The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
May 31, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #1,171 of 3,155
I just setup VMWare Fusion so I can run my old WinXP vm and use the RKBatchtool instead to write FW to DX90. Just like I suspected, using the tool is a much cleaner way to install firmwares on DX90 (same goes with DX50 I believe). The nagging issue of 2 second cut I always get when listening on gapless albums is somewhat gone. Tried to play the same album several times and it's much smoother and transition is much better.

I even tried on v2.0.0 and I don't get the cut as well.

Jun 2, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #1,172 of 3,155
Hi guys,

I'm pretty new to the whole dap/amp thing and this will be my first purchase outside of iems when it comes to my Head Fi addiction :p I currently have a pair of Atomic Floyd Superdarts which I'm sure you know are very bass and high heavy (v shape) and I think this suits my taste a lot. I bought a pair of Fischer Amps FA 4E XB and they just seemed to be lacking bass to me so I'm returning those and I'm going to sort my source out first.

I mainly listen to electronic/dance music and I would consider myself to be on the basshead side of the audiophile profile. Anyways after getting the refund for my Fisher's, the DX90 and the X5 are withing my kind of budget and was wondering what you would recommend to be paired with my Superdarts? Bearing in mind I love bass :p

I have read that the X5 would be better for bass but I love the idea of the ibasso buttons, touch screen and removable battery. I also listen to some pop and am rather enjoying Bob Marley at the moment :p

Thanks

Jun 2, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #1,173 of 3,155
Hi guys,

I'm pretty new to the whole dap/amp thing and this will be my first purchase outside of iems when it comes to my Head Fi addiction :p I currently have a pair of Atomic Floyd Superdarts which I'm sure you know are very bass and high heavy (v shape) and I think this suits my taste a lot. I bought a pair of Fischer Amps FA 4E XB and they just seemed to be lacking bass to me so I'm returning those and I'm going to sort my source out first.

I mainly listen to electronic/dance music and I would consider myself to be on the basshead side of the audiophile profile. Anyways after getting the refund for my Fisher's, the DX90 and the X5 are withing my kind of budget and was wondering what you would recommend to be paired with my Superdarts? Bearing in mind I love bass :p

I have read that the X5 would be better for bass but I love the idea of the ibasso buttons, touch screen and removable battery. I also listen to some pop and am rather enjoying Bob Marley at the moment :p

Thanks

I have used both, I find the X5 to be better in the mids and highs and somewhat flatter in the bass, that would work great with a v type earphone, the DX90 is strong across, you might like it quite a bit because of its high detail level, for example I listen to electronic/dance music almost exclusively and love the cymbals to give this sheen sound when it crashes, the X5 is just amazing for that. The DX90 is just engrossing, it shines with synths, bass and drums. I can tell you that either of will make you enjoy your music to the nth degree, you'll have to decide which part you want to emphasize and the synergy with your phones. Try to get a 30 day money back guarantee authorized dealer when buying, give both a try and keep the one that makes you tick/happy.

Jun 2, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #1,174 of 3,155

If you want even more bass, get an equalizer.  

A different amp isnt going to make a significant difference in bass.  I dont want to argue whether or not those differences really exist - lets just put it this way:  whatever differences (if any) that exist are so small that they cannot be reflected in a typical frequency response curve.   So selling one amp and getting another to boost bass wont work (provided neither amp has an impedance mismatch and both amps have enough power to drive IEMs - which pretty much any external amp in the market should).

Jun 2, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #1,175 of 3,155

A different amp isnt going to make a significant difference in bass.  I dont want to argue whether or not those differences really exist - lets just put it this way:  whatever differences (if any) that exist are so small that they cannot be reflected in a typical frequency response curve.   So selling one amp and getting another to boost bass wont work (provided neither amp has an impedance mismatch and both amps have enough power to drive IEMs - which pretty much any external amp in the market should).

Who's talking amps ???
He's asking which dap out of the X5 and DX90 is likely to be the best match for his phones and music.

Jun 2, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #1,176 of 3,155
I have used both, I find the X5 to be better in the mids and highs and somewhat flatter in the bass, that would work great with a v type earphone, the DX90 is strong across, you might like it quite a bit because of its high detail level, for example I listen to electronic/dance music almost exclusively and love the cymbals to give this sheen sound when it crashes, the X5 is just amazing for that. The DX90 is just engrossing, it shines with synths, bass and drums. I can tell you that either of will make you enjoy your music to the nth degree, you'll have to decide which part you want to emphasize and the synergy with your phones. Try to get a 30 day money back guarantee authorized dealer when buying, give both a try and keep the one that makes you tick/happy.

So if i liked the bass line and bass drop the most about a song (particularly the sub bass) what would you recommend to really blow my socks off? Turther to this i listen to a few songs with acoustics and vocals so maybe the dx90 is a better choice if it is strong across the board?

I really can't decide between them :frowning2:

Jun 2, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #1,177 of 3,155
So if i liked the bass line and bass drop the most about a song (particularly the sub bass) what would you recommend to really blow my socks off? Turther to this i listen to a few songs with acoustics and vocals so maybe the dx90 is a better choice if it is strong across the board?

