The End-Game Solid State Amplifier Master List
Apr 3, 2024 at 3:49 AM Post #166 of 184
Apr 14, 2024 at 4:12 AM Post #167 of 184
Apr 14, 2024 at 4:30 AM Post #168 of 184
Is anyone dipping their toes with this one?

Also led to believe you can choose the finish / colour, I'm another who isn't particularly keen on the gold / black.
I've noticed Alex from RAAL mentioning it. So I copied it over here. Don't know but will it drive Ribbons directly/as well?

Apr 14, 2024 at 4:46 AM Post #169 of 184
I've noticed Alex from RAAL mentioning it. So I copied it over here. Don't know but will it drive Ribbons directly/as well?
Yes, they were paired together at SG CJ, it also drove Storm very well from what I've been told.

Apr 14, 2024 at 5:01 AM Post #170 of 184
Interesting discussion. I would add the Tom Christiansen HPA-1. If you read the design brief Tom lays out, it becomes clear that it cannot really be meaningfully better, unless you require insane amounts of power or additional input/outputs. Its the most transparent amp I have heard and very reveling of upstream changes. I use it with tube and SS sources. I get there are more expensive and more affordable amps. Value is different than price. Given the price, I feel the HAP-1 is a great value.

https://www.tomchr.com/products/hpa-1
I just got this amp second-hand and would absolutely recommend it for those searching for a totally transparent amp with excellent technicalities. I was a little concerned it would be dry/sterile/THX sounding amp (not least because it's approved by ASR) but it's actually quite "musical" with marvellous dynamics, clarity, and staging. Definitely overlooked and worth a look. Don't know about Susvara, but it drives Rognir planar with ease with ample headroom.

Apr 18, 2024 at 5:10 AM Post #171 of 184
Apr 18, 2024 at 9:21 AM Post #172 of 184
Armageddon was just delivered, can't wait to get back to the HQ later today (RAAL Magna also is there)> Yay!
Following! What have you got for A/B amp wise?

Apr 18, 2024 at 9:45 AM Post #174 of 184
Basically everything I ever reviewed, and more.
Any special requests?
Ooh, 394ii, US5 etc, that ballpark of SS amps. Curve ball being Envy.

Ill be swapping out 394ii for Armageddon, driving Storm and plan to get Immanis. (Susvara will tide me over until then)

Apr 19, 2024 at 3:44 AM Post #175 of 184
Armageddon was just delivered, can't wait to get back to the HQ later today (RAAL Magna also is there)> Yay!

WhatsApp Image 2024-04-19 at 09.41.15_66141abd.jpg

Just fired it up with the Magni. So far I only tried the DCA E3 (good) and the Austrian Composer (not good)

Apr 21, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #176 of 184
Ultrainferno & Armageddon = Revelation

Would be interesting how Armageddon compares to that new "Immanis/Magna Interface"...
Hope you have one to compare 1995s on both...

Apr 21, 2024 at 9:45 PM Post #178 of 184
The special version of CFA3 I built, with high-end JFETs in the input stage and 2 GRLV capable of delivering 30W per channel with microvolt-level noise…is end game. It’s also 2 X 2U rack-mount boxes and 30 pounds, so it’s not without demands.

The other funny thing is: You get used to anything, no matter how good the quality.
And now I take it for granted that it sounds as good as it does.

Apr 22, 2024 at 4:02 AM Post #179 of 184
Ultrainferno & Armageddon = Revelation

Would be interesting how Armageddon compares to that new "Immanis/Magna Interface"...
Hope you have one to compare 1995s on both...

Not sure what you mean. The interface needs to be used with the Armageddon amp as well (+ compensation barrels), so there isn't really a "how Armageddon compares", as the interface always is needed.

Atm I have 1 TI-1b interface (of the SR-1b) and one new interface of the Magna. I don't think Alex will send another interface with the Immanis
I suppose you hope there will be 2 new interfaces, so it's easier A/B-ing both headphones on the Armageddon? I don't think that will work, unless you use one of the attenuated outputs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back