The Entry Level Stax Thread
Dec 11, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #1,831 of 3,322
One more question. You wouldn't happen to know a good place to buy in the US with a good return policy do you? They're listed on amazon for about $500 but all are third party sellers, many of which ship straight from Japan.

Dec 11, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #1,832 of 3,322
  I can get a Stax 2170 setup for $500 off amazon theses days.  How would this headphone compare to my current setup with my HD650 and 400i?

I have owned all of these. I would rank them: SR-207 >> HE400i > HD 650

(Others have already compared the sound here, and I have too in various threads, if you feel like doing some creative searching.)

By the way, you can get the SRS-2170 system for $460 or so (including shipping to the US) here, but due to their lower prices, they do not offer refunds, and you have to send the equipment to them (who then send it to STAX) for warranty service. Also bear in mind that when you import STAX amps from Japan, you will need something (like a voltage transformer) to safely use the amp in your country. (This is not an issue when you buy from an authorized dealer in your own country.)

Thank you, it helps a lot actually.  My main concern with getting a VERY neutral headphone is how it will sound with the type of music I listen too.  Mainly symphonic metal, ambient, symphonies and a few others in my profile.  Could you shed any light on how these would perform for these genres?  I'm glad to see these are not a "bright" headphone.  My ears tend to be pretty sensitive to harshness and sibilance.  For instance, on my 400i (which is considered slightly warmer than neutral) I have to EQ down the 8khz spike to avoid fatigue.

EDIT: One other question: These pretty comfortable and built to last?

Are you scared of hearing the truth? (Or rather, something closer to the truth than most other headphones out there.) If not, you should be fine. I listen to nearly all types of music (including lots of metal) and the SR-207 is easily my favorite headphone out of all the ones I have heard so far. (See profile for stuff I have owned. Also know that I have heard many of the ultra-high-end non-electrostats, but not higher-end electrostats yet.)

I would say the comfort level is above average, but not among the best. It's durable enough, but please do treat it with respect.

Absolutely I will. It will be after the new year before I make any decisions. It's gonna probably come down to either this or an lcd-2 or el-8.

Audeze is a very different sound signature that is even less neutral than many other non-electrostats.

Are you still considering the MT220? It has more energy and impactful bass than the SR-207. I recommend both of these headphones all the time because I love them to death and feel they complement each other well.

One more question. You wouldn't happen to know a good place to buy in the US with a good return policy do you? They're listed on amazon for about $500 but all are third party sellers, many of which ship straight from Japan.

https://www.staxusa.com/system/stax-srs-2170.html
http://www.elusivedisc.com/STAX-SR-207-HEADPHONE-SRM-252S-AMP-COMBO-120v-US-VERSION/productinfo/STXSRS2170/

You'll pay a premium for the convenience, though.

Dec 12, 2015 at 3:52 AM Post #1,833 of 3,322
How does the bass and bass extension compare?

I'll add my two-cents too. The bass isn't really comparable really. The STAX is much more tight, quick/fast, punchy, and more full-bodied in comparison to the HD650. The SRS-2170 can hit low notes pretty easily, but it does roll off a bit. The HD650 rolls off even more from my experience.

Dec 12, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #1,834 of 3,322
@Music Alchemist

No I am not considering the Yamaha anymore.  I don't have a need for a closed headphone anymore.

Does this headphone have any upper mid range or treble peaks that can be harsh or fatiguing to some people? 

Dec 12, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #1,835 of 3,322
Does this headphone have any upper mid range or treble peaks that can be harsh or fatiguing to some people? 

You mean the SR-207? It's the most neutral headphone I've heard.

Every time I share these graphs (courtesy of @Tyll Hertsens & @miceblue) I have to explain that they are mislabeled. Anyway, just look how closely the grey measurements follow the green line.

Some people do find the SR-207 fatiguing, but my perspective is that's just because they don't want accuracy.

Dec 12, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #1,836 of 3,322
Lots of people who are considering getting into stax, or any electrostat, are asking about bass.  And rightly so.  I love my stax lambdas, and I will never part with them completely, but they do roll off on the bottom.  especially compared to the higher end orthodynamic cans, and even the HD800.  Do they have bass, Yes.  is it clean and textured, yes.  but it does not dig as deep or feel as full in comparison to some other cans.  If you want that kind of bass, you have to move up to the top tier stax.

For me, my lambdas just do everything that I want them to do better then a dynamic or ortho.  Yes, there are other headphones with better upper and lower extension, but the music is in the midrange, and there is enough air for me to be satisfied, and enough low end for most of my music.

Having said all that, I am considering another headphone to fill the need for that deep bass.

I have not heard the L700.  it may be a game changer regarding bass.  I dont know.  Just thought I'd throw in a couple cents, as I've been told by a few of my dynamic headphone friends who did not like the Lambdas for the reasons I pointed out.

