The Entry Level Stax Thread
Jun 9, 2015 at 2:25 AM Post #1,576 of 3,322
No, no. Your posts are like gold glinting in the sun. They should never be edited.

:p

I'd say my eyes should hurt from the brightness, but it's that fatigue-free Stax brightness, so I can manage to read on just fine!

On another note, I'm contemplating having my GF sew donut pads to encircle the cups and make them semi-circumaural... If I'm careful, I should be able to relieve on-ear pressure (maybe even angle the drivers) while still having the original pads touching my ear and not messing up bass reproduction.

[bass babies]

Jun 12, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #1,584 of 3,322
Well, you'd start off by saying, "The SR-207 sounds like this..." and go on from there.

(Sorry, couldn't resist). 
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #1,585 of 3,322
I've not had the SR-207 on my ears but I'm gonna guess it sounds like a lambda. 

There are a few variations in the lambda sound signature - like the old lambda pro can suffer from an "etch" in the high treble, the nova signature skews to a more omega-like signature, but for the most part the lambda sound is the lambda sound. 

Jun 14, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #1,586 of 3,322
  Hi to all. How would you describe the sound of the SR-207 subjectively?

Thanks.

I like to think it sounds like the AKG Q701, but with all the problems fixed! 
tongue.gif

I think the 207 sounds more natural and less mechanical, clearer, more transparent than a similarly priced dynamic headphone system.
It doesn't have the treble distortion that you hear with a similarly priced dynamic.
When you first try a pair of 207's you'll notice the reduced distortion. 

Jun 14, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #1,587 of 3,322

I like to think it sounds like the AKG Q701, but with all the problems fixed! 
tongue.gif

I think the 207 sounds more natural and less mechanical, clearer, more transparent than a similarly priced dynamic headphone system.
It doesn't have the treble distortion that you hear with a similarly priced dynamic.
When you first try a pair of 207's you'll notice the reduced distortion. 

So you like the SRS-2170 that much? 
tongue.gif
 I'm sure they are fantastic, and i like the 'Basic' logo in the headband along with the brick transducers. Very classy FMT. 
biggrin.gif

Is yours the 100v version from Japan?
And.. with clarity you mean a clearer presence in the sonic image? You can put a good recording, close your eyes and feel like you are there completely?

Thanks again.

Jun 14, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #1,588 of 3,322

So you like the SRS-2170 that much? 
tongue.gif
 I'm sure they are fantastic, and i like the 'Basic' logo in the headband along with the brick transducers. Very classy FMT. 
biggrin.gif

Is yours the 100v version from Japan?
And.. with clarity you mean a clearer presence in the sonic image? You can put a good recording, close your eyes and feel like you are there completely?

Thanks again.

Yes, I like the SRS-2170 that much 
biggrin.gif

I have the 120 Vac power supply, I bought mine in the USA.
Yes, a clearer presence in the sonic image.
I haven't spent much time with the more expensive Stax, these 'phones sound good, but I don't usually get a "you are there" feeling from headphones.
I've gotten that a few times from loudspeakers, though.

Jun 16, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #1,589 of 3,322
I really doubt that the power supply voltage makes a difference. Usually the internal voltages are zener referenced.

Jun 16, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #1,590 of 3,322
It made a pretty noticeable difference to me between the Kashimura step-down transformer and Koizumi step-down transformer/power conditioner. The LH Labs Linear Power Supply made even more of a difference to me, having a blacker background, smoother treble, and better bass presence and control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back