supplies which feed my entire PC setup, including my audio gear. They serve to keep the power smooth normally, and in the case of a sudden blackout give me 15 minutes + to finish what I was doing and shut down safely while my neighbors are in the dark :p

Jan 9, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #2,477 of 3,322
Alright, so I'm back in the game! Finally got most of an inheritance I was supposed to receive awhile ago. Could have bought nearly any headphone on the planet, but I want to keep costs down and reinvest most of the money instead of blowing it. I got an AudioQuest NightHawk out of curiosity, but I don't think its sound quality is even in the same galaxy as STAX, so I'll probably return it. (Even spent hours equalizing it, to no avail.) I will have a Chord Mojo in a few days. Now I'm trying to figure out which headphone would be best to pair it with. As many of you know, the STAX SR-207 is my favorite headphone so far. I could get more used STAX, but I'm inclined to get something that can be driven directly from the Mojo. I'm looking for something comparable to the SQ of the 207, but with more impact and energy. The closest headphone I've had to that is the Yamaha HPH-MT220, but its accuracy isn't even close. I would like to spend under $400 on the headphones for the time being. In that range, I've also had the HE400i, HD 650, HD 700, and Spirit Pro. The problem is, none of those compare at all to the 207 to my ears either. So perhaps it's impossible to match or beat its SQ in this price range? I don't see good used STAX deals nearly as often as I used to. If any of you are looking to part with your STAX, feel free to PM me with offers. I might even be willing to go over $400. But my priority is something that fits the criteria I listed, if it even exists.

Jan 9, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #2,478 of 3,322
There's an SR-007 Mk1 Early auction on yahoojapan for about $500 right now. It will probably end under 1k. That's a good used deal.

Non-electrostatic-wise, I'd look into the Ortho end of things. My old T30 after modding sounds a lot like a slightly bassier 207, a similar feel. So did my Sansui SS-100. I'd imagine that most of the OG Fostex T-50 family of drivers falls under that. I haven't heard much of modern stuff though.

Jan 9, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #2,479 of 3,322
  Alright, so I'm back in the game! Finally got most of an inheritance I was supposed to receive awhile ago. Could have bought nearly any headphone on the planet, but I want to keep costs down and reinvest most of the money instead of blowing it. I got an AudioQuest NightHawk out of curiosity, but I don't think its sound quality is even in the same galaxy as STAX, so I'll probably return it. (Even spent hours equalizing it, to no avail.) I will have a Chord Mojo in a few days. Now I'm trying to figure out which headphone would be best to pair it with. As many of you know, the STAX SR-207 is my favorite headphone so far. I could get more used STAX, but I'm inclined to get something that can be driven directly from the Mojo. I'm looking for something comparable to the SQ of the 207, but with more impact and energy. The closest headphone I've had to that is the Yamaha HPH-MT220, but its accuracy isn't even close. I would like to spend under $400 on the headphones for the time being. In that range, I've also had the HE400i, HD 650, HD 700, and Spirit Pro. The problem is, none of those compare at all to the 207 to my ears either. So perhaps it's impossible to match or beat its SQ in this price range? I don't see good used STAX deals nearly as often as I used to. If any of you are looking to part with your STAX, feel free to PM me with offers. I might even be willing to go over $400. But my priority is something that fits the criteria I listed, if it even exists.

Did you ever try the 202? It is quite similar to the 207, so if you like that a lot, you may like the 202 as well. On the other hand, it will never be a big upgrade, even if you like it better. Still, it's something to try if you haven't already. It's been a while since I have heard either, but from memory, the 202 has slightly more energy. The 207 is very balanced, which is its strong point, but it can be a tad dull sometimes because of that. YMMV of course.

Jan 9, 2017 at 6:55 PM Post #2,480 of 3,322
  Did you ever try the 202? It is quite similar to the 207, so if you like that a lot, you may like the 202 as well. On the other hand, it will never be a big upgrade, even if you like it better. Still, it's something to try if you haven't already. It's been a while since I have heard either, but from memory, the 202 has slightly more energy. The 207 is very balanced, which is its strong point, but it can be a tad dull sometimes because of that. YMMV of course.

I ended up buying an HD 800. ahaha. Really curious to see how far it can get beyond stock with EQ. (And perhaps modifications later.) I already like it most of the time. (Based on an audition.) Just gotta tone down the brightness a bit.

Jan 9, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #2,482 of 3,322
  Funny. I auditioned it twice, but liked the 202 better. (The 007 owns both though.)

I easily liked the 207 more than the HD 800, but that's just in stock form. In this thread, a modified/equalized HD 800 outperformed many much more expensive headphones. And just for reference, this thread has impressions from those who prefer the HD 800 over the SR-009.

Jan 9, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #2,483 of 3,322
As you all are no doubt aware, the least expensive amp that will drive Stax is the STAX SRM-252S. I bought one of those in a combo with the STAX SR-L300 earspeakers. That amp though, does not come with a proper US voltage power adapter so I bought a recommended one and everything was great until a month later when I heard a pop from the amp and it died.

Now I am in the market for a new amp to drive my SR-L300's, preferable one that works off of US power by default. Any recommendations? 

On the Stax website the next more expensive amp is the STAX SRM-353X, not sure if that will work out of the box on US power, but it does appear to have a different power connector on the back.

