The earphone game just got a lot more SIRIUS. The new five driver hybrid flagship from Fidue
Jun 16, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #151 of 631
@Podster

The higher we go the more the law of diminishing returns is kicking in. The SE846 is not 3.5 times better than the SE425, the UERM is not X times (depending whether you take the MSRP or the sales prices) better than the Triple.Fi 10, and the A91 is not 2.x times better than the Sirius. It's a totally personal and subjective decision whether it's a justifiable purchase or not.

What's for sure though is that the A91 is siriusly good and appears like a more mature version of the A83/q-Music QE80 (A83 OEM by UPQ) with larger soundstage, better imaging, more authenticity, more tightness, more realistic timbre (-> pianos and trumpets), higher speed and higher detail retrieval.
All I just wish is that it had a longer nozzle (my ears are not only large but also quite deep).

Jun 16, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #152 of 631
  @Podster

The higher we go the more the law of diminishing returns is kicking in. The SE846 is not 3.5 times better than the SE425, the UERM is not X times (depending whether you take the MSRP or the sales prices) better than the Triple.Fi 10, and the A91 is not 2.x times better than the Sirius. It's a totally personal and subjective decision whether it's a justifiable purchase or not.

What's for sure though is that the A91 is siriusly good and appears like a more mature version of the A83/q-Music QE80 (A83 OEM by UPQ) with larger soundstage, better imaging, more authenticity, more tightness, more realistic timbre (-> pianos and trumpets), higher speed and higher detail retrieval.
All I just wish is that it had a longer nozzle (my ears are not only large but also quite deep).

Exactly, but once I settled on FLC8S grey silicone tips (I'm using the largest size) - it fits like a glove now and very comfortable during extended listening.  These eartips use a long stem, so you get another mm or more of spacing.

Jun 16, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #153 of 631

Exactly, but once I settled on FLC8S grey silicone tips (I'm using the largest size) - it fits like a glove now and very comfortable during extended listening.  These eartips use a long stem, so you get another mm or more of spacing.

I hear you guys and it's true most are what one can afford or deems reasonable. For the asking price and any iem/ciem over a grand better be seriously good as far as I'm concerned. Diminishing returns to me is as subjective as ones take on everything we listen to and perceive
wink_face.gif

beerchug.gif

Jun 16, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #154 of 631
It comes down to wanting whatever you consider the best. If you want the best you have to pay for it.

The Andromeda, the SIRIUS, the Noble K10 and so on, they are the best in many people's eyes. For others the ER4 is still the best. It's a matter of preference and source.

One thing is for sure, the SIRIUS fits into the conversation for best in-ear monitor on the planet.

Would I ever spend a thousand dollars on a earphone I never tried out? For me, the answer is probably not. BUT, having used them and seeing the amount of quality that goes into every aspect of the SIRIUS, it's definitely worthy of its asking price.

A lot of these cheaper and budget hybrids are almost as good as the Sirius. The key word is ALMOST. The extra you spend is for the extra attention to things like materials and tuning that are exclusive to flagship earphones.

Jun 16, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #155 of 631
It comes down to wanting whatever you consider the best. If you want the best you have to pay for it.

The Andromeda, the SIRIUS, the Noble K10 and so on, they are the best in many people's eyes. For others the ER4 is still the best. It's a matter of preference and source.

One thing is for sure, the SIRIUS fits into the conversation for best in-ear monitor on the planet.

Would I ever spend a thousand dollars on a earphone I never tried out? For me, the answer is probably not. BUT, having used them and seeing the amount of quality that goes into every aspect of the SIRIUS, it's definitely worthy of its asking price.

A lot of these cheaper and budget hybrids are almost as good as the Sirius. The key word is ALMOST. The extra you spend is for the extra attention to things like materials and tuning that are exclusive to flagship earphones.

