The Entry Level Stax Thread
Sep 2, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #361 of 3,322
The eBay flood continues!

-Lambda Nova Basic without headband. The inner earcup foam has been replaced. You can buy replacements on Yama's/STAX USA with ease...if you don't mind spending $135 or so for one. Keep that in mind when bidding, along with the lack of a transformer box or amp of any kind. (Especially one with Pro bias output.)

-SRM-1/Mk2. Non-Professional model, so it's dual Normal bias output, though directions for a Pro bias supply mod can be found online.

-SR-202 + SRM-212. It's not my favorite combo, as I've made clear numerous times, but a lot of people seem to like it to warrant bringing it up.

Also, I may even sell that recently-purchased SR-Lambda and SRM-T1 along with the other stuff (the "beater" Lambda, SRD-6 and SRD-7/SB) soon. I don't necessarily want to, but when money's too tight to mention...

Sep 3, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #362 of 3,322
Quote:
The eBay flood continues!

-Lambda Nova Basic without headband. The inner earcup foam has been replaced. You can buy replacements on Yama's/STAX USA with ease...if you don't mind spending $135 or so for one. Keep that in mind when bidding, along with the lack of a transformer box or amp of any kind. (Especially one with Pro bias output.)

What a rip off. $235 for a no headband arc assembly Lambda? What is the seller thinking about considering SR-Lambda's go around average $250 by itself these days excluding any included energizers. Not to mention any sort of imbalance issues that can be present if that pair of Lambda was dropped from whatever distance breaking the headband.

Sep 3, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #363 of 3,322
Quote:
Ok. I heard the older normal bias Lambdas sounds better than the Pros? Have you heard of the older Lambdas?
I can use srd-6/7 with sr 207, right?

Different strokes for different folks. Dare I say more like the pro-bias Lambda's than the normal-bias one (which is just 1: the original SR-Lambda). The normal-bias Sigma is a different story all together as I haven't heard it only owned the Sigma Pro which sounded damn great powered by a 85wpc class A hybrid tube amp via a SRD-7sb MK2 energizer. If I had binaural recordings only I'd pick the Sigma Pro's over any of the stuff I've heard anyday of the remaining years I have to live till I die.

The SR-Lambda has a great mid-range imho that's where it stops, I find all the pro-bias models to have better extension, soundstaging and bass compared to the SR-Lambda, which is the only normal bias of the Lambda frame series.

Then there are other pro-bias and normal-bias models, Gamma's, SR-X's, Sigma's etc.

It's all about preference.

SRD-5,6, 7 and 7sb models can only power normal-bias earspeakers, not pro-bias. The SRD-7 Professional and the SRD-7sb MK2 are the only energizers that can power both pro-bias and normal-bias stats. The later 2 go for a lot more $$$ and are pretty rare since they were the later units released in Stax history.

Sep 3, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #364 of 3,322
Quote:
What a rip off. $235 for a no headband arc assembly Lambda? What is the seller thinking about considering SR-Lambda's go around average $250 by itself these days excluding any included energizers. Not to mention any sort of imbalance issues that can be present if that pair of Lambda was dropped from whatever distance breaking the headband.

That's what I want to know. There's a reason I suggested just bidding instead of taking the Buy-It-Now price, as it MIGHT be worth it at $100. Not much higher than that, though, given the expense of a replacement arc.

As for general SR-Lambda preference, I know spritzer greatly favors the Normal bias set and hates the Lambda Pro, especially citing a recessed midrange, though again, that's just another man's opinion. Another factor is that he favors taking the mineral wool out of the earcups, something that hasn't been used in the Lambda design from the Lambda Signature onward.

I personally live for midrange, but that's not to say I don't like extension, either; if you think a real SR-Lambda has no extension, wait 'til you hear my "beater" set!

I'd have to say that the Nova lineup has the most of my curiosity right now, particularly the famed Lambda Nova Signature (not to be mistaken for the earlier Lambda Signature with the vintage arc and 1-micron diaphragms)...but the concern that the midrange is downgraded in some way is what holds me back.

Sep 3, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #365 of 3,322
Quote:

That's what I want to know. There's a reason I suggested just bidding instead of taking the Buy-It-Now price, as it MIGHT be worth it at $100. Not much higher than that, though, given the expense of a replacement arc.

As for general SR-Lambda preference, I know spritzer greatly favors the Normal bias set and hates the Lambda Pro, especially citing a recessed midrange, though again, that's just another man's opinion. Another factor is that he favors taking the mineral wool out of the earcups, something that hasn't been used in the Lambda design from the Lambda Signature onward.