Dec 12, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #1,837 of 3,322
  Lots of people who are considering getting into stax, or any electrostat, are asking about bass.  And rightly so.  I love my stax lambdas, and I will never part with them completely, but they do roll off on the bottom.  especially compared to the higher end orthodynamic cans, and even the HD800.  Do they have bass, Yes.  is it clean and textured, yes.  but it does not dig as deep or feel as full in comparison to some other cans.  If you want that kind of bass, you have to move up to the top tier stax.

For me, my lambdas just do everything that I want them to do better then a dynamic or ortho.  Yes, there are other headphones with better upper and lower extension, but the music is in the midrange, and there is enough air for me to be satisfied, and enough low end for most of my music.

Having said all that, I am considering another headphone to fill the need for that deep bass.

I have not heard the L700.  it may be a game changer regarding bass.  I dont know.  Just thought I'd throw in a couple cents, as I've been told by a few of my dynamic headphone friends who did not like the Lambdas for the reasons I pointed out.

As you can see in the measurements I posted above, the modern Lambdas (or at least the SR-207) do not roll off until around 20 Hz, which obviously doesn't matter. There is also actually a bass hump that is apparently resolved with the SR-507 pads. (click) But I'm looking at the measurements for the original Lambda, and I don't see roll-off! It looks mostly the same as the SR-207. (click) Either way, you can easily boost the bass with EQ, as long as your amp is powerful enough to handle it without distortion. I think part of the reason the bass of electrostats is sometimes criticized has to do with it being so much cleaner and higher quality, which can give the impression of less bass, when it's not so bloated.

Dec 12, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #1,838 of 3,322
I found the original Lambdas to sound pretty bright and sparkly in the treble region. The bass also didn't go as deep compared to the SR-207 and SR-202.

The SR-207 does have a 9-10 kHz spike in its frequency response, so some may find that to sound artificial. Most people would say the treble is smooth overall though. In terms of brightness, I wouldn't call it bright so much as shouty since there is some resonance/ringing at around 1.5 khz, and is elevated in its frequency response there.

SR-207 (stock)

SR-207 with the EP-507 leather earpads installed

Most people who have heard my SR-207 though don't find it bright at all.

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #1,840 of 3,322

The 507 is already a game changer regarding bass. It has a more linear and punchy bass than my 007, very controlled, deep, without roll-off, and just the right quantity. Best bass I've ever heard (which is personal of course). Unfortunately, the 507 is also pretty bright which requires adjustment from the ears and eventually made me sell the 507.

I think what some people experience as 'full deep bass' in dynamics, others, like me, feel as bloated but most of all as distorted and blurry bass.

Dec 15, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #1,842 of 3,322
Realistic timbre, texture, touch, air, recorded space (real or perceived), attack, damping, dynamic yet relaxed presentation?

Nope, just bass/treble talk.

Dec 15, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #1,843 of 3,322
  Hmm, I dunno, I think the SR-507 midbass is quite a bit accentuated.  I much prefer the SR-007's bass.

​It's likely that me driving it with a 717 has something to do with this. However, if you look at Tyll's graphs of both, you see that the 007 has a small deficiency below 50Hz (a linear deficiency though), while the 507 has a bump around 30~40Hz, and is still at 0dB at 20Hz. Thus, it is not surprising that I like the 507 better in the lowest octaves. Both are very linear in the midbass in my opinion, and the graphs seem to support this. Either way, they both do great if you ask me. We're nitpicking here.

Realistic timbre, texture, touch, air, recorded space (real or perceived), attack, damping, dynamic yet relaxed presentation?

Nope, just bass/treble talk.

Feel free to add what you think is missing from the conversation. I always like to read well-founded opinions. Most things you mention all Stax phones I've heard do great (except timbre in some Lambda's), so I did not feel the need to discuss them right now.

Dec 16, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #1,844 of 3,322

​It's likely that me driving it with a 717 has something to do with this. However, if you look at Tyll's graphs of both, you see that the 007 has a small deficiency below 50Hz (a linear deficiency though), while the 507 has a bump around 30~40Hz, and is still at 0dB at 20Hz. Thus, it is not surprising that I like the 507 better in the lowest octaves. Both are very linear in the midbass in my opinion, and the graphs seem to support this. Either way, they both do great if you ask me. We're nitpicking here.

Feel free to add what you think is missing from the conversation. I always like to read well-founded opinions. Most things you mention all Stax phones I've heard do great (except timbre in some Lambda's), so I did not feel the need to discuss them right now.

hmmm that's very interesting, what does a 507 system run these days 

Dec 16, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #1,845 of 3,322
I'm using my SR-507 with a SRM-T1 and I'm really happy with the bass as well. Punchy and extended . Maybe a very slight boominess but nothing bothersome IMO. I put it for SALE because I spent too much money those last weeks but I'll probably keep it for now. its bass slam is appealing and very enjoyable for some of the music I listen to .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back