The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
Dec 11, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #2,791 of 3,155
I just bought the dx90 and it's just amazing, it dominated the dx50, anyways, I see it has the same *low/mid/high* (gain) setting, I never understood*gain* in sound, all I notice is that it makes the sound louder, just like pressing volume +, can someone please explain me the *gain* setting and what the difference is versus volume management.

I love the dx90, also I see there are custom firmwares, where do I find the latest versions or what is considered the *preffered * version?

The Gain amplify the signal from the source. If you have low impedance IEMS you can use Low gain. 

Firmware: I tried 2.2.0 stock and yesterday i installed 2.1.8L0 (Lurker). I prefer the 2.1.8L0 with my Shure Se846. Which firmware is the best? It depends on how you like music and your headphones. You should try the different firmwares and see which one you like the most
wink.gif
 You can find Lurker0 firmwares online, just search in google "iBasso DX90 Lurker"

Dec 11, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #2,792 of 3,155
The Gain amplify the signal from the source. If you have low impedance IEMS you can use Low gain. 

Firmware: I tried 2.2.0 stock and yesterday i installed 2.1.8L0 (Lurker). I prefer the 2.1.8L0 with my Shure Se846. Which firmware is the best? It depends on how you like music and your headphones. You should try the different firmwares and see which one you like the most:wink:  You can find Lurker0 firmwares online, just search in google "iBasso DX90 Lurker"

Thank you so much for your help, I have the se846 and I find the high gain to sound better, but I still have difficulty understanding if having high volume on low gain yo be better or worse then having high gain on lower volume, does it impact clarity in anyway?

I'll try the lurker softwares this evening, I'm exited to see if it's entirely different then the 2.3 firmware that the ibasso came with

Would a 60$ aftermarket cable from eBay or amazon work better than my stock shure se846 cables?
What is a decent cable, sub 75$ and does it have a sound difference?

I'm trying to get the best out of the dx90/se846 rig, I wonder what else I can do?

Dec 11, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #2,793 of 3,155
Thank you so much for your help, I have the se846 and I find the high gain to sound better, but I still have difficulty understanding if having high volume on low gain yo be better or worse then having high gain on lower volume, does it impact clarity in anyway?

I'll try the lurker softwares this evening, I'm exited to see if it's entirely different then the 2.3 firmware that the ibasso came with

Would a 60$ aftermarket cable from eBay or amazon work better than my stock shure se846 cables?
What is a decent cable, sub 75$ and does it have a sound difference?

I'm trying to get the best out of the dx90/se846 rig, I wonder what else I can do?

The Shure Se846 have a very low impedance so the best would be to use Low Gain and higher Volume to keep the noise low.

I just tried two firmwares, 2.2.0 stock and 2.1.8L0. I skipped the 2.3 as many reported it to be too bright and i'm sensitive to highs. I found 2.2.0 Stock to be clean, wide soundstage and very detailed but it didn't have enough impact and slam especially in the bass (but i still need to burn in my iBasso so i may try it again in a couple of months). At the moment i prefer the 2.1.8L0 with the Shure. 

A different cable can make a difference with the Shure as reported in the Shure Se846 thread. Many people use a silver cable, other people also removed the foam from the filters. The only thing i did was to change the tips, i'm using Westone silicone Star tips with the Se846 and they make a huge huge difference in clarity and separation compared to the stock Shure tips.
L3000.gif

Dec 11, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #2,794 of 3,155
typically the lower gain with higher volume will always give you the least noise but the response curve of an amp also changes slightly with different gains so it can add some 'flavor' to the sound that you might like as well so really its a ymmv situation.  i tend to leave it on the lowest gain and the highest volume but either way noise has never been audible from it for me so it probably doesn't really matter, whichever sounds best to you.

rockbox in my opinion is a step up from stock firmware if only because it allows you to customize more and even improve the code yourself if inclined.  for example i have modified the rockbox code to work slightly different with the features i wanted such as being able to short click on and off the display while still allowing the track and volume buttons to work similar to how an iPhone works.  saves some power in my bag with the display off and still being able to reach in to changes tracks and volume, etc.

Dec 11, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #2,795 of 3,155
The Shure Se846 have a very low impedance so the best would be to use Low Gain and higher Volume to keep the noise low.

