The Entry Level Stax Thread
Jun 7, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #1,561 of 3,322
  Is there a difference between the SR-407 Classic and the SR-407 Signature?

Actually I find the whole heirarchy of Stax phones totally confusing--I wonder if Stax quite understands what they're doing. Why a line of box phones all with different designations of numbers (207, 307, 407, 507) and names (Basic Signature, Classic). all apparently using the same basic driver but with different leads and paired with different amps, all alongside a different series of round phones with different designations (007, 009 etc), at least one of which is known by two designations: 007 Mk II and Omega. To quote from an old  Head Fi review (apologies to Lunatique): "Stax is currently the king of electrostatic headphones, and the SR-007mk2 is their flagship product. It’s also known as the Omega 2 mk2, or O2 mk2. The Omega name comes from the first generation of the model due to the circular shape of the driver housing, which was a departure from Stax’s previous rectangular designs. Then there was the Omega 2, which was the next generation, and sometimes referred to as mk1 version because the next version was called the mk2."

My head hurts.... 

Jun 8, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #1,562 of 3,322

Actually I find the whole heirarchy of Stax phones totally confusing--I wonder if Stax quite understands what they're doing. Why a line of box phones all with different designations of numbers (207, 307, 407, 507) and names (Basic Signature, Classic). all apparently using the same basic driver but with different leads and paired with different amps, all alongside a different series of round phones with different designations (007, 009 etc), at least one of which is known by two designations: 007 Mk II and Omega. To quote from an old  Head Fi review (apologies to Lunatique): "Stax is currently the king of electrostatic headphones, and the SR-007mk2 is their flagship product. It’s also known as the Omega 2 mk2, or O2 mk2. The Omega name comes from the first generation of the model due to the circular shape of the driver housing, which was a departure from Stax’s previous rectangular designs. Then there was the Omega 2, which was the next generation, and sometimes referred to as mk1 version because the next version was called the mk2."

My head hurts.... 

Yeah I never really was a fan of Stax's naming conventions. All the Lambda's perform and sound very similarly, it would have been a lot easier if they just kept it at "Lambda" and just updated it through the years. i.e. something like "Lambda MkV" rather than "Lambda Nova Signature" or whatever the 5th iteration could be considered.
Anyway, I decided to order the 407s. $350 brand new is tough deal to turn down.

Jun 8, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #1,563 of 3,322
Basic
Classic
Signature

Those are the three general names given to the products released at the time.
SR-207 - Basic
SR-307 - Classic
SR-407 - Signature

For example.

Pro denotes pro bias:
SR-Λ (Normal Bias)
SR-Λ Pro (Pro Bias)

For example.

But then the SR-Λ Pro is Pro bias, and so is the SR-Λ Signature (Pro is not in the name). Then the SR-Λ Pro Classic came out after the SR-Λ Signature, which came out after the SR-Λ Pro [presumably Basic].

Jun 8, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #1,565 of 3,322
Basic
Classic
Signature

Those are the three general names given to the products released at the time.
SR-207 - Basic
SR-307 - Classic
SR-407 - Signature

For example.

Pro denotes pro bias:
SR-Λ (Normal Bias)
SR-Λ Pro (Pro Bias)

For example.

But then the SR-Λ Pro is Pro bias, and so is the SR-Λ Signature (Pro is not in the name). Then the SR-Λ Pro Classic came out after the SR-Λ Signature, which came out after the SR-Λ Pro [presumably Basic].

I am not sure to understand.... the lambda nova basic is not the 207 though.... i have the lambda nova basic....
bigsmile_face.gif
the 207 was a basic stax set but not the same that this other basic the lambda nova basic lol

Jun 8, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #1,567 of 3,322
I am not sure to understand.... the lambda nova basic is not the 207 though.... i have the lambda nova basic....:bigsmile_face: the 207 was a basic stax set but not the same that this other basic the lambda nova basic lol

That's why I said "for example."
XD

There's still three lines in the SR-Λ Nova series:
SR-Λ Nova - Basic
SR-Λ Nova - Classic
SR-Λ Nova - Signature

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Stax_products

Jun 8, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #1,568 of 3,322
I kinda want a nova signature but i don't want to pay what they go for these days

.:Sent by pneumatic tubes

Jun 8, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #1,569 of 3,322
For that matter i would love to have a sigma too

.:Sent by pneumatic tubes

Jun 8, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #1,570 of 3,322
Can't they just label them "cheap", "moderate", "expensive", "rilly expensive" and "rilly, rilly expensive"?

Jun 8, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #1,572 of 3,322
That's why I said "for example."
XD

There's still three lines in the SR-Λ Nova series:
SR-Λ Nova - Basic
SR-Λ Nova - Classic
SR-Λ Nova - Signature

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Stax_products

youre perfectly correct...... i understand that you cannot explain all the nuances of this mess in a few words
atsmile.gif
my remark  is only  an exemple of the stax confusion for the non educated not a critic
ph34r.gif
of you

Jun 8, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #1,574 of 3,322
You forgot 'bloody exorbitant' and 'you've got to be kidding--I'm not paying that for a headphone!'

Then I'll have to edit my earlier post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back