The Entry Level Stax Thread
Jun 28, 2017 at 1:23 AM Post #2,672 of 3,322
I just use an iFi iPower. It comes with a polarity inverter adaptor and many sized DC barrels for different electronics; also has different wall plugs for international use.

Aw man, I probably should've saved myself the trouble and just got that, although it would've cost me almost twice the price... hmm should I still get it?
Did you notice a difference in the noise, is that the only potential difference? (or was it the only transformer you had?)

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #2,673 of 3,322
Alright, I bought that same power supply you did. The reverse polarity converter was actually the first one I found via a Google search, and I bought it too. If it all doesn't arrive in time, I'll use the other Jameco power supply in the meantime.

I just use an iFi iPower. It comes with a polarity inverter adaptor and many sized DC barrels for different electronics; also has different wall plugs for international use.

I used to have one of those. But I'm just getting the cheapest stuff that can work right now.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #2,674 of 3,322
Aw man, I probably should've saved myself the trouble and just got that, although it would've cost me almost twice the price... hmm should I still get it?
Did you notice a difference in the noise, is that the only potential difference? (or was it the only transformer you had?)
It doesn't have the humming noise if that's what you're asking; it sounds pretty clean relative to the wall adaptors or step-down transformers I've used too.

I'd say it's worth the price difference just because it: 1) works and nothing has died yet in the 1.5 years I've been using it, 2) it has a much thicker gauge wire compared to a standard wall adaptor, which typically use pretty flimsy-feeling stuff, 3) it has all of those adaptors, and 4) it has the audiophile marketing stuff going for it.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #2,675 of 3,322
hmm, those are some compelling points, the wire is quite flimsy. But since I just got mine and am not experiencing any sound issues I'll stick with it for now.

Btw, is it normal for regulated supplies to run very warm? I remember my old non-regulated one running warm, but the regulated seems warmer. Using a digital laser thermometer it reads 39 Celsius/102.5 Fahrenheit (but not sure how accurate it is). Feels like a warm blanket after the dryer.

Edit: I guess it makes sense that it's warmer since has more circuitry than a non-reg.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 1:17 AM Post #2,676 of 3,322
@miceblue

Since you're into measurements, perhaps you'll have insights on this.

https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/StaxSRL300.pdf
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/StaxSR207SB2217.pdf
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/StaxSR404LtdSSL0670.pdf

In Tyll's measurements for the L300, the bass rolls off dramatically at 80 Hz, but in his measurements for many other Lambdas (such as the 207 and 404), there's no roll-off. I suspect that something weird was going on when he measured the L300, and that it exhibits the same behavior as the other Lambdas, without having this dramatic roll-off. (I'll have a better idea of things once mine arrives soon.)

Thoughts?

(Side note: That is a nice impulse response on the L300.)

Jun 29, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #2,677 of 3,322
@miceblue
In Tyll's measurements for the L300, the bass rolls off dramatically at 80 Hz, but in his measurements for many other Lambdas (such as the 207 and 404), there's no roll-off. I suspect that something weird was going on when he measured the L300, and that it exhibits the same behavior as the other Lambdas, without having this dramatic roll-off. (I'll have a better idea of things once mine arrives soon.)
Thoughts?

I'm not miceblue but, It's likely because the pads are no longer glued to the chassis, so there's no longer an air-tight seal -> loss of sub bass.
But the L300s sound warmer to my ears with slightly more bass (maybe because of the small hump at 100hz). But you can always change pads and bring some sub-bass back (as I have).

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 1:29 AM Post #2,678 of 3,322
I'm not miceblue but, It's likely because the pads are no longer glued to the chassis, so there's no longer an air-tight seal -> loss of sub bass.
But the L300 sound warmer to my ears with slightly more bass (maybe because of the small hump at 100hz). But you can always change pads and bring some sub-bass back as I have

That makes sense. Does the sub-bass really sound that dramatically rolled-off?

Think you could do me a quick favor and test the sub-bass with the stock pads and this track? (Then compare with your preferred pads.)

