The Entry Level Stax Thread
Dec 7, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #796 of 3,322
Considering how I can only go halfway up the dial on my T1 while using pretty much any Lambda, I'd say that you should have more than enough voltage, even at 340V.

Dec 7, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #797 of 3,322
Yeah, but you know what is said about the sigma.. And amps... Idk.

Dec 7, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #798 of 3,322
Yeah, well, a lot of things are said on these forums. Stax saw fit to pair the original SR-Omega with the T1, so why not the Sigma? I would think they know their own creations better than anyone else does.

Dec 7, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #799 of 3,322
  Yeah, well, a lot of things are said on these forums. Stax saw fit to pair the original SR-Omega with the T1, so why not the Sigma? I would think they know their own creations better than anyone else does.

That goes against pretty much everything that has ever been said about the omega, lolz. Haven't seen anyone claiming they sound good out of the T1. Ohh well.. In case I end up with that sigma and don't like it, someone might get lucky here on the forum, as flipping for profit isn't really for me.. Is it lcd-2 dark by the way?

Dec 7, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #800 of 3,322
I will DEFINITELY take that Sigma if you don't want it. :wink:

Also, the T1 and Lambda NB aren't supposed to be a good match, either. I love them. They're my end-game setup (I compared them to an SR-009 out of a KGSS and was satisfied with what I had) unless I can get a Sigma.

What I want to get across here is that you should try for yourself. Human beings are very different between each other in their perception of reality. You also essentially have nothing to lose, since Sigmas are very highly sought after and you will have no problem at all reselling them if you don't like it.

Dec 7, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #801 of 3,322
  That goes against pretty much everything that has ever been said about the omega, lolz. Haven't seen anyone claiming they sound good out of the T1. Ohh well.. In case I end up with that sigma and don't like it, someone might get lucky here on the forum, as flipping for profit isn't really for me.. Is it lcd-2 dark by the way?

I used my Omega off the T1S, it was just good sounding but definitely not optimal after you have direct experience with other better amps and combinations. There is a reason why the Omega was later marketed with the T2 amp. The T1 is nice but it doesn't cut it with the low power output. An SRM1 MK2 has more ompph than the T1.

Dec 7, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #802 of 3,322
I don't understand why Stax doesn't make an end-game amp like the T2 anymore. They are letting third-party engineers eat up a significant portion of their market base without any attempt at competition.

Dec 7, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #803 of 3,322
  I don't understand why Stax doesn't make an end-game amp like the T2 anymore. They are letting third-party engineers eat up a significant portion of their market base without any attempt at competition.

Because the T2 was full of problems and no good parts such as old school speced transistors are in production anymore. From what I read they lost a significant amount of $ on the production of the T2 for every unit sold (which was limited to begin with). You'd be heading into the $20-30k range if Stax was to make something as insane as the T2, so they have to make sure there targeting the right audience.

Dec 8, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #804 of 3,322
The T1 is actually often recommended as a great amp for the SR-Lambda.  I don't think the SR-Omega sounds bad from the T1, but I don't think it's possible to make that headphone sound bad unless the amp is horrific.  It does obviously sound better on the BH though.

Dec 8, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #805 of 3,322
Sound stage isn't the strongest point of the lambdas IME. Get an hd800 if you want sound stage..

Not the strongest point, but not the weakest, either. I advocated Lambdas as gaming headphones (albeit overkill ones) for good reason, and they'd be no good for that purpose with a narrow soundstage.

Also, the T1 and Lambda NB aren't supposed to be a good match, either. I love them. They're my end-game setup (I compared them to an SR-009 out of a KGSS and was satisfied with what I had) unless I can get a Sigma.

With a statement like that...yeah, if I start chasing Stax again, it seems like it would be best to go with what I know I love, because other Stax models are either going to sound worse to my ears or cost far too much for me to justify the price.

On the off chance you do get a Sigma and decide you don't want that Lambda anymore, let me know. (Not that I see that happening, unless you're really desparate. That Lambda is too good.)

Dec 8, 2013 at 6:30 AM Post #806 of 3,322

Stax went broke doing exactly that in the 90's.

Dec 8, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #807 of 3,322
  Sigma and T1... Think about the horror, the Stax aficionados must cringe if I should end up with it. Isn't it said to be almost as inefficient as sr-007's?

I would agree that the Sigma/404 and the SR-007 Mk1 were audibly as loud as each other for the same volume setting.

Dec 8, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #808 of 3,322
Their chief and pretty much only engineer is working on a better amp.

Dec 8, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #810 of 3,322
Original owner it seems. I might be in luck though, its a shame it has been packed away for years according to the seller. It'll get a lovely home now 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back