I just tried two firmwares, 2.2.0 stock and 2.1.8L0. I skipped the 2.3 as many reported it to be too bright and i'm sensitive to highs. I found 2.2.0 Stock to be clean, wide soundstage and very detailed but it didn't have enough impact and slam especially in the bass (but i still need to burn in my iBasso so i may try it again in a couple of months). At the moment i prefer the 2.1.8L0 with the Shure. 

A different cable can make a difference with the Shure as reported in the Shure Se846 thread. Many people use a silver cable, other people also removed the foam from the filters. The only thing i did was to change the tips, i'm using Westone silicone Star tips with the Se846 and they make a huge huge difference in clarity and separation compared to the stock Shure tips.:L3000:  

Thank you guys so much for being so helpful, can you please recommend a silver cable I can buy on amazon and eBay that is 75$ or less please, I would appreciate it since you guys are more knowledgeable than I am and I trust your experience and trial, thank you so much, I'll use low gain with higher volume and will get through different firmwares.

Thank you so much, ease help with the cable, I love the dx90

Dec 12, 2015 at 7:14 AM Post #2,796 of 3,155
Thank you guys so much for being so helpful, can you please recommend a silver cable I can buy on amazon and eBay that is 75$ or less please, I would appreciate it since you guys are more knowledgeable than I am and I trust your experience and trial, thank you so much, I'll use low gain with higher volume and will get through different firmwares.

Thank you so much, ease help with the cable, I love the dx90

Hi, i use the stock cable with the shure so i cannot recommend a silver cable under 75 dollar. You may want to ask this in the Shure Se846 thread
wink.gif

Dec 12, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #2,797 of 3,155
Hey guys. Just wondering if there is a short cabled otg adaptor that is known to work with the DX90. I have the meenova which is great, I prefer it for file transfer from my computer, but I'm afraid to keep it in my pocket. I want something preferably with a right angle plug and a short cord so I can tape it to the back of the dx90.

Dec 15, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #2,799 of 3,155
Is rockbox better than the lurker custom firmware?

I think it comes down to own prefrence, personally I prefer lurker's fw. Rockbox provides more features, the UI is more complex but offers more selection such as choices for the looks(themeing), visible clock, implemented mini games and apprently, you can code rockbox with click functions etc with proper coding knowledge.

While on the other hand, Lurker's fw is easy, simple, and quick to use. You don't really have much to mess with but it all comes down nicely. Basically it's just like comparing android and apple. I'll say both is equally good with cos and cons, it would be better for you to try out both and find your pick.

| and fyi, I'm currently using Lurker's V2.1.5 (Sounds best to me, but that's just me)

Dec 20, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #2,800 of 3,155
I'm running 2.3.0 and some Flac files files this thing skips seconds and totally ruins the experience... It's unacceptable, I was fine with it until now... I'm starting to to not like the dx90, this is really bumming me as I only have 350 to spend... I wonder if I should get the dx80 and if it's really a success over this dx90 (all I care about is sound quality) ... What do u guys suggest, I'm really bummed... I just want a decent experience with the se846

Dec 20, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #2,801 of 3,155
I'm running 2.3.0 and some Flac files files this thing skips seconds and totally ruins the experience... It's unacceptable, I was fine with it until now... I'm starting to to not like the dx90, this is really bumming me as I only have 350 to spend... I wonder if I should get the dx80 and if it's really a success over this dx90 (all I care about is sound quality) ... What do u guys suggest, I'm really bummed... I just want a decent experience with the se846

If an earlier FW was better for you, just revert to that version. 

Dec 20, 2015 at 6:00 AM Post #2,802 of 3,155

fw 2.2.0 with the se846 is an excellent combination, with no problems at all. 

Dec 20, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #2,804 of 3,155
  DX80 thread has been awash with complaints lately. i glad i didnt sell my DX90 to get the DX80.

It does seem that way, but the DX80 is a great evolution and has completely replaced my DX90 daily use....no major problems here. 

Dec 20, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #2,805 of 3,155
My personal experience with DX80 is pretty smooth sailing, it does what I ask without any fault.

We need to understand I:

1) Use no any other files but 16/44 FLAC
2) Only browse by folder view
3) No repeat, no shuffle, no playlists. Just play in order

Many of the problems surfacing with DX80 are concerning areas I don't use or intent on doing so.

I still feel DX90 is a slightly more detailed with the right IEM, but it could come down to exactly that, the IEM being used.

When it comes to UI, the longer screen, better battery life and usability there's no doubt DX80 is an upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back