The Entry Level Stax Thread
Dec 16, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #1,846 of 3,322
  I'm using my SR-507 with a SRM-T1 and I'm really happy with the bass as well. Punchy and extended . Maybe a very slight boominess but nothing bothersome IMO. I put it for SALE because I spent too much money those last weeks but I'll probably keep it for now. its bass slam is appealing and very enjoyable for some of the music I listen to .

ugh you guys aren't helping my wallet any 

I am really curious now how an electro stat sounds 

Dec 16, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #1,847 of 3,322
  ugh you guys aren't helping my wallet any 

I am really curious now how an electro stat sounds 

Different stats , different sounds though.  For example, If you like it a bit warm , the Koss ESP 950 is an option to consider althouugh I didn't like it that much but I'm more into clarity and transients edge myself. 

Dec 18, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #1,849 of 3,322
I'm just waiting for my 2170 system to arrive from Japan, after a lot of help on here I've ordered a power supply that I think should be suitable for use in the UK. Can anyone confirm that what I've ordered is correct?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B004YBLD1G/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1450471853&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=amos+reverse+polarity

Dec 18, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #1,850 of 3,322

Yes, that looks good.
I know you know, but really make sure the polarity is as printed on the back of the 2170: plus on the outside, minus in the center of the plug.
Otherwise, you will need a fuse and a soldering iron...

Peter

Dec 18, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #1,851 of 3,322
Perfect thanks Peter, if for any reason I'm unsure when it all arrives I'll post again to make sure I've definitely got everything right.

Dec 18, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #1,852 of 3,322
Does anyone here have an explanation for this?

I got an iFi iPower AC wall wart. It outputs 12 V 1.1 A, which should be fine for the SRM-252S (4 W, 12 V). The iPower itself works just fine since it can power my external USB hard drive.

It also came with a polarity inverter, and that adaptor works perfectly fine with my LH Labs Linear Power Supply.

However, when I use both the iPower and polarity inverter to power the SRM-252S, the green power LED lights up for a second before fading to nothing and nothing plays through it.

I am thoroughly confused right now...

Dec 22, 2015 at 6:57 AM Post #1,853 of 3,322
Mine are finally in the country! Now got to go pay my bloody customs fees and collect them as Parcelforce don't seem to be able to actually deliver a parcel, the irony! Still really looking forward to my first foray into Stax, been on my Head Fi bucket list for five years.

Dec 23, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #1,854 of 3,322
Well I collected my 2170 system today, set it all up and have spent the last two hours listening, I'm actually really happy with them which has only happened twice before in my head Fi history. The Stax sound is something I've always wanted to hear and it really hasn't dissapointed. As expected not at all an all rounder but when you feed them the right thing they really sing.i really can't believe these are overlooked so much, it seems almost criminal.

Dec 24, 2015 at 4:55 AM Post #1,856 of 3,322
In what ways do you feel it is not a good all-rounder?

In my opinion, it's the best-sounding headphone I have heard so far, with all genres of music.

The problem is i listen to a lot of what I'd call non Head Fi music, I have a large Hip Hop collection from my younger days I still enjoy on occasion and that is simply a no go imo, same with most EDM but that was to be expected. For music like Motown, acoustic, live performances etc they are truly impressive.

Problem is I can see why the Entry level Stax thread is more scarce than the higher end Stax as if this is the entry level performance I can only imagine what the O2 and 009 are like!

Dec 24, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #1,857 of 3,322
The problem is i listen to a lot of what I'd call non Head Fi music, I have a large Hip Hop collection from my younger days I still enjoy on occasion and that is simply a no go imo, same with most EDM but that was to be expected. For music like Motown, acoustic, live performances etc they are truly impressive.

Problem is I can see why the Entry level Stax thread is more scarce than the higher end Stax as if this is the entry level performance I can only imagine what the O2 and 009 are like!

No, I mean, what do you specifically dislike about its sound? As I said, I loved it with all music, including rap and EDM.

Dec 24, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #1,858 of 3,322
Hi. I'm considering ordering a STAX SR-2170 system from Japan because Amazon Canada has them for $636 with free shipping. Since this amp uses a wall-wart power adapter, it should be no problem to replace it with a 12V 4W DC supply designed for 110V/120V.

I was just wondering if any of you guys knew where I could get a high quality 12V DC supply, maybe one designed for audio usage? I'm concerned that if I buy a generic 12V DC supply made for cheap appliances that it might not produce as high quality sound as it could with a properly built supply.

Dec 24, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #1,859 of 3,322
  Hi. I'm considering ordering a STAX SR-2170 system from Japan because Amazon Canada has them for $636 with free shipping. Since this amp uses a wall-wart power adapter, it should be no problem to replace it with a 12V 4W DC supply designed for 110V/120V.

I was just wondering if any of you guys knew where I could get a high quality 12V DC supply, maybe one designed for audio usage? I'm concerned that if I buy a generic 12V DC supply made for cheap appliances that it might not produce as high quality sound as it could with a properly built supply.

Yes, no problem - but be aware of polarity, as said a few posts above. Otherwise, you could damage the 2170.

I don't think there is an audible sound difference unless the power supply is broken (and creating a hum or other noise).
The supplied 100V supply from STAX is not special at all.

Peter

Dec 24, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #1,860 of 3,322

If you want to use a normal/modified power supply, @maverickronin should have insights. I bought an SRM-212 with a modified power supply from him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back