True but that best must fall under your budget and what you are willing to extend that budget to
wink_face.gif

I've only seen them in film, adds and photo's now but can also see the build quality but you are correct if I had them in hand/ear I'm sure it would be like tour and loaner items I've reviewed/tested first hand and there goes the wallet
eek.gif

When you get to these TOTL levels those decisions get tougher and tougher
redface.gif

Another extra is service and support after that purchase and I often wonder how failures with any of these Chinese hybrids will be handled as opposed to dealing with a Noble or Trinity and countless other large and well established manufacturers?

beerchug.gif

Jun 17, 2016 at 3:41 AM Post #156 of 631

True but that best must fall under your budget and what you are willing to extend that budget to
wink_face.gif

I've only seen them in film, adds and photo's now but can also see the build quality but you are correct if I had them in hand/ear I'm sure it would be like tour and loaner items I've reviewed/tested first hand and there goes the wallet
eek.gif

When you get to these TOTL levels those decisions get tougher and tougher
redface.gif

Another extra is service and support after that purchase and I often wonder how failures with any of these Chinese hybrids will be handled as opposed to dealing with a Noble or Trinity and countless other large and well established manufacturers?

beerchug.gif

I cannot speak for the support provided in other countries but here in the UK FIDUE have a dedicated distributor who looks after all warranty issues regarding the FIDUE range.

Any purchases of FIDUE products from ourselves at Hifiheadphones come with a full warranty plus lifetime telephone/email support and this is fully backed up by our distributor.

Jun 17, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #159 of 631
Considering most of us have only had the Sirius for a little over a week - I'm actually pretty pleased that there haven't been too many reviews so far.  It means that people are testing them properly. One thing that grates me is a reviewer getting an item and then posting a review within 2-3 days of receiving it. I mean seriously - how can you evaluate something properly if you don't take some time with it .....

Jun 17, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #161 of 631

Well, I think most or all of the reviewers got samples (and my understanding is that it was only a few at that). I think a couple of things will hold this product back no matter how good the reviews are (and I do trust the opinions of most of the members with this ierm):

1. There needs to be reviews from members who actually bought the iems with their hard earned cash (or heard the earphone at some meet n greet).

2. Although Fidue has had some good to great reviews for its previous products (I've bought the A83 twice from them, and their dual dynamic earphone), I think the company jumped too soon in pricing the A91 as high as they did. To be honest, there are quite a few earphones (and some headphones) that compete easily with several TOTL competitors, but at half of the TOTL prices or less. And many TOTL prices have dropped significantly. We are living in days when many Head-fiers want TOTL performance, but they also want bang for the buck too. It seems like Fidue jumped out of the bang for the buck market with the pricing for the A91.

So, until Fidue get more people (who aren't chosen selective reviewers) to hear the product, and price their TOTL product more competitively, I think it will remain kind of stagnant for awhile. I am sure this is not the intention of the reviewers (as stated, I respect most of their opinions and reviews), but many of the statements regarding this product seem more like attempts to push the sale of it than really getting into why this earphone sounds better or what makes this configuration of drivers better than others before it. Also, there are quite a few DD + 4BA earphones out now that are getting rave reviews, yet the products sell for half the price or better. So what is it about the A91 sounds that commands double or triple the price of its competitors? There must be a better answer than diminishing returns, or people simply get what they pay for. Just my thoughts as I've been following the thread from day 1. Happy listening. 

Jun 17, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #162 of 631
  Considering most of us have only had the Sirius for a little over a week - I'm actually pretty pleased that there haven't been too many reviews so far.  It means that people are testing them properly. One thing that grates me is a reviewer getting an item and then posting a review within 2-3 days of receiving it. I mean seriously - how can you evaluate something properly if you don't take some time with it .....