Which pads do you use?

I'm not crazy about pad swaps. I wonder if there's a way to close off the areas air escapes without it. Maybe I'll just try boosting the sub-bass with EQ.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 1:34 AM Post #2,679 of 3,322
@miceblue

Thoughts?

But the L300s sound warmer to my ears with slightly more bass (maybe because of the small hump at 100hz). But you can always change pads and bring some sub-bass back as I have.
I'd actually agree with this. It looks like the L300 isn't getting a good seal on the dummy head or something amiss like that since that kind of drastic bass roll-off is what you'd see in a sub-$100 headphone, or headphones from the 80s. I've heard the L700 before and thought it was only okay. At $1300 or whatever, just okay isn't good enough for me. It seemed a lot warmer than the last generation of Lambda headphones.

Lastly, the SR-L700 was surprising for me to hear. In one of Jude's videos, he mentioned that it approaches the sound quality of the SR-009. While I would say that's true, it still doesn't match the performance of the SR-009. Compared to the SR-009 or even the SR-207, the treble seemed a bit grainy-sounding to me, which is odd to hear from an electrostat and I thought it sounded more like a dynamic driver headphone in this regard. The lower-midrange and bass were richer and had more presence to what I'm used to hearing in the SR-207 though, so that's a welcome change since I tend to give the SR-207 a slight bass boost EQ. Similar but not quite up to par with the SR-009, the sense of the soundstage and instrument separation were greater than the SR-207.

Jun 29, 2017 at 1:55 AM Post #2,680 of 3,322
The SR-Λ sounds incredible driven from my recently-acquired 40 watt vintage receiver. <3

I'd actually agree with this. It looks like the L300 isn't getting a good seal on the dummy head or something amiss like that since that kind of drastic bass roll-off is what you'd see in a sub-$100 headphone, or headphones from the 80s. I've heard the L700 before and thought it was only okay. At $1300 or whatever, just okay isn't good enough for me. It seemed a lot warmer than the last generation of Lambda headphones.

In the past you described the L700 as having technical performance closer to the 009 than other Lambdas. (Most seem to say the same.) Have you changed your mind about it at all? The other thing I remember is that you said the treble was grainy in a way that other Lambdas aren't.

Know what's funny? As I'm typing this, I just happen to be playing "The Shadow"; the main theme from Hand Shakers!

Jun 29, 2017 at 1:59 AM Post #2,681 of 3,322
That makes sense. Does the sub-bass really sound that dramatically rolled-off?
Think you could do me a quick favor and test the sub-bass with the stock pads and this track? (Then compare with your preferred pads.)
Which pads do you use?
I'm not crazy about pad swaps. I wonder if there's a way to close off the areas air escapes without it. Maybe I'll just try boosting the sub-bass with EQ.

no, they don't sound as dramatically rolled off as the measurements would suggest with the stock pad (all new lambdas have this roll-off because their pads all attach the same way now, and I don't think I've heard anyone complaining about the sub-bass if they knew what to expect from an estat).
sorry I don't want to take off my current pads because I like getting their placement just right and I used scotch tape (I know, ghetto).
Using non-angled Brainwavz because I had some lying around, with a small straw port mod. now it seems to roll off gently after 50hz but the quantity increased tremendously, (I never understood what people meant by "linear bass", like would 25hz sound just as loud as 100hz? since we'll hear bass roll off even if linear bass (flat FR) is being played due to equal loudness contours: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour#/media/File:Lindos1.svg)

I'd say with these new pads, it's on par with my AEONs and more than the hd650 in bass quantity (well quality as well), just with the special almost impact-less estat character. I wonder if this is close to what people were raving about with the Taket H2+'s bass. Because the bass on these are the some of the most impressive immersive/surrounding I've heard. I wish I had a proper measuring system.

oh and the pads tone down the highs a bit, maybe from the increased distance (which I like).

