The Entry Level Stax Thread
Feb 20, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #961 of 3,322
  Mind sharing what you didn't like about the higher end models? I'd rather pay a bit more now than upgrading to the 407/507 later and wasting more money. 

I have about $650 saved right now, but I'm not looking to get over $1,000 or so on the whole setup. So, pretty much 2170 system or a 307 + SRS252s. Maybe I'll suck it up and do 3170 if I can save up longer.

Now, where did you find the 307/323S under $1,000? Cheapest I've seen is $1,100ish.

Did Justin Beaver really just ask me that question?

To answer it, there is nothing high end about the 307,407 and 507 model(s) other than being the only current and in production Lambda's which are entry level electrostats to Stax and the 507 is a rehashed 407 with same driver just different pads and premium headband arc assembly. The vintage Lambda models are better than the new x07 models. 

If you know where to look, 323S can be had for $450-500 shipped.

Feb 20, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #962 of 3,322
The SR-X07 and older Lambda series (be it SR-X0X or the numberless line) are too different to blanket as being definitively better than one or the other, from construction to overall sound.

With the exception of age-related issues such as deteriorating foam and potential driver damage from dust and/or arcing, I would consider a vintage set of Lambdas to be a "better buy" solely on the basis of the new Lambdas being somewhat expensive for what they are, at least new.

The Japanese auction sites can have great deals but it seems like a whole lot of hassle for such a trivial purchase as a Stax amp that can be had new or like-new for relatively cheap domestically, already ready to run on 117V. Vintage gear, on the other hand...

Feb 20, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #963 of 3,322
Did Justin Beaver really just ask me that question?

To answer it, there is nothing high end about the 307,407 and 507 model(s) other than being the only current and in production Lambda's which are entry level electrostats to Stax and the 507 is a rehashed 407 with same driver just different pads and premium headband arc assembly. The vintage Lambda models are better than the new x07 models. 

If you know where to look, 323S can be had for $450-500 shipped.

As an alternate opinion, many have stated they feel the 407/507 are better in many ways than the HD800 (check out the 507 appreciation thread). Maybe that's true of the older lambdas too, but I wouldn't know since I haven't had the opportunity to hear any :frowning2: Coming from (ortho)dynamics I have been impressed by the 507, but it's quite possible my Stax palate isn't very refined :)

DefQon, didn't you say the 207 is more like the old lambdas? If so, they may be a good alternative if Justin Beiber (really???...) doesn't want to buy used.

Also, are you referring to Price Japan when you say you can get the 323 for that price? If not, can you PM me where you are talking about?

Feb 20, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #964 of 3,322
As an alternate opinion, many have stated they feel the 407/507 are better in many ways than the HD800 (check out the 507 appreciation thread). Maybe that's true of the older lambdas too, but I wouldn't know since I haven't had the opportunity to hear any
frown.gif
Coming from (ortho)dynamics I have been impressed by the 507, but it's quite possible my Stax palate isn't very refined
smily_headphones1.gif

DefQon, didn't you say the 207 is more like the old lambdas? If so, they may be a good alternative if Justin Beiber (really???...) doesn't want to buy used.

Also, are you referring to Price Japan when you say you can get the 323 for that price? If not, can you PM me where you are talking about?

Well it's coming from an appreciation thread so what do you expect, I've owned the HD800's 3 times and have tried different rigs, the HD800 gives good return for sound if you pay attention to your source and especially amplification, spritzer has stated that his HD800 on Dougs L2 is almost on par with his well powered HE60 in terms of sound performance which is saying something. If you plug and play the HD800 into whatever amp or fed by whatever source then yeah it doesn't sound very good at all, once amped right, the Lambda's don't even compare since they all sound very close in tonality and sound sig to the HD800's. 

The disadvantage thing being it a dynamic transducer and since we are talking about the HD800's is that proper amplification does drive the cost of an HD800 setup a fair bit compared to when you can just plug and play a Lambda into whatever Stax amp.

I never stated the 207 (if memory serves right) was like the old Lambda only that it is the more balanced and neutralish modern Lambda of the current lineup's just a tint of extra brightness. 

Well I got my new 323S from YJ for $480 shipped all I had to do is re-solder the 100v VAC input and wire an extra wire to the trafo for 240v. 