I personally live for midrange, but that's not to say I don't like extension, either; if you think a real SR-Lambda has no extension, wait 'til you hear my "beater" set!

I'd have to say that the Nova lineup has the most of my curiosity right now, particularly the famed Lambda Nova Signature (not to be mistaken for the earlier Lambda Signature with the vintage arc and 1-micron diaphragms)...but the concern that the midrange is downgraded in some way is what holds me back.

Yeah a $100 or maybe even stretching it at $130-150 pushing it on the condition is ok for a pair like that. 

Well sprtizer likes the normal bias Lambda's over most other pro-bias Lambda's not just the Lambda Pro's, as I said different strokes for different folks. I recall spritzer was one of the few who pointed out that the mineral wool used in the LP and the normal bias Lambda makes no difference to sound, while others have found some airy improvement to the aspects of sound.

I have heard and owned 2 pairs of Lambda's in the past, not that they don't have extension but ime and imo they do lack in bass extension and a bit with treble compared to the other highly praised pro-bias Lambdas, LP, LNS, LS, LPC, LNC, 404/LE, 202/207 etc. If you absolutely loved mids get yourself a SR-5/SR-5NB/Gamma Pro/SR-X MK3 and call it a day. 

To me the LNS and a lot of others who have owned quite some pairs of these old stats, find it better than the Lambda's in pretty much every way, but I'm unsure who wins between the LS vs LNS as I haven't heard or owned the LS before.

Sep 3, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #366 of 3,322
Quote:

BTW saw the MA-900 post in the Rank thread. That's got my interest.

Anyhow here is a graph of the LNSignature off of my LN Classics manual for some idea. I imagine it would be slightly different maybe if you have those newer earside nylon inserts (?)  I had two LNC at the same time one with newer pads ( 307 pads are the equivalent ) and original foam earside inserts I sold to a relative , and this second set with the new pads and new style inserts. I found these new ones to be a bit better sounding even though they are serial #00047, but who knows.
They did both have new pads so inserts being the only difference, assuming all else was even.

Tempted to put them on the chopping block but am having trouble making up my mind .
 The Nova Classic is a bit hard to come by and these are basically flawless no sound issues either. Friggin place i got them from ( a Yahoo Japan forwarder service ) tossed the styrofoam in the interests of shipping. I hear they had a habit of that. Oh well can't listen to styrofoam right.

Hope the chart is of interest there. It's a B&K test setup.

As a side note, and who knows if everyone agrees, in conversation with someone here who certainly knows the history of stuff ( unnamed member ) they mentioned that the Nova series basically ironed out the issues seen in earlier models and was the sweet spot for the lambdas, then of course the  company folded again right after this. The new revived comapny then came back with the newer series after the Novas and I guess brought back some of the older issues again. Issues of course being relative to personal tastes and general consensus I suppose.

Sep 3, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #367 of 3,322
I haven't removed the wool for at least 6 years now.  The only exception is when I make a normal bias set from a Sigma 404 mod.  The wool does make a difference but it's effects were highly exaggerated at the time.  Ditto for the how good the L-Pro is as people were using them with the fubar Single Power ES-1's and they sort of worked together... 

Sep 3, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #368 of 3,322
Just received my SR-Lambda Normal bias and 
color]

color]

color]

More than 30 years but absolutely mint condition
Fantastic sound, with excellent extension compared to my other normal bias cans. A bit bright, yeah, but I like it.
250 € (329 $) shipped, with an SRD-7/SB included (no need, but I'll sell it), a really great deal 
smily_headphones1.gif

Ali

Sep 3, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #369 of 3,322
Suppose I wanted to get a USB power isolator for my USB DAC (which is powered entirely through USB, and a hub at that). Would I be able to hear any sort of difference, even using my mid-tier Stax system?

http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=122 is what I'm looking to get. I realize that this is only tangentially related to Stax in general, but since I've seen many members in Stax threads talking about how important the power supply is for amps, I figure the same people might know how it affects a DAC as well.

Sep 4, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #372 of 3,322
http://www.head-fi.org/a/group-buys
Recently a number of people have asked why we don't allow group buys or discussion of groups buys on other sites. While we understand that people wish to buy items as cheaply as possible, a number of very serious issues have come up with group buys that have made us expand the rule to include group buy sites.

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #375 of 3,322
  My bad, I accidentally forgot about that.

Stax deals of any kind are rather uncommon to the point where I try to make people aware while forgetting about the surrounding...politics involved.

No politics, except the BS made up by people who don't like the decision. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back