Yeah this +10000  Nothing more comical than seeing a review go up the same day the product is received :p

Jun 17, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #164 of 631
I paid hard earned cash and will not be biased , only will tell it like how it is.my package will ship on tuesday from dhl:innocent:

Congrats:beers:

Jun 17, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #165 of 631
  Well, I think most or all of the reviewers got samples (and my understanding is that it was only a few at that). I think a couple of things will hold this product back no matter how good the reviews are (and I do trust the opinions of most of the members with this ierm):

I hope its OK - but I'd like to address a couple of these points with my own opinion

1. There needs to be reviews from members who actually bought the iems with their hard earned cash (or heard the earphone at some meet n greet).

While I can understand why you would want this, and I agree it does help to provide balance - I don't necessarily agree with it.  I can't see why an owner would give a less biased or more accurate review.  From what I understand (and I know you covered this in your opening statement), Fidue deliberately restricted this to only a handful of reviewers - at least two of them I absolutely trust to review objectively and with as little bias as possible.  If anything I would trust their reviews more than that of an owner who possibly could be under the influence of justification bias.

2. Although Fidue has had some good to great reviews for its previous products (I've bought the A83 twice from them, and their dual dynamic earphone), I think the company jumped too soon in pricing the A91 as high as they did. To be honest, there are quite a few earphones (and some headphones) that compete easily with several TOTL competitors, but at half of the TOTL prices or less. And many TOTL prices have dropped significantly. We are living in days when many Head-fiers want TOTL performance, but they also want bang for the buck too. It seems like Fidue jumped out of the bang for the buck market with the pricing for the A91.

Like you - I also purchased the A83 - and have had the chance to review it, the A73. A71 and A81. I have no issue with where they pitched the A91 to be quite honest.  I think you'd probably be the first to agree (looking at your inventory) that a TOTL IEM is a TOTL IEM, and if the material and performance justify the price, then we shouldn't have issues.  I look at my 64Audio Adel U6 at approx the same price, and you could arguably say that the Sirius has better build quality and sonically (to me anyway) plays in the same ballpark as far as performance goes. I also have a couple of other $800-900 review samples with me (straight dynamic drivers) and the Sirius (IMO anyway) sounds better, and has a better all round complete package.  I know (from brief discussion with Michael) that the A91 was almost two full years in the making - and that represents considerable investment.

So, until Fidue get more people (who aren't chosen selective reviewers) to hear the product, and price their TOTL product more competitively, I think it will remain kind of stagnant for awhile. I am sure this is not the intention of the reviewers (as stated, I respect most of their opinions and reviews), but many of the statements regarding this product seem more like attempts to push the sale of it than really getting into why this earphone sounds better or what makes this configuration of drivers better than others before it. Also, there are quite a few DD + 4BA earphones out now that are getting rave reviews, yet the products sell for half the price or better. So what is it about the A91 sounds that commands double or triple the price of its competitors? There must be a better answer than diminishing returns, or people simply get what they pay for. Just my thoughts as I've been following the thread from day 1. Happy listening. 

With due respect, the funny thing about this statement is that on one hand you're talking about hype from the one or two who have heard it (and I for one am definitely not pushing any type of sales pitch), and then comparing it to a couple of new  DD + 4BA earphones where everything I've read points to hype trains running amuck. Are you less critical of them because they are cheaper? Until I've seen someone directly compare them, the last thing I would be doing is suggesting Fidue is unjustified with their own placement or price point. Look at the Trinity Delta 2 at sub $200.  It's build quality and configurability as well as overall SQ indicate it as a massive bargain - and it is only a dual hybrid.  You could then compare that with some triple BAs which are far more expensive.  Does that detract from IEMs like the DN2000 or 2000J etc?  No - it just means the Delta 2 is a genuine bargain.

Again - no hype here from me.  This is a genuinely strong contender as a TOTL IEM (IMO), and after hearing them - if I didn't already own my q-Jays, U6 and Curve, I'd be thinking about buying a pair. My one critique at the moment would be fit/comfort (I think they could be slightly better) - but that is probably more personal, and I will cover it eventually in my review.

Again no slight intended - just (with all due respect) answering your points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back