The Entry Level Stax Thread
Aug 20, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #181 of 3,322
Quote:
I've been watching that since a few minutes after it was listed. I'm definitely going to do all I can to get that unit (I already have a spare pair of filters to replace the beat-up versions).

As for deals, I know how you feel all the way. I got a really great condition SRM-1/MK2 in the For Sale forum for $450, and not a day later, someone puts one up for sale in better-than-new condition (modded caps) for $350.

I figured you'd be onto it already. Best of luck to you!

...SRM-1/Mk2 recapped for $350? Argh! Could've went for that instead and saved a bit...though if it's just a Mk2 without a Pro bias port, that would have killed a lot of the appeal, even if people have managed to mod Pro bias supplies into them. I figure that any significant amount of money spent on a Stax amp these days should have both Normal and Pro bias outputs, for complete compatibility's sake.

Whatever the case, I hope the performance of that SRM-T1 justifies the expense over the SRD-7/SB + TX-SV515PRO combo I've been using up to this point.

Quote:
Do you guys actually listen to gear, or do you just sit at your computer hitting F5 every 5-seconds on 30 different eBay auctions? XD
It seems like a lot of the STAX people just do the latter.
rolleyes.gif

My SR-Lambda sees constant use as the only audio transducer attached to my computer. No speakers, and the rest of my headphones and IEMs suck by comparison. Otherwise, it would have been sold a long time ago.

Generally speaking, I only buy something if I think I'll use it. If I don't wind up using it (or just wanted to form review impressions), I'll turn around and resell it. So far, I've actually been hesitant to buy more Stax equipment because I don't like the fit and sound signature of the newer numerical Lambdas I've tried, and the Omegas are well beyond my means...but my curiosity won't shut up about whether or not amps like the SRM-T1 are worth their price, or how Mad Lust Envy would compare the original SR-Lambda to the SR-407 and everything else he's reviewed already.

Aug 20, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #184 of 3,322
Just curious DefQon, if you like the ESP950's so much why don't you buy them for yourself?

Good question. Short answer is I no longer have everything in my profile except my LCD2's only because I'm modding them. In other words I'm done with headphones for now. But I like to hang around to help others and chill here.

Aug 20, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #188 of 3,322
I have an old pair of IE7 that I need to fix and I have a lot of then well regarded earphones, don't need anything fancy for the go, I prefer convenience over portable bricks for that matter.

I have the freedom to blast speakers on whenever I like at home. If people start bitching I tell them to grow a pair. I've always been a speaker person anyway. Headphones was just side quest that I wanted to explore and iem/ciem's is a long gone quest that I will never revisit.

Aug 20, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #190 of 3,322
As the third Stax thread seems to deal with purity of the Stax faith, and wether or not you're allowed to talk about one or another matter, I post my newbie questions there.

Which Lambda should I choose to taste its sound at lowest price ? Used ? New ? SR-207 alone (possible ?) ? SR-307 on pricejapan ? Original vintage Lambda ? Normal bias ?

Ali

Aug 20, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #191 of 3,322
Must say I do understand why the Stax thread is governed. It is a very important source of knowledge, and irreplaceable. It is hard enough to browse without OT talk (!)

Aug 20, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #192 of 3,322
As the third Stax thread seems to deal with purity of the Stax faith, and wether or not you're allowed to talk about one or another matter, I post my newbie questions there.

Which Lambda should I choose to taste its sound at lowest price ? Used ? New ? SR-207 alone (possible ?) ? SR-307 on pricejapan ? Original vintage Lambda ? Normal bias ?

Ali

Yes you are allowed to ask Newbie Stax questions without being flogged! :D

I have a pair of SR-207 in my SRS-2170 system.
I prefer it over my DT880 and Q701.
It's a great system for the $$$!

Aug 20, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #194 of 3,322
What exactly do elecrets lack that electrostats have? I'm soon to find out anyway, but I want to know what to expect when I first fire up my gear when I get home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back