You can use regular power brick that's rated for 12 V/4 W(minimum) as long as the polarity of the DC barrel is correct (negative pin, positive outside). I use an iFi iPower with the SRM-252S at the moment and it comes with a polarity inverter adaptor plug.

There's an SR-007 Mk1 Early auction on yahoojapan for about $500 right now. It will probably end under 1k. That's a good used deal.

I still want to get a SR-007 MKI some day.

I easily liked the 207 more than the HD 800, but that's just in stock form. In this thread, a modified/equalized HD 800 outperformed many much more expensive headphones. And just for reference, this thread has impressions from those who prefer the HD 800 over the SR-009.

I'd tone down the bass EQ from the suggest one. It's beyond what I'd consider accurate in that instance as it's too boomy for me. But yes, with the EQ, it's actually quite good. I don't quite understand the polarity inversion mods they do though.

Jan 10, 2017 at 6:59 AM Post #2,484 of 3,322
I used to have a modded HD 800 and it does smooth out the response a good deal. I used the Super Dupont mod. It made it very detailed, and I liked the sound, but nowhere near how I like the STAX sound.

Jan 10, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #2,485 of 3,322
I'd tone down the bass EQ from the suggest one. It's beyond what I'd consider accurate in that instance as it's too boomy for me. But yes, with the EQ, it's actually quite good. I don't quite understand the polarity inversion mods they do though.

Here are his newer EQ settings. (No need for Sonarworks. But it's also worth mentioning that Sonarworks have an optional "no limits" curve that is different than their standard one.)

This video review is pretty interesting, for those who haven't seen it. (Especially the parts about HD 800 vs L700.)

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #2,486 of 3,322

I ended up buying an HD 800. ahaha. Really curious to see how far it can get beyond stock with EQ. (And perhaps modifications later.) I already like it most of the time. (Based on an audition.) Just gotta tone down the brightness a bit.

Once carefully EQ'd and/or modded the HD800 is a heck of a resolving headphone. I had one and will eventually pick up one again (so many headphones... so little time...).

Jan 27, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #2,487 of 3,322
I posted this in the Summit Fi section but I'm interested in opinions on my Stax situation in this forum as well as the most expensive option may not always end up being the best...

I have a number of STAX Headphones, amps. transformer box etc, that I need to sale/trade maximize to the best sound possible. I picked up an old Lambda NB and SRD-7-SB and couldn't believe how much better it sounded than my dynamic phones and even clearer than my couple of pair of magna planars. So, I went on a bit of a STAX buying spree and I'm trying to decide how to navigate to a STAX endgame.

Here's what I have:

Amps Transformer Box etc.
SRD-7-SB modded to include a pro output
SRM-1 Mk2 Professional with one normal bias and one pro bias slot
KGSS DX Edition originally built by Headamp.

EarSpeakers/Phones:
Lambda NB
Lambda Signature Pro bias
Lambda SR 404 Signature Edition (not the Limited Edition, danggit)
Lambda SR L-700
SR-007 Mk2

I guess my question is where I go from here. I was evaluating everything and I now have a bunch of options that are hard to compare. For example, I was certain that I preferred the L-700 to the 007 mk2 when listening on the SRM-1 Mmk2 Pro, only to have the 007's come to life when hooked up to the KGSS DX. The 007s were too muddy sounding with the SRM-1 but the SRM-1's warmer sound nicely works with the Lambda's natural bright sound. I am using an Emotiva A100 hooked up to the SRD-7 and it brightens up the 007s also, but they sound more detailed and controlled on the KGSS.

Originally, I thought about exchanging up to the 009's, but I know there is a minority of opinion that seems to think the 009 is too bright. I may still want to go that way. If I do, will the KGSS DX be enough for the 009 or will it necessitate another amp upgrade to a KGSSHV, or Carbon or BHSE? 

What would you suggest as a good next step?

Thanks!

Jan 28, 2017 at 3:30 AM Post #2,488 of 3,322
I've only been reading about Stax models so far, never had the opportunity to try one out for myself, but I'd love to. 

Never tried an electrostatic headphone, so I gotta ask: 

Are there any electrostatic PORTABLE headphone amps out there, that could power a Stax while on-the-go? Main reason I'm using headphones is for the portable outdoors experience ( I know, sounds weird, but I've never been embarrassed to be seen with huge headphones in public ), so that is pretty essential for me.

Jan 28, 2017 at 3:52 AM Post #2,489 of 3,322
There's the Stax In-ears that have a portable setup, but that amp isn't designed for the big boys. Older portable amps like the SRDX-Pro exist for the big stuff but is massive. The most reasonable way nowadays to do portable full size stax would be to use an SRM-252S amp and make a portable 12VDC power supply for it.

Most full size stax are the most open headphones in existence though. You can literally look through the driver and out the other side. That means they leak like mad and you hear the environment too. Not the best idea for portable in my opinion. They excel in a quiet home setup with lots of power. Of course I'm building a 180 pound 1kV cube of an amp to power mine so YMMV.

Jan 28, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #2,490 of 3,322
I see - yeah, that's what I figured, but I had to ask. Thank you - I'm used to open headphones, and since I am also accustomed to relatively high listening levels, I don't usually let the outside noises bother me too much - I just block them out mentally, I guess. So that shouldn't be too much of a problem, but the hardware limitations are there, so I'm guessing for the time being the hi-end Stax-es are reserved for home listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back