The Entry Level Stax Thread
Apr 25, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #1,501 of 3,322
Thanks you for the answers :)

Well I think it will be enough for the soundstage
Hum, is a Schiit Bifrost a good choice for this headphone?

What about the quality of this converter?

Apr 25, 2015 at 5:03 AM Post #1,502 of 3,322

I have a Modi 2 Uber and am very happy with it.
While I'm still struggling whether and how much the difference of a DAC for me really is, when I just installed my new Lynx Hilo (definitely in another price range...), I was blown away.
But I would say you would love the STAX with any Schiit DAC for sure.

Peter

Apr 25, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #1,504 of 3,322

Lately I've been using Beresford DACs with my Stax SRS-2170.
Their customer service is quite good.
For a while I used the Beresford Bushmaster II, approx. $300.
Lately I've used the Beresford Caiman II, approx. $400.
Either DAC is good enough for an SRS-2170.

I tried using the FiiO E17..........that DAC is not good enough, the Stax exposes it as a muddy, foggy sounding DAC, but the E17 is only $125

Apr 25, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #1,505 of 3,322
If you are looking to buy a new DAC I'd strongly recommend against the Beresford. Simply because the owner has a history of trying to scam head-fi and other forums.

Apr 25, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #1,507 of 3,322
Can a pair of SR-X be repaired by someone with no experience? I am always deeply suspicious of these "only a little problem, I would fix it myself but don't have time" ads. Here is a pair of SR-X for sale. The seller has new earpads, mylar and glue but wants to sell them as fixer uppers. Given he has plenty of other ads flipping gear I am thinking if the fix was easy it would be done by now:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-electronique/ville-de-quebec/ensemble-stax/1013904797?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

The price is silly for a broken set and I already have a SRD-6SB so the only interest would be if the phones are fixable. Worth making an offer on or pass?

Thanks

Apr 27, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #1,510 of 3,322
Quick question. It might be stupid to ask but why not be on the safe side. The STAX Lambda series earspeakers have traditionally been packaged in a polystyrene foam box. I'm guessing the answer is an obvious no because STAX packages their products in said containers, but is there any risk for damaging the earspeakers via electrostatic discharge if charges get built up on the polystyrene?

Similarly, would it be safe for the earspeakers to be packaged in a shipping box when it's just wrapped in bubble wrap?

Apr 27, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #1,511 of 3,322
If you are looking to buy a new DAC I'd strongly recommend against the Beresford. Simply because the owner has a history of trying to scam head-fi and other forums.

Interesting.  I purchased the Beresford Caimain Mk2 directly from Stan.  While I can't argue that the gent can be quite quirky, he had an opportunity to screw me and definitely did not.  The Caiman Mk2 boxes above its weight for the cost, and sounded very good into my KGST to SR-007A's before the channel imbalance in the Stax reared its head...I hate it when that happens.

HS

Apr 27, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #1,512 of 3,322

Interesting.  I purchased the Beresford Caimain Mk2 directly from Stan.  While I can't argue that the gent can be quite quirky, he had an opportunity to screw me and definitely did not.  The Caiman Mk2 boxes above its weight for the cost, and sounded very good into my KGST to SR-007A's before the channel imbalance in the Stax reared its head...I hate it when that happens.

HS

Dont want to get too far off topic but the scam pertained to shilling

Apr 27, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #1,513 of 3,322
To keep it somewhat OT... how are the stax portable systems? Are the iems a true in-ear design that requires a seal? I have really bad luck with iems normally.

Apr 27, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #1,514 of 3,322

HS

I agree with everything you say.
I had the same experience with Stan.

Apr 28, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #1,515 of 3,322
The Stax in ears don't require a seal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back