I really can't decide between them :frowning2:

That's a tough question to answer but if you really want some impact then the DX90 might be a better choice. If you like Dubstep, the DX90 is going to knock your socks off no doubt. I like the X5 as being a favorite for mids and highs (vocals in particular truly shine with it). I find the DX90 a jaw dropping player but the X5 to me closer to a well laid out player with an analytical flair. To be honest if you can try both, the better. The X5 takes about a week to mature while the DX90 sounds good off the bat.

Jun 2, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #1,178 of 3,155
That's a tough question to answer but if you really want some impact then the DX90 might be a better choice. If you like Dubstep, the DX90 is going to knock your sox off no doubt. I like the X5 as being a favorite for mids and highs (vocals in particular truly shine with it). I find the DX90 a jaw dropping player but the X5 to me closer to a well laid out player with an analytical flair. To be honest if you can try both, the better. The X5 takes about a week to mature while the DX90 sounds good off the bat.

Hmm this is interesting as i have read almost the opposite on other threads? :p from what i have read, the x5 has a bigger impact in the lows and can almost sound 'muffled' next to the dx90, which is said to be more of an analytical player?

The mixed reviews however kinda makes it an easier choice as either/or would be good for me. I guess as the ned of the day it might come down to usability/ergonomics? which i have to say would probably go to the dx90 - due to the removable battery, touch screen and removable battery. that being said, the x5 has a longer battery life..

Ahh decisions decisions!! they both have so much going for them!!

Jun 2, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #1,179 of 3,155

Who's talking amps ???
He's asking which dap out of the X5 and DX90 is likely to be the best match for his phones and music.

I've got to agree with vkalia, even though he got the question wrong a bit.
The dac/amp whatever, should always give a near neutral signal. And no DAP in default settings should give you 'more' bass than another DAP.
The bass might sound slightly different, but if you (smithamb) want more bass, you simply need to put a couple of extra decibels in the bass bands of the EQ.
Not saying that the X5 overal sound characteristics are not more suitable for bass music though. 

Jun 2, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #1,180 of 3,155

Quote:
Who's talking amps ???

The same point holds for the DAC section as well.  Probably more so.  

Any material differences that may exist are far more likely to be due to the amp section - and even then, due to mismatches in impedance and power output.   And even those are not likely to be significant (if they exist at all), especially in this case.  

In other words - eq.

Jun 2, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #1,181 of 3,155
Hmm this is interesting as i have read almost the opposite on other threads? :p from what i have read, the x5 has a bigger impact in the lows and can almost sound 'muffled' next to the dx90, which is said to be more of an analytical player?

The mixed reviews however kinda makes it an easier choice as either/or would be good for me. I guess as the ned of the day it might come down to usability/ergonomics? which i have to say would probably go to the dx90 - due to the removable battery, touch screen and removable battery. that being said, the x5 has a longer battery life..

Ahh decisions decisions!! they both have so much going for them!!

Now you understand why I told you to try both, your ears will be the ultimate judge. Yes you got yourself two different daps UI wise and hardware wise. It's a toss some don't mind the wheel others can't stand it, some don't like the single microSD versus the double ones of the X5 others don't give it a second thought. Lots to think about when picking one over the other. :wink:

Jun 2, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #1,182 of 3,155
The same point holds for the DAC section as well.  Probably more so.  

Any material differences that may exist are far more likely to be due to the amp section - and even then, due to mismatches in impedance and power output.   And even those are not likely to be significant (if they exist at all), especially in this case.  

In other words - eq.

So essentially what you are saying is that there are no differences between amps and dacs barring impedance mismatches they all should sound the same ?

Jun 2, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #1,183 of 3,155
Now you understand why I told you to try both, your ears will be the ultimate judge. Yes you got yourself two different daps UI wise and hardware wise. It's a toss some don't mind the wheel others can't stand it, some don't like the single microSD versus the double ones of the X5 others don't give it a second thought. Lots to think about when picking one over the other. :wink:

Never have truer words been spoken :)
When it comes to trying each one, as a cash strapped student, I just don't have the funds to try both at the same time, let alone does the UK have stores that sell these kinds of products :/ I'll just have to read through this whole thread I guess before I pull the trigger!

Jun 2, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #1,184 of 3,155

How would you say the wheel works and the over ui? Is it usable or an absolute nightmare if one has a large library?

Jun 2, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #1,185 of 3,155
How would you say the wheel works and the over ui? Is it usable or an absolute nightmare if one has a large library?

It's a matter of how well organized you are but don't forget that you also need to scroll on a tiny window for theDX90, ain't easy either. Few more things, the X5 is DAC ready for both PC including 64-bit and the Mac. As the DX90 stands, it's only compatible with PC 32-bit. Will be later to 64-bit

however the Mac is up in the air.

Here is my favorite commute player :

At home I can switch to the DX90, use it in bed as well :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back