The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
Nov 23, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #2,779 of 3,155
New DX90 owner here! Well, really a second-time owner, but the first time was short-lived...

However, now I'm back in the iBasso game. Running Rockbox on it with an upgrade battery. Feeding into my RS1s, SM64s, and Trinity Deltas. Man this thing has details for days! I'm the second owner, so I'm sure my unit is plenty burned in, but, as I'm a believer in brain burn-in, I can't wait to see what the 25, 50, and 100-hour mark holds! 

Anybody in DX90 world rockin' RS1s with theirs too?

Nov 27, 2015 at 7:46 AM Post #2,780 of 3,155
New DX90 owner here! Well, really a second-time owner, but the first time was short-lived...

However, now I'm back in the iBasso game. Running Rockbox on it with an upgrade battery. Feeding into my RS1s, SM64s, and Trinity Deltas. Man this thing has details for days! I'm the second owner, so I'm sure my unit is plenty burned in, but, as I'm a believer in brain burn-in, I can't wait to see what the 25, 50, and 100-hour mark holds! 

Anybody in DX90 world rockin' RS1s with theirs too?
Just curious - what made you choose the DX90 again? I'm asking because the DX80 was released not long ago, and judging from the initial impressions it seems like an upgrade to the DX90.

Nov 27, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #2,781 of 3,155
Just curious - what made you choose the DX90 again? I'm asking because the DX80 was released not long ago, and judging from the initial impressions it seems like an upgrade to the DX90.

My decision was motivated mostly by cost. Secondarily, running rockbox on the former is a big plus compared to the latter.

Nov 27, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #2,782 of 3,155

DX90 and DX80 are different enough to (in sound) live side by side. Owning both the larger screen, updated UI and new form factor of DX80 is absolutely better, but for those who enjoy the sound of well implemented Sabre DACs DX90 has its own place in the line up.

At the moment I'm using three iBasso players with three different IEM's . I think Joe did the right thing as DX90 will soon be harder to find and whilst he plays with it DX80 will only become more mature firmware wise.

But honestly, DX80 is quite stable right now, at least in my experience and the way I'm using it. Directory browsing by folder etc.

Nov 28, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #2,783 of 3,155
My decision was motivated mostly by cost. Secondarily, running rockbox on the former is a big plus compared to the latter.

True, there are probably a resovoir of second-hand DX90s from owners who moved on to the DX80. I can see the cost as well as the availability of rockbox on the DX90 as good reasons to go with the 90 rather than the 80. Personally I felt the 80 wasn't really a huge upgrade to the 90 soundwise. Just my 2 cents :D

Nov 28, 2015 at 8:17 AM Post #2,784 of 3,155
DX90 and DX80 are different enough to (in sound) live side by side. Owning both the larger screen, updated UI and new form factor of DX80 is absolutely better, but for those who enjoy the sound of well implemented Sabre DACs DX90 has its own place in the line up.

At the moment I'm using three iBasso players with three different IEM's . I think Joe did the right thing as DX90 will soon be harder to find and whilst he plays with it DX80 will only become more mature firmware wise.

But honestly, DX80 is quite stable right now, at least in my experience and the way I'm using it. Directory browsing by folder etc.

I'm assuming you have a thing for bang-for-buck players :D I quit the iBasso game; sold my DX90 not to upgrade to the DX80, but the AK100ii btw.
I have had a brief experience with the 80 several times already, and I can say that the UI on the inital firmware is already a step up from that of the 90, both visually and usability. Didn't encounter any significant bugs except for that pixelised album art, which I assume has been fixed in the latest firmware.

Nov 28, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #2,785 of 3,155
I'm assuming you have a thing for bang-for-buck players
biggrin.gif
I quit the iBasso game; sold my DX90 not to upgrade to the DX80, but the AK100ii btw.
I have had a brief experience with the 80 several times already, and I can say that the UI on the inital firmware is already a step up from that of the 90, both visually and usability. Didn't encounter any significant bugs except for that pixelised album art, which I assume has been fixed in the latest firmware.

I think it is more of what delivers the sound, IMO. I prefer the sound of the Dx80 to the AK100II. There is a more natural energy in the DX80 with all of the dynamics and layering that should be there, regardless of price, though it seems that it is the more pricey daps that get there but this time, something costing much less is able to deliver more, IMO. 

Nov 29, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #2,786 of 3,155
Just came across a strange bug with my DX90. I was playing Nirvana - Never Mind album on FLAC. 

I wanted to go back a track but the same track kept starting at the beginning even after I pressed the back button twice, that was funny in itself because the guitar riff playing sounded like it was looping. After trying a few times the same track kept playing no matter what I did. Even when selecting other songs which the display showed as changing and starting with the time duration, yet the same Nirvanna track kept playing the whole time.

I thought it was hilarious! Little things that make you smile. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 4, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #2,788 of 3,155
Please tell us when you finished trying all different firmware

Dec 6, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #2,789 of 3,155
With apologies if this has already been asked and answered, I am wondering if the digital filter setting applies when using DX90 as PC-based USB DAC. After keeping it on sharp rolloff for a long time I set it to slow, and do note a bit more treble extension....but I never discount placebo! 
ksc75smile.gif

Dec 10, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #2,790 of 3,155
I just bought the dx90 and it's just amazing, it dominated the dx50, anyways, I see it has the same *low/mid/high* (gain) setting, I never understood*gain* in sound, all I notice is that it makes the sound louder, just like pressing volume +, can someone please explain me the *gain* setting and what the difference is versus volume management.

I love the dx90, also I see there are custom firmwares, where do I find the latest versions or what is considered the *preffered * version?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back