The Entry Level Stax Thread
Dec 9, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #826 of 3,322

The difference between 230V and 580V bias is that the bass gets tighter at the expense of more etch because the diaphragm gets tighter, and the stators are placed farther apart. The technical parts, I learned from the Stax brochure that came with my SRM-1/MK2.

The Lambda NB beats pretty much every other Lambda I've tried in terms of the treble presentation.

(I really wish my T1 wasn't dead right now.)

You mean mids? The NB is well known for its mids, treble is lacking extension but no infamous etch present on some models. That was the only thing good about them, natural midrange but the expense of low-end and bit of extension on treble and such compared to a better pro-bias LNS or so. At least this is my personal interpretation of the 3 or 4 normal bias that I've owned along with the other earspeaker crap (good crap).

Dec 9, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #827 of 3,322
  You mean mids? The NB is well known for its mids, treble is lacking extension but no infamous etch present on some models. That was the only thing good about them, natural midrange but the expense of low-end and bit of extension on treble and such compared to a better pro-bias LNS or so.  

No. I am speaking purely of the technical differences between Normal and Pro bias, regardless of headphone model, unless you mean my comment on the treble, which of course has to do with the etch (or lack thereof). Sure, other earspeakers might have better potential combined attributes, but how much more do you have to spend on the amp to make it so? For someone like me, the Lambda Normal bias is the end-game with the amp I have.

Also, I have learned to stop listening to the opinions of anyone else when it comes to Stax, because other people's opinions usually end up differing from my own (even when I go to great lengths to be unbiased and scientific in my observations). The only ears I trust in this thread are mine.

Dec 9, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #828 of 3,322

No. I am speaking purely of the technical differences between Normal and Pro bias, regardless of headphone model, unless you mean my comment on the treble, which of course has to do with the etch (or lack thereof). Sure, other earspeakers might have better potential combined attributes, but how much more do you have to spend on the amp to make it so? For someone like me, the Lambda Normal bias is the end-game with the amp I have.

Also, I have learned to stop listening to the opinions of anyone else when it comes to Stax, because other people's opinions usually end up differing from my own (even when I go to great lengths to be unbiased and scientific in my observations). The only ears I trust in this thread are mine.

Yeah if that's what you meant I can't disagree with you then, your ears your impressions I was just reading it sideways and it sounded off as if you were stating it like a fact (which you didn't). So all good.

Dec 9, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #829 of 3,322

The difference between 230V and 580V bias is that the bass gets tighter at the expense of more etch because the diaphragm gets tighter, and the stators are placed farther apart. The technical parts, I learned from the Stax brochure that came with my SRM-1/MK2.

The Lambda NB beats pretty much every other Lambda I've tried in terms of the treble presentation.

(I really wish my T1 wasn't dead right now.)

You mean mids? The NB is well known for its mids, treble is lacking extension but no infamous etch present on some models. That was the only thing good about them, natural midrange but the expense of low-end and bit of extension on treble and such compared to a better pro-bias LNS or so. At least this is my personal interpretation of the 3 or 4 normal bias that I've owned along with the other earspeaker crap (good crap).

schiit (good schiit).

It's killing me being in school. A blown HE-500 and an old (new) Sigma at home.. Got a srd-6 box with it btw. Can it possibly sound better with a speaker amp and the srd-6 (compared to the T1)?

Dec 9, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #830 of 3,322
  schiit (good schiit).

It's killing me being in school. A blown HE-500 and an old (new) Sigma at home.. Got a srd-6 box with it btw. Can it possibly sound better with a speaker amp and the srd-6 (compared to the T1)?

By blown, you don't literally mean "blown" as in being damaged right? 
confused.gif

Dec 9, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #831 of 3,322

schiit (good schiit).

By blown, you don't literally mean "blown" as in being damaged right? 
confused.gif

Yep. Wanna see?

Dec 9, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #833 of 3,322
I believe a (the) tube(s) died. I actually have no idea, though.

It works, assuming you like lots of distortion in the left channel.

Dec 9, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #834 of 3,322
  I believe a (the) tube(s) died. I actually have no idea, though.

It works, assuming you like lots of distortion in the left channel.

Adjust DC offset with a DMM to measure get as close possible 0vdc.

Tube gone bad is also another possibility, make sure no resistors gone bad inside.

@davidsh: that sucks!

Dec 9, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #835 of 3,322
Sigma and gaming. I wonder... 
rolleyes.gif

Too bad I don't really have the time right now.

Dec 10, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #836 of 3,322
It seems the Sigma synergises well with metal and EDM along with cello and piano. Decent with vocals, though not necessarily the best I have heard. Am about to try with symphonies now. I do find it to be limited by the T1 (without really knowing the alternatives). The bass can be slightly boomy, the sound isn't as engaging as I'd wish, they can be a little soft sounding. Actually, they do seem to be more dynamic sounding than my lambda sig, yet limited by the amp. I am sure a better amp can tighten that bass a little as well. A bit of solid state sound wouldn't do anything either, I suppose.

Dec 10, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #837 of 3,322
  Not as in...

My quote is from T2, the hot Terminator chick was in T3. 
tongue_smile.gif

She had a lousy personality, though.

Dec 10, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #839 of 3,322
  When tubes are tested, what does the result number, in the form of "xx/xx" mean?

A triode has two systems inside the tube. The numbers should be as close as possible, that means that the two systems emit electrons equally strong. A higher number usually indicates that the tube is in a good shape. Depending on which type of tube and tube testing device there is a number that is equal to 100% quality (=full power).

Dec 10, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #840 of 3,322
Anybody ever gone on a plane ride with their STAX? Not wearing them on the plane itself, just putting them in a carry-on.
I'm considering bringing my SR-202s back home over winter break, but I don't know if the cardboard and styrofoam box would fare very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back