The Entry Level Stax Thread
Jan 30, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #2,491 of 3,322
STAX...it's in your anime.
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 10, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #2,493 of 3,322
Finally found a headphone that edges out the SR-207 for me personally.

The Focal Elear! (photo)

At least a few of you were waiting for my impressions of the Focal Elear with the Mojo.

I am taking endless notes that may evolve into a full review, but this is the gist of it:

1. It is my new favorite headphone.
  2. Tonal balance is tuned like the HD 650. (Click here and here.)
  3. Technical performance is akin to the HD 800. It seems to have even better resolution and imaging. Picks up all the details the HD 800 does, but sounds far more natural and musical. Soundstage is a bit narrower, but more three-dimensional.
  4. Not as neutral or transparent as the STAX SR-207.
  5. EQ makes it pretty neutral. Just tone down the bass, bring up 3-8 kHz, and cut the peak around 9 kHz.
  6. With softer recordings, it's the most gorgeous thing I have ever heard. ❤️
  7. Has good microdynamic snap...
  8. ...but lacks macrodynamic power. When I want strong impact and dynamics for more energetic music (like metal and electronic), I easily prefer the Yamaha HPH-MT220.
  9. Comfortable for its size and weight, but the lightweight Koss Porta Pro is many times more comfortable.
  10. Build quality and aesthetics are superb. (But don't run over it with a tank. This isn't a Chord DAC.
    tongue_smile.gif
    )
  11. The cable is ridiculously long, but probably the sturdiest, nicest stock cable I've seen.

Feb 11, 2017 at 3:12 AM Post #2,495 of 3,322
Hey guys and gals! Only been a member for a bit more than a week now, but I've heard great things in regards to Stax headphones in the past. I myself have a pair of Sennheiser HD800 ( used to have HD650 and HD580, also HD598 but I'd really love to try out electrostatic headphones at some point ).

Is anyone able to recommend an entry level option that I could try out? There's a Stax dealer in my city, and they have quite a few models available for a demo at the store, along with the respective amps.

Feb 11, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #2,496 of 3,322
  Hey guys and gals! Only been a member for a bit more than a week now, but I've heard great things in regards to Stax headphones in the past. I myself have a pair of Sennheiser HD800 ( used to have HD650 and HD580, also HD598 but I'd really love to try out electrostatic headphones at some point ).

Is anyone able to recommend an entry level option that I could try out? There's a Stax dealer in my city, and they have quite a few models available for a demo at the store, along with the respective amps.

The entry level Stax system has always been very good, with very high performance for the money. I'd suggest to go listen to that, and also try to plug in the entry level Stax headphone into one of the Stax tube amps if they have one. While I haven't heard the newest SRS-3100 system, I have plenty of experience with the previous SR-202 and SR-207 entry-level Stax headphones, and these are very good, and pair especially well with the Stax tube amps. You do not necessarily need to step up to more expensive headphones when you step up to a bigger amp, even though the dealer is, for obvious monetary reasons, probably going to tell you that you should. Just listen for yourself. Personally I have always preferred the 202 and 207 to the HD800, but that's personal of course.

The only problem with Stax is that if you don't like the sound signature of the Lambda models (i.e. all the rectangular ones, new and old), the only alternative is to either go for the big-buck high-end models or check out the Koss ESP-950. The difference in general nature between the various Lambda models is too small to really make a difference if you don't like one of them, so it's better to not waste your time and money in that case.

Feb 11, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #2,497 of 3,322

Out of those, I've owned the HD 800 and HD 650.

The STAX SR-207 is more transparent and neutral than either of them. The HD 800 has more apparent microdetail and perhaps better imaging, but I wasn't able to get it to sound natural no matter how I equalized it. It always sounds way too tight, dry, and mechanical to me. (Compared to real instruments.) The 207, on the other hand, sounds very natural without any EQ at all.

The 207 is discontinued, though, so I'm not sure if they'd still stock it. It was replaced by the SR-L300.

If you want the best deals, go for the used market instead of retail.

Feb 14, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #2,500 of 3,322
I wanna get the srs-3100 system from a seller off of ebay, but I've never bought something directly from overseas before. It would be imported from japan of course. Does anyone have experience buying a stax system off of ebay and can tell me how much I might be paying for import tax/duties/etc.? Please.

Feb 14, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #2,503 of 3,322
  I wanna get the srs-3100 system from a seller off of ebay, but I've never bought something directly from overseas before. It would be imported from japan of course. Does anyone have experience buying a stax system off of ebay and can tell me how much I might be paying for import tax/duties/etc.? Please.

About the cheapest I've seen on eBay for the SRS-3100 is US$710. By the time you buy a stepdown transformer, you'll probably be at $740-750.

Given that you can buy the system from staxusa.com for $790 shipped including the correct power supply, I would buy direct and avoid the potential overseas hassles. I'm not sure it's worth trying to save $40-50.

Feb 15, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #2,505 of 3,322

I purchased my 2170 system from overseas, though from an Amazon seller. It took the seller roughly a week to drop it in the mail, but once they finally did, delivery was VERY quick! I received it in only 3 days :) I highly recommend making sure the method of shipment is "EMS"....this type of mail turns into Express Mail once it gets to your local Distribution Center (I'm a Postal Worker LOL).
I've never been hit with import duties in the US. The thing you need to consider is a stepdown transformer though, since the modern japanese units are all 100V and very difficult to alter.

Absolutely correct. Either a step-down transformer or a replacement wall-wart is required. Units which don't use a wall-wart to begin with, the Transformer is your only option.
  Thanks for the reply! I know about the unit being 100v, I also read from some posts that using a 12v power brick would be sufficient (correct me if this is untrue).

In the case of the 252S included in my system, I purchased a replacement wall-wart. When doing so, be EXTREMELY CERTAIN the Polarity is reversed!! Most US wall warts have a Center Positive plug, but Stax requires Center Negative.

I can't stress that enough, if you get that wrong you will instantly blow up your amp and void the warranty.

I purchased this one, and am very happy with it. It's MUCH beefier than the stock wall-wart that came with my Stax...

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_203036_-1

About the cheapest I've seen on eBay for the SRS-3100 is US$710. By the time you buy a stepdown transformer, you'll probably be at $740-750.

Given that you can buy the system from staxusa.com for $790 shipped including the correct power supply, I would buy direct and avoid the potential overseas hassles. I'm not sure it's worth trying to save $40-50.

Yup, with minimal cost savings, I'd buy direct in US rather than from overseas. Buying from Staxusa, you'll have an actual factory warranty. Purchasing from overseas, you expressly do NOT get a warranty and take all the risk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back