The Entry Level Stax Thread
Apr 28, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #1,516 of 3,322
Thanks davidsh, good to know.

Chris and sam... if you google "herandu" you can see the mess Stanley caused here a couple years ago. A lot of OG members wont buy from him because of what happened

May 1, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #1,518 of 3,322
Hi there,
Between Stax 207 with the 252 amp and the Stax 507 with the same 252 amp, what do you think about this battle of stax's headphone ?
Don't you think the 507 is not at is maximum possibility with my current amp (srm 252 Stax) ?
I have a ps audio nuwave like dac.

Many thanks for your answer guys.
Cya.

May 1, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #1,520 of 3,322
Hi there,
Between Stax 207 with the 252 amp and the Stax 507 with the same 252 amp, what do you think about this battle of stax's headphone ?
Don't you think the 507 is not at is maximum possibility with my current amp (srm 252 Stax) ?
I have a ps audio nuwave like dac.

Many thanks for your answer guys.
Cya.

One person, who's opinion I trust, advised me to upgrade the amp first.

May 1, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #1,521 of 3,322
From my experience, most of the Lambda earspeakers more or less sound similar. Tyll's measurements on Innerfidelity confirm that; generally the older units are brighter, less smooth throughout the frequency response, and have a more pronounced 9-10 kHz peak.

The measured differences between the SR-207 and the 507 look really minimal to me.

I'd personally upgrade the amp first since I've read that the SRM-252S is the weakest link in the chain for the earspeakers, assuming you have a decent DAC and music files.

May 1, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #1,522 of 3,322
From my experience, most of the Lambda earspeakers more or less sound similar. Tyll's measurements on Innerfidelity confirm that; generally the older units are brighter, less smooth throughout the frequency response, and have a more pronounced 9-10 kHz peak.

The measured differences between the SR-207 and the 507 look really minimal to me.

I'd personally upgrade the amp first since I've read that the SRM-252S is the weakest link in the chain for the earspeakers, assuming you have a decent DAC and music files.

Its so interesting to me.  tylls measurements conflict with most reviews that I have read pretty consistently.  In fact I've read the opposite is true most of the time.  the upper end lambdas surely have more frequency extension, but smoother?  I've never heard that.  The original sr-lambda is one of the smoothest in the lambda line.  when compared against the new offerings from the 307 up, I would never call it bright.

Not slamming the measurements.  I guess it just seems that they don't tell the whole story, or that there are other factors involved? amp, cables, etc.. ?

I'm not expert here, just voicing an observance and opinion.

May 2, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #1,523 of 3,322
I have not heard the 507, but I have the 407 which reportedly have the same driver as the 507. I heard someone mentioned the modern Lambdas are more tuned towards modern pop music, I think I would agree with that.

I found the 407 to have more bass than the previous Lambda, but it all sounds a bit muddy compared to older Lambda like the Nova Signature and the Signature. I heard someone calling the bass out of PS1000 good bass, I would agree with that. To me the bass out of a 407 is neither crisp or accurate enough. With the 407, notes seem to linger for a bit more. They are still fast, the characteristic Stax sound is still there, but just not as crisp.

May 3, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #1,524 of 3,322
Its so interesting to me.  tylls measurements conflict with most reviews that I have read pretty consistently.  In fact I've read the opposite is true most of the time.  the upper end lambdas surely have more frequency extension, but smoother?  I've never heard that.  The original sr-lambda is one of the smoothest in the lambda line.  when compared against the new offerings from the 307 up, I would never call it bright.

Not slamming the measurements.  I guess it just seems that they don't tell the whole story, or that there are other factors involved? amp, cables, etc.. ?

I'm not expert here, just voicing an observance and opinion.

Where are the reviews you've read?
Here's one that I found:
Above data clearly shows the difference between Professional, Signature, and SR-207: As expected, compared to the other two, SR-207 is further damped by a few decibels in the treble for less harshness with its lower/higher ends further extended. Here's a rule of thumb for STAX headphones: The more recent the model is, the wider the frequency bandwidth becomes.

And I would say the SR-207 is indeed less harsh than the Lambda Signature and Nova Basic when I listened to them. The latter sounded much brighter to me compared to the 207.

Or here too, the 404 LE came out after the 404 Signature, and that came out after the Lambda Pro.
http://www.headfonia.com/sr-404le-sr-404-signature-and-sr-lambda-pro/4/

May 3, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #1,525 of 3,322
Ah, I see where your coming from now.  Yes, there are most definitely vintage stax that are more harsh then the new offerings.  I guess I was thinking of the original sr lambda, lambda nova signature, and the discontinued 404LE specifically.  I was speaking to the generalization that vintage stax are bright.  I don't think that is true.  I think there are vintage stax that fit that description, but not all of them.  The signature is known for its etch for sure.  so any of the new offerings would likely be warmer then that.

I've heard most of these cans for extended periods.  I own the SR-Lambda.

May 3, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #1,526 of 3,322

I had the same feeling when I listened to a SR-307 connected to two different amps, there is an audible difference... yet I opted for the cheaper 2170 combo to start with. I read somewhere else that some people do not hear any difference between amps which I could not really believe

Which amp would you recommend with a SR-207 as an upgrade ?

May 3, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #1,527 of 3,322
I had the same feeling when I listened to a SR-307 connected to two different amps, there is an audible difference... yet I opted for the cheaper 2170 combo to start with. I read somewhere else that some people do not hear any difference between amps which I could not really believe

Which amp would you recommend with a SR-207 as an upgrade ?

I was recommended that the SRM-323 model is really the best option from STAX in terms of price and performance. Spritzer agrees too, at least for the currently-produced products.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/listening-great-headphone-amplifiers-and-stax-sr-900
(at bottom of the first page of comments)

Jun 4, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #1,529 of 3,322
  Just been given a new 2170 set up by a mate who's shutting up shop,only trouble is there is no power supply. Been in contact with Symmetry Systems who have quoted me £45 !!!! anyone offer up alternatives this seems steep for just a wall wart.

You can use any appropriately rated wall wart, but you might have to reverse polarity of the output. You can do that by either rewiring it yourself, or buy on that have output plug which allows you to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back