The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
Oct 18, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #2,761 of 3,155
Today I happened to try my DX90 (firmware 2.2.0) with my PC as a USB DAC. It sounds different from when using the DX90 as a player itself
confused.gif
 To summarise, it sounds slightly less bassy, thus slightly more expansive soundstage and marginally better clarity; it sounds better to me. I guess it has to the with the firmware's sound signature. 

Oct 20, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #2,762 of 3,155

Today I happened to try my DX90 (firmware 2.2.0) with my PC as a USB DAC. It sounds different from when using the DX90 as a player itself 
confused.gif
 To summarise, it sounds slightly less bassy, thus slightly more expansive soundstage and marginally better clarity; it sounds better to me. I guess it has to the with the firmware's sound signature.

Me too actually. Slightly better instrument separation, soundstage, clarity etc when used as a USB DAC. No idea why. Anyone care to enlighten us?

Oct 21, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #2,763 of 3,155
Me too actually. Slightly better instrument separation, soundstage, clarity etc when used as a USB DAC. No idea why. Anyone care to enlighten us?

Possibly because in USB DAC mode you're connected to a constant 5v USB power supply rather than the unit relying on its internal battery. I've read a few posts regarding portable audio gear sounding slightly better when connected to mains power.

All just an assumption mind you in this case.

Oct 24, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #2,764 of 3,155
So with the DX90 now discontinued by iBasso, does this mean we can expect no further FW updates? Is the litebrite 2.3.0 the last word in the device's firmware? If so, that's a letdown. Didn't care for the trebly sound signature of 2.3, but still have minor gapless issues on 2.2.0 that I wouldn't mind improved, and would also like the ability to use the device as a DAC. A total abandonment of DX90 support would certainly make me think twice before committing to an iBasso product again. 

Oct 24, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #2,765 of 3,155
Interesting. I also find the 2.2.0 (lurker) is the most natural sounding firmware so far. Also didn't like the increased treble in 2.3.0, so if ibasso continues to develop new firmware I'd be glad if they try to maintain the natural sound of 2.2.0.

Oct 24, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #2,767 of 3,155

Why is 2.2 referred to as lurker?

It's not that 2.2 is referred to as lurker. There is a headfier here. I believe his name is lurker0? Hes basically made modified firmwares based on iBasso's firmwares. The level of modification has ranged from just changing the font all the way to creating a different sound from the DX90.

So when they say 2.2 lurker, they mean the modified 2.2 firmware by lurker.

Oct 25, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #2,769 of 3,155
It's not that 2.2 is referred to as lurker. There is a headfier here. I believe his name is lurker0? Hes basically made modified firmwares based on iBasso's firmwares. The level of modification has ranged from just changing the font all the way to creating a different sound from the DX90.

Thanks

Oct 25, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #2,770 of 3,155
Hello,

Long story short, I own a Fiio X3ii and I love its UI. It has a well thought out navigation and shortcuts. For example, one long press of a button from anywhere in the device takes the user back to the Now Playing screen, and pressing the Back button on the Now Playing screen takes the user back to the folder from which the track is being played. These 2 navigations and shortcuts are my favorite and I have become very much accustomed to it. 

That said, Fiio's scroll wheel is its weakest link, leading to possible malfunctions in a few months is what I have gathered (not all devices but there definitely is a risk). Because of the reliability issues in the Fiio player, I started looking for option outside Fiio and DX90 caught my eye. 2 major complaints I have heard about the DX90 are the battery life and the UI. Battery life is not a deal breaker for me and based on what I have read here, Rockbox really takes DX90 to another level with respect to UI. 

I do not have have the option to try the device nor am I able to find any video demos of the rockboxed DX90 nor any demo of the stock Mango OS. And so my only option is to ask about how it works with regards to my 2 favorite navigations:

1. Is it easy to get back to the Now Playing screen no matter where I am in the device?

2. Is there a back button in the Now Playing screen that would take me back to the folder from which the track is being played?

If the stock firmware offers these 2 shortcuts, I wouldn't want the rockbox even. One click would be the best, but I can manage with 2 or 3 clicks as long as it is easy and quick.

Thanks for your help. Please let me know if any part of my question needs clarification.

Oct 25, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #2,771 of 3,155
Hello,

Long story short, I own a Fiio X3ii and I love its UI. It has a well thought out navigation and shortcuts. For example, one long press of a button from anywhere in the device takes the user back to the Now Playing screen, and pressing the Back button on the Now Playing screen takes the user back to the folder from which the track is being played. These 2 navigations and shortcuts are my favorite and I have become very much accustomed to it. 

That said, Fiio's scroll wheel is its weakest link, leading to possible malfunctions in a few months is what I have gathered (not all devices but there definitely is a risk). Because of the reliability issues in the Fiio player, I started looking for option outside Fiio and DX90 caught my eye. 2 major complaints I have heard about the DX90 are the battery life and the UI. Battery life is not a deal breaker for me and based on what I have read here, Rockbox really takes DX90 to another level with respect to UI. 

I do not have have the option to try the device nor am I able to find any video demos of the rockboxed DX90 nor any demo of the stock Mango OS. And so my only option is to ask about how it works with regards to my 2 favorite navigations:

1. Is it easy to get back to the Now Playing screen no matter where I am in the device?

2. Is there a back button in the Now Playing screen that would take me back to the folder from which the track is being played?

If the stock firmware offers these 2 shortcuts, I wouldn't want the rockbox even. One click would be the best, but I can manage with 2 or 3 clicks as long as it is easy and quick.

Thanks for your help. Please let me know if any part of my question needs clarification.

1. Yes. DX90 has 'Home' icon on the screen which you can press from anywhere to get back to now playing screen

2: From NPS it has 'My Music' icon. After playing a song, If you press it you will go back to a folder of the song you are playing. However, if you select other music folder (suppose it named B folder), get back to NPS via Home icon and press My Music icon again you will back to B folder instead of the folder which the track is played.

Oct 25, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #2,772 of 3,155
1. Yes. DX90 has 'Home' icon on the screen which you can press from anywhere to get back to now playing screen

2: From NPS it has 'My Music' icon. After playing a song, If you press it you will go back to a folder of the song you are playing. However, if you select other music folder (suppose it named B folder), get back to NPS via Home icon and press My Music icon again you will back to B folder instead of the folder which the track is played.

Thank you very much explaining. That is exactly what I am looking for. I guess I will be getting the DX90.

Oct 26, 2015 at 4:12 AM Post #2,773 of 3,155

It's not true: Lurker did not "create a different sound": he only desactivated all unecesserary process in firmwares that iBasso left. It does have an influence on the sound but there is no will of "changing the sound". Lurker himself claims that 2.30 is a perfect firmware - based on technical view. iBasso never choose to "change" the sound for each firmware. They just try to make the most efficient firmware in a technical point of view and the changes have an impact on the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back