Edit: listening again to the L300, I think it was wrong to say that it doesn't have impact in the lower frequencies. In fact, now comparing to the AEONs, I'd say it has just as much impact of not more. You really feel the vibration in your head. I feel like I remembered it wrong before because of how etherial the mids and the highs are.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 2:17 AM Post #2,682 of 3,322
The SR-Λ sounds incredible driven from my recently-acquired 40 watt vintage receiver. <3

In the past you described the L700 as having technical performance closer to the 009 than other Lambdas. (Most seem to say the same.) Have you changed your mind about it at all? The other thing I remember is that you said the treble was grainy in a way that other Lambdas aren't.

Know what's funny? As I'm typing this, I just happen to be playing "The Shadow"; the main theme from Hand Shakers!
I haven't heard the L700 since the last time so my opinion is the same for now.

Nice!

Jun 29, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #2,683 of 3,322
no, they don't sound as dramatically rolled off as the measurements would suggest with the stock pad (all new lambdas have this roll-off because their pads all attach the same way now, and I don't think I've heard anyone complaining about the sub-bass if they knew what to expect from an estat).
sorry I don't want to take off my current pads because I like getting their placement just right and I used scotch tape (I know, ghetto).
Using non-angled Brainwavz because I had some lying around, with a small straw port mod. now it seems to roll off gently after 50hz but the quantity increased tremendously, (I never understood what people meant by "linear bass", like would 25hz sound just as loud as 100hz? since we'll hear bass roll off even if linear bass (flat FR) is being played due to equal loudness contours: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour#/media/File:Lindos1.svg)

Id say with these new pads, it's on par with my AEONs and more than the hd650 in bass quantity (well quality as well), just with the special almost impact-less estat character. I wonder if this is close to what people were raving about with the Taket H2+'s bass. Because the bass on these are the some of the most impressive I've heard. I wish I had a proper measuring system.
umm, old pic I had if you wanted to see the pads:

Looks like my best bet is to just go with EQ since I want as much accuracy as possible, and that includes full extension. Hopefully the 252S will be able to handle the boost without distortion. Since I don't have a measuring rig either, I'll have to play it by ear and boost it to whatever sounds good to me instead of necessarily having everything at the most accurate levels.

I recently had a pair of Brainwavz sheepskin leather pads. Quite nice, but only works well with some headphones.

The TAKET-H2+ is said to have powerful bass impact, so in that sense it would be more like the opposite. (But I know your point was about the general impressiveness of the bass.)

I haven't heard the L700 since the last time so my opinion is the same for now.

Nice!

It's just that on the one hand you say it's closer to 009-level performance and on the other you describe it as only okay. Does that mean you think the 207 is still better than the L700 overall? If it's just the tonal balance that is the issue, that can be fixed with EQ.

Jun 29, 2017 at 2:51 AM Post #2,684 of 3,322
If you want accuracy/neutrality the AEONs are pretty much the most neutral I've ever heard and they seem to be the closest to matching the Harman Target curve of any headphone so far. but ya EQ'll work.
Are you still leaving headphones for speakers? (saw you post that somewhere)

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 2:58 AM Post #2,685 of 3,322
If you want accuracy/neutrality the AEONs are pretty much the most neutral I've ever heard and they seem to be the closest to matching the Harman Target curve of any headphone so far. but ya EQ'll work.
Are you still leaving headphones for speakers? (saw you post that somewhere)

Wow, that does look very neutral. Just went to InnerFidelity to take a look at the measurements. They are similar to the SR-207, which is my neutral reference. However, both of those headphones more closely follow the diffuse field curve than the Harman curve. (The latter is warmer and darker.)

But tonal balance is only one aspect of accuracy. Each technology (dynamic, planar magnetic, electrostatic, piezoelectric, etc.) has strengths and weaknesses. As do many in this thread, I favor electrostats overall, but wouldn't want to exclusively use them with nothing else at my disposal.

I said, at one time, that I have moved on to speakers, and did use speakers alone for awhile. Now I am using both headphones and speakers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back