The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
May 30, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #1,142 of 3,155
Both from recovery menu and the settings menu.

I don't understand it. My songs play to the end, I even watch the seconds count down sometimes and listen and some songs end and they play all the way and then blend in silence, normally unless live recordings, to the next song. I use ALAC, Flac and WAV and some DSD. 

May 30, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #1,143 of 3,155
Got my DX90 a couple of days ago. Packaging ripped open by customs, they took out the battery and taped it into the cardboard box, which I threw out... After realizing the battery was missing I double checked, and there it was inbetween a double wall of cardboard with a massive amount of the brown packing tape. Nice. So much for the out of box experience. But all that aside, I upgraded from my 5th gen iMod with the iBasso D12 (Anaconda) to the DX50, which was only a slight step up, if any. So I took the plunge and got the DX90... Fabulous! Plugged in my SD card without issues (all ALAC). Usability is improved (much more responsive), and the sound is just earwatering. Compared to the DX50 it has more luscious deeps, a far better mid range and much smoother highs. Separation is also better. To my surprise it sounds warmer than the DX50, I expected the opposite (given the Wolfson vs Sabres). The DX90 definitely tames my Grado SRS325i (highs are less sharp), and brings out the best in my Westone 4R. Only gripe i have is that the soundstage is narrower than the DX50. Can't have it all, but I am really impressed with it. Bye bye iMod and DX50!

May 30, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #1,144 of 3,155
I don't understand it. My songs play to the end, I even watch the seconds count down sometimes and listen and some songs end and they play all the way and then blend in silence, normally unless live recordings, to the next song. I use ALAC, Flac and WAV and some DSD. 

I don't understand either. I only have ALAC files, ripped from CD or down-sampled hi-res files using XLD. I even tried both exfat and fat32 128 GB and 64 GB cards. Samsung or Sandisk didn't matter. It's exactly the same on both DX90/DX50. Only Rockbox on DX50 is able to handle my files correctly.

May 30, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #1,145 of 3,155

All my aac and flac (cd an hires) play to the end as well and gapless just works too

May 30, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #1,146 of 3,155
I encounter another "1 second pause/resume" issue today, after doing a factory reset and delete .audio data/library rescan. May try to reformat card to FAT32 if I have time. But more likely I may just wait for the next firmware release.

For the record, I did factory reset in FW2.0 before upgrading to FW2.0.5, and have done a few factory resets after firmware upgrades.

May 30, 2014 at 7:57 AM Post #1,147 of 3,155
  Got my DX90 a couple of days ago. Packaging ripped open by customs, they took out the battery and taped it into the cardboard box, which I threw out... After realizing the battery was missing I double checked, and there it was inbetween a double wall of cardboard with a massive amount of the brown packing tape. Nice. So much for the out of box experience. But all that aside, I upgraded from my 5th gen iMod with the iBasso D12 (Anaconda) to the DX50, which was only a slight step up, if any. So I took the plunge and got the DX90... Fabulous! Plugged in my SD card without issues (all ALAC). Usability is improved (much more responsive), and the sound is just earwatering. Compared to the DX50 it has more luscious deeps, a far better mid range and much smoother highs. Separation is also better. To my surprise it sounds warmer than the DX50, I expected the opposite (given the Wolfson vs Sabres). The DX90 definitely tames my Grado SRS325i (highs are less sharp), and brings out the best in my Westone 4R. Only gripe i have is that the soundstage is narrower than the DX50. Can't have it all, but I am really impressed with it. Bye bye iMod and DX50!

Wow, your customs sounds like bastards. They actually devalued your product.
But I'm glad everything remained intact. 

I was also quite surprised of the slightly warmer sound the DX90 produces. It's not warm in any way though, it's just not cold like the DX50's sound.
I'm not sure if it's the added opamps, or indeed the dual Sabre dacs, but my god, do my cIEMs suddenly sound good. 

My only gripe with this player is the sensitivity of the touch screen. The DX50 definitely seemed to do this a heck of a lot better.
Everytime I scroll through my artists it selects an artist...

May 30, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #1,149 of 3,155
  I encounter another "1 second pause/resume" issue today, after doing a factory reset and delete .audio data/library rescan. May try to reformat card to FAT32 if I have time. But more likely I may just wait for the next firmware release.

For the record, I did factory reset in FW2.0 before upgrading to FW2.0.5, and have done a few factory resets after firmware upgrades.

