The Entry Level Stax Thread
Dec 10, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #2,461 of 3,322
Do any other glasses wearers take off their glasses when they use their STAX?

When wearing headphones, I usually move the frames of my glasses out from and over the pads so I can still do stuff on the computer. However, with the Lambdas this is pretty much impossible due to their design. I have to either keep the frames of my glasses inside the pads (which reduces the comfort and sound quality) or take the glasses off entirely. This makes it especially troublesome to watch videos.

With my Koss KTXPRO1, on the other hand, I can wear my glasses without them even touching the pads, due to its unique design. I just hope once I upgrade to even better STAX, I can find something that lets me comfortably watch videos with them too.

Though I like bulkier plastic frames for everyday use, I have a couple pairs of thin, somewhat flexible wire type frames for HeadFi use. I made sure to get frames that tuck in close after wrapping over the ear. They do not seem to interfere sonically. I put them on BEFORE my Lambdas because I don't want to shove them along (or into) the pads. I did not go for the $500 titanium frames (too expensive when misplaced). :D

Dec 10, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #2,462 of 3,322
Though I like bulkier plastic frames for everyday use, I have a couple pairs of thin, somewhat flexible wire type frames for HeadFi use. I made sure to get frames that tuck in close after wrapping over the ear. They do not seem to interfere sonically. I put them on BEFORE my Lambdas because I don't want to shove them along (or into) the pads. I did not go for the $500 titanium frames (too expensive when misplaced).
biggrin.gif

My frames are pretty thin but not thin enough. Next time I get new glasses, I should go for the thinnest frames I can find.

Dec 10, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #2,463 of 3,322
  Do any other glasses wearers take off their glasses when they use their STAX?

When wearing headphones, I usually move the frames of my glasses out from and over the pads so I can still do stuff on the computer. However, with the Lambdas this is pretty much impossible due to their design. I have to either keep the frames of my glasses inside the pads (which reduces the comfort and sound quality) or take the glasses off entirely. This makes it especially troublesome to watch videos.

With my Koss KTXPRO1, on the other hand, I can wear my glasses without them even touching the pads, due to its unique design. I just hope once I upgrade to even better STAX, I can find something that lets me comfortably watch videos with them too.

Though I like bulkier plastic frames for everyday use, I have a couple pairs of thin, somewhat flexible wire type frames for HeadFi use. I made sure to get frames that tuck in close after wrapping over the ear. They do not seem to interfere sonically. I put them on BEFORE my Lambdas because I don't want to shove them along (or into) the pads. I did not go for the $500 titanium frames (too expensive when misplaced).
biggrin.gif

I too have thinner, metal frames on my glasses and use them without trouble with my 2170 system.

I should have bifocals.....I need to continually take my glasses on or off based on what I'm doing. AND the tips are broken off both earpieces! (this pair of glasses is @ 12 years old, and I desperately need another pair) After almost daily use of my Stax for the last 6 months, still no marks on the pads..though I do think the pads are becoming stiffer over time, and should look into upgrading to the 507 Leather pads.

Dec 10, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #2,465 of 3,322
I have multifocals with a thin Ti frame and they don't interfere at all with headphones.
Multifocal so seldom take them off (unless bed, shower or swapping for sunglasses).
Seldom take off so unlikely to lose them.

I don't find on-ear HPs at all comfortable.

Dec 10, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #2,466 of 3,322
I don't find on-ear HPs at all comfortable.

Most on-ears were uncomfortable for me as well, but the KTXPRO1 is so comfortable for me I barely notice I'm wearing it sometimes. It's mainly because it's smaller than most on-ears. The SR-30 would cover the frames of my glasses and was unbearably uncomfortable with them, and still uncomfortable without, whereas with the KTX, I can take the glasses off and on without them even touching the pads, which are below.

Dec 19, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #2,467 of 3,322
Just curious about amp choices with STAX. I have an SRD-7 SB that I just had modded to include a Pro outlet. Before I sent it out I was using a Lepai 2020a T amp to drive it. 

While it was away I got used to listening to STAX on an SRM 1 MK 2. Now that the SRD 7 has come back, the sound from Lepai sounds very midrangey with extra brightness. Would I do well to exchange the Lepai for something like the Emotiva A100? I think that might give me a better signal?

Dec 19, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #2,468 of 3,322
  Just curious about amp choices with STAX. I have an SRD-7 SB that I just had modded to include a Pro outlet. Before I sent it out I was using a Lepai 2020a T amp to drive it. 

While it was away I got used to listening to STAX on an SRM 1 MK 2. Now that the SRD 7 has come back, the sound from Lepai sounds very midrangey with extra brightness. Would I do well to exchange the Lepai for something like the Emotis iva A100? I think that might give me a better signal?

the srm1mk2 is a much better amp then the srd unit..  unless the mk2 isnt yours, sell the srd unit.

with the srd unit, quality of amp is much more important then power.  mine always did best from my fisher tube amp, or my sansui 7.  But I am currently using the srm1mk2.

Dec 19, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #2,469 of 3,322

the srm1mk2 is a much better amp then the srd unit..  unless the mk2 isnt yours, sell the srd unit.

with the srd unit, quality of amp is much more important then power.  mine always did best from my fisher tube amp, or my sansui 7.  But I am currently using the srm1mk2.

I know this was the entry thread, but I just got hold of a pair of STAX 007's. The 007's aren't as bright as other STAX I've heard, and the SRM1MK2 adds to that warmth. I was hoping maybe using my SRD 7 and going with a good speaker amp like the Emotiva A-100 that is often used to drive planars and other inefficient phones might give me a better sound.

I'm still learning my way around STAX. My other STAX are a pair of vintage STAX Lamba's NB and STAX SR 404's. It might just be me, but the warmth I hear through the SRM seems to take away from the "you are there in the room with them while they sing/jam" that I loved when I first started listening to STAX.

Dec 19, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #2,470 of 3,322
Hmm. I don't find that. Has the mk2 even recapped? Could. E
Old worn out caps giving it the dull sound. Just a guess. These caps are really easy to change. It would be worth a try.

Dec 20, 2016 at 7:05 AM Post #2,473 of 3,322
  Is there a mod you can do to use a STAX amplifier with other headphones?

STAX are powered in a different way than dynamic headphones, so unfortunately you are looking at completely different circuitry. 

Jan 3, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #2,475 of 3,322
As you all are no doubt aware, the least expensive amp that will drive Stax is the STAX SRM-252S. I bought one of those in a combo with the STAX SR-L300 earspeakers. That amp though, does not come with a proper US voltage power adapter so I bought a recommended one and everything was great until a month later when I heard a pop from the amp and it died.

Now I am in the market for a new amp to drive my SR-L300's, preferable one that works off of US power by default. Any recommendations? 

On the Stax website the next more expensive amp is the STAX SRM-353X, not sure if that will work out of the box on US power, but it does appear to have a different power connector on the back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back