Feb 20, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #965 of 3,322
  The SR-X07 and older Lambda series (be it SR-X0X or the numberless line) are too different to blanket as being definitively better than one or the other, from construction to overall sound.

Too different? No absolutely not, I've owned and heard enough to say they all carry roughly the same tonality and bright sound signature which is the usual Stax house sound, only slight areas such as treble and such can make a deal break of a difference to the user which can perceive a personal night or day difference. The Lambda Pro, portable Stax and the O2 are the only Stax that I've had direct experience with that don't sound bright with a more laid back sound sig compared to the rest of the Stax. Can't say anything for the rare 4070.

Feb 20, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #966 of 3,322
Fair enough about the appreciation thread thing, it's not exactly an unbiased source of info :) I just thought I'd point it out because some people do like the 507.

Also, I guess I was referring to your saying the 207 is more balanced and neutral than the other x07 models. Sorry for the misquote.

I'll have to check out YJ. Thanks for that :)

Feb 20, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #968 of 3,322
  Disagree. The differences between the X07 and the older generation in bass performance at the very least is not subtle.

Depends on which model you're comparing to. The newer stuff have more mid-bass hump and are boomier which is one attribute why a lot prefer the older to the newer.

Feb 20, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #970 of 3,322
Well it's coming from an appreciation thread so what do you expect, I've owned the HD800's 3 times and have tried different rigs, the HD800 gives good return for sound if you pay attention to your source and especially amplification, spritzer has stated that his HD800 on Dougs L2 is almost on par with his well powered HE60 in terms of sound performance which is saying something. If you plug and play the HD800 into whatever amp or fed by whatever source then yeah it doesn't sound very good at all, once amped right, the Lambda's don't even compare since they all sound very close in tonality and sound sig to the HD800's. 

The disadvantage thing being it a dynamic transducer and since we are talking about the HD800's is that proper amplification does drive the cost of an HD800 setup a fair bit compared to when you can just plug and play a Lambda into whatever Stax amp.

I never stated the 207 (if memory serves right) was like the old Lambda only that it is the more balanced and neutralish modern Lambda of the current lineup's just a tint of extra brightness. 

Well I got my new 323S from YJ for $480 shipped all I had to do is re-solder the 100v VAC input and wire an extra wire to the trafo for 240v. 

If I think I understand you correctly, an equivalent sounding Stax system is cheaper than an HD800 and a proper amp?

Feb 21, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #972 of 3,322
I agree here with DefQon that the older Stax Models, SR-Lambda, SR-Lambda pro, SR Lambda Nova and especially SR-Lambda Signature (my favourit) sound more balanced than the current line up. But they are not really cheaper when bought use, the can depending on Model and condition run anywhere between 300$ (Lambda normal bias) -700$ (Lambda Signature).

Zhe newer ones are voiced to what Stax seems to see as a more modern sound. The boomier bass has his fans but most Stax veterans prefer the older ones.

Regarding risk of failure when buying 20-30 years old Lambdas I have to state I had a bunch of them even torn outside, but the driver still worked. They are really robust studio phones and verry longliving.

Feb 21, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #973 of 3,322
Nah, the new series not only has slightly more bass quantity but also better bass quality. In fact I distinctly remember one of our most distinguished members citing that the SR-507 has cleaner bass than the "typical" Lambda. I don't remember any negative impressions of the 507 actually, besides the fact that it wasn't an Omega.

You can get older Lambdas for dirt cheap from people who either don't understand their current value, and/or from the one-off Yahoo Japan auction. Used market for the newer series is slim-to-nonexistent.

Feb 21, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #975 of 3,322
I have yet to see these dirt cheap lambdas you speak of.

You don't really see most of them in my experience. Sometimes they pop up 'locally'. I bought a Sigma NB locally for less than 200$ for example. Also bought a T1 and LS locally for little over 600$. Generally speaking, that is very cheap, especially as I am in europe and most prices are really jerked up here, as we can't import without paying big time taxes.

The site that is mainly used in my country is roughly equivalent to craigslist and very popular. Stax gear mostly pops up 1-3 times in a month, some sellers don't really know what they are selling and current market value. Both were bought from original owners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back