Did you get the pause on both FW's?

May 30, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #1,150 of 3,155
I really want to look into a DX90 but there are no retailers in my entire state that I'm aware of.  Before I gamble on an Amazon purchase I need to know if this thing plays nicely with two sets of IEMs:

(1) HiFiMan RE-400 Waterlines (I hear the DX50 pairs very poorly with them)
(2) JVC Victor HA-FTX90s  (The DX50 apparently suffers significant drop-offs in bass response at their 12-ohm rating)

As far as I'm concerned, if I can be reasonably well assured that the DX90 won't disappoint me with either pair of IEMs, I'm sold.  Thanks for your input, in advance.

May 30, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #1,151 of 3,155
  I really want to look into a DX90 but there are no retailers in my entire state that I'm aware of.  Before I gamble on an Amazon purchase I need to know if this thing plays nicely with two sets of IEMs:

(1) HiFiMan RE-400 Waterlines (I hear the DX50 pairs very poorly with them)
(2) JVC Victor HA-FTX90s  (The DX50 apparently suffers significant drop-offs in bass response at their 12-ohm rating)

As far as I'm concerned, if I can be reasonably well assured that the DX90 won't disappoint me with either pair of IEMs, I'm sold.  Thanks for your input, in advance.

I know someone that would completely disagree with that first statement.

Also, I'm not sure if the output impedance has changed at all, but there is absolutely no hiss with the DX90 and my cIEMs.

May 30, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #1,152 of 3,155
  I know someone that would completely disagree with that first statement.

Also, I'm not sure if the output impedance has changed at all, but there is absolutely no hiss with the DX90 and my cIEMs.

Interesting.  I've read one independent review online from a Russian source who said that the RE-400s do not gel with the DX90 and I've seen a couple of people allude to it here.  I wish I had a larger pool of information but I can't ferret out definitive answers to save my life.

I glanced at your brand online and it looks like they're all in the 25-35 ohm range.  Supposedly the DX50 starts bleeding dB in the lower end if your headphones are rated at or below 16 ohms.  The lower your IEMs' impedance rating, the more bass you lose.  The JVCs I want are 12-ohm IEMs so I'm really concerned about the DX90's performance in that arena.  If you happen to know how well the DAP drives IEMs rated for ≤ 16 ohms, I would love to hear it.  I'm willing to go out on a limb and assume that if the DAP doesn't roll off the low end with other 12-ohm IEMs then it probably won't with these.

If I can just get confirmation of this one detail I'm prepared to drop the cash on a DX90 and the HA-FTX90s.  It'll be my biggest audiophile investment since putting Focal Polyglass 165 v30s in my car, and I'm really anxious to do it—but I can't afford to take the plunge on blind faith.

May 30, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #1,153 of 3,155
The RE-600 work very fine with the DX90. Don't know about the others. 

May 30, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #1,154 of 3,155
  Interesting.  I've read one independent review online from a Russian source who said that the RE-400s do not gel with the DX90 and I've seen a couple of people allude to it here.  I wish I had a larger pool of information but I can't ferret out definitive answers to save my life.

I glanced at your brand online and it looks like they're all in the 25-35 ohm range.  Supposedly the DX50 starts bleeding dB in the lower end if your headphones are rated at or below 16 ohms.  The lower your IEMs' impedance rating, the more bass you lose.  The JVCs I want are 12-ohm IEMs so I'm really concerned about the DX90's performance in that arena.  If you happen to know how well the DAP drives IEMs rated for ≤ 16 ohms, I would love to hear it.  I'm willing to go out on a limb and assume that if the DAP doesn't roll off the low end with other 12-ohm IEMs then it probably won't with these.

If I can just get confirmation of this one detail I'm prepared to drop the cash on a DX90 and the HA-FTX90s.  It'll be my biggest audiophile investment since putting Focal Polyglass 165 v30s in my car, and I'm really anxious to do it—but I can't afford to take the plunge on blind faith.

Does the jvc have a wild impedance swing across the FR?

For instance the HE-400 and HE-600 will do just fine with higher impedance outputs.

May 30, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #1,155 of 3,155
  Does the jvc have a wild impedance swing across the FR?

For instance the HE-400 and HE-600 will do just fine with higher impedance outputs.

Please forgive my ignorance—I'm new to the audiophile world.  How can I tell whether they do or not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back