The Entry Level Stax Thread
Aug 20, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #166 of 3,322
Do you guys actually listen to gear, or do you just sit at your computer hitting F5 every 5-seconds on 30 different eBay auctions? XD
It seems like a lot of the STAX people just do the latter.
rolleyes.gif

Aug 20, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #167 of 3,322
It seems like a lot of the STAX people just do the latter.
rolleyes.gif

When you don't have any gear, you tend to focus on getting new gear a whole lot. Considering I've been stuck in New Orleans for the past week and a half with nothing to do, with an incomplete music collection and a CAL!, I think I should be excused from judgement.
tongue.gif

Aug 20, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #168 of 3,322
Certainly not. I have hired monkeys at multiple computers to refresh ebay, head-fi along with another head-fi-ish site.

Aug 20, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #171 of 3,322
MacBook Pro running Audirvana Plus (Integer mode 1, Direct Mode, Exclusive access mode, Extreme SysOptimizer, no upsampling) -> Monoprice USB cable -> ODAC -> 3.5 mm to RCA cable -> SRM-252S (using Kashimura TI-101 130 V - 100 V step-down transformer) -> SR-207
MacBook Pro running Audirvana Plus (Integer mode 1, Direct Mode, Exclusive access mode, Extreme SysOptimizer, no upsampling) -> Monoprice USB cable -> ODAC -> same RCA to 3.5 mm cable -> [garbage/crap/schitty/bad/malevolent] O2 (AC powered) -> K 701

Comparing the SRS-2170 to the K 701 is like apples to oranges to me. Switching from one to the other sounds pretty different.

•    The K 701 + O2 seems lacking in the bass department compared to the SRM-2170. It lacks the chest-thumping, rumbling bass and impact. The SRS-2170's bass is also well-defined and well-textured; the K 701 + O2 sounds lacking in clarity.
    •    The K 701 + O2's midrange sounds a little more up-front and direct to me whereas that of the SRS-2170 sounds duller and laid-back, thus being less sibilant and fatiguing. Maybe it's best to say the mids of the SRS-2170 sound kind of stuffy/nasally to me; it just doesn't sound natural/right to me next to the more accurate-sounding K 701.
    •    The K 701 + O2's treble seems grainy and rough next to that of the SRS-2170 and has more sparkle too. The SRS-2170's treble response reminds me of that of the HD650: perfect for rock music.
    •    The SRS-2170's soundstage seems much more accurate to me with a more natural, three-dimensional soundstage as opposed to the K 701 + O2's wide and shallow soundstage. I get more of a "speakers pointed at my head" experience with the SRS-2170 than I do with the K 701 + O2's "speakers pointed directly at my ears" experience.
    •    Relating to, but not necessarily correlated to the soundstage, the SRS-2170's instrument definition and clarity are much better than that of the K 701 + O2. I would say the K 701 + O2 is a good voice monitor since vocals seem to be more up-front and other instruments are in the background kind of blurred together. The SRS-2170 overall sound seems more evenly presented, but still keeps all instruments well-defined.

For me, K 701 + O2 for vocal-based music or midrange-monitoring, SRS-2170 for everything else. Hence why I'm still keeping my trusty K 701 around. :D

Tracks used were mainly from HD Tracks (including some awesome binaural albums), a few CD-ripped albums here and there, and some digital downloads from Bandcamp (FLAC or 320 kbps MP3).

I don't want your dam lemons Objective 2s! What am I supposed to do with these?? >:-D

*overall composition sounds better on the SRS-2170, but the vocal samples sound better with the K 701*

Aug 20, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #173 of 3,322
Quote:
MacBook Pro running Audirvana Plus (Integer mode 1, Direct Mode, Exclusive access mode, Extreme SysOptimizer, no upsampling) -> Monoprice USB cable -> ODAC -> 3.5 mm to RCA cable -> SRM-252S (using Kashimura TI-101 130 V - 100 V step-down transformer) -> SR-207
MacBook Pro running Audirvana Plus (Integer mode 1, Direct Mode, Exclusive access mode, Extreme SysOptimizer, no upsampling) -> Monoprice USB cable -> ODAC -> same RCA to 3.5 mm cable -> [garbage/crap/schitty/bad/malevolent] O2 (AC powered) -> K 701

Comparing the SRS-2170 to the K 701 is like apples to oranges to me. Switching from one to the other sounds pretty different.

I never liked the K701s. They're toilet seat color for a reason... plus those bumps on the headband made me want to throw them against the wall.

Aug 20, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #174 of 3,322
Being stuck in many towns might be a valid excuse, but New Orleans? http://www.neworleansonline.com/neworleans/music/  

Quote:

When you don't have any gear, you tend to focus on getting new gear a whole lot. Considering I've been stuck in New Orleans for the past week and a half with nothing to do, with an incomplete music collection and a CAL!, I think I should be excused from judgement.
tongue.gif

Aug 20, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #175 of 3,322
I was at a really neat coffee shop during open mic all night last night. I've been getting my fill of music here, don't worry about that.
smile.gif

The problem is that as of today, I'm stuck in a house in the middle of nowhere, at the mercy of public transportation. I don't have access to a car until I leave here.

There is only so much "Attack On Titan" you can watch before you run out of aired episodes.

Aug 20, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #178 of 3,322
The characters in that show are derp stupid and lack common sense...the action and titan theory are good though. XD

I know! The characters could be arguing over who gets to eat a grilled cheese sandwich and they could find a way to fit in ten minutes of flashbacks, a gallon of tears, and several buckets of melodrama into the decision.

Aug 20, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #179 of 3,322
$500 for a brand new ESP950 package on the Aussie ebay domain. If anyone want's it I can buy it for them ship to USA is $60. $560 for a brand new ESP950 package is imo still good.

Aug 20, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #180 of 3,322
Cannot afford :'-(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back