The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
Apr 27, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #586 of 3,155
hello guys, I want to connect the ibasso dx to a car processor alpine pxa 700 that has an optical line, what cable shall I buy to go into the coaxial of the ibasso

I used to own and use several of the Alpine PXA-H700 digital processors in my car audio systems. If you have one of the H700's with a quiet/no-hiss Analog input, I would just use the DX-90's Line Output to the H700's Analog Input. It is equivalent to the 2-volt Redbook Standard and is plenty "hot" to supply a very clean signal to the H700. If you have one of the H700's that suffers from the Analog Input "noise floor/hiss" issue, then you may need to get an S/PDIF Coaxial-to-Toslink Optical converter as already suggested and use the Toslink Optical input on the H700. This type of converter needs power to operate.

The Alpine PXA-H700 does all of it's processing/DSP (Parametric & Graphic EQ, Digital Delay "time alignment", adjustable Crossover Network) in the digital domain at 16-bit/48kHz, so any other sample rate that is fed to the processor will be down-sampled to that. And unfortunately, as good as the PXA-H700 DACs are, they are no match for the newer Sabre chips in the DX-90. That said, your system will not sound any worse than it is now, and should sound even better by feeding it the very clean output of the DX-90.

I'm planning to do something similar, but using the Arc Audio PS8 DSP which has a coaxial input. Good luck.

Apr 27, 2014 at 3:31 AM Post #587 of 3,155
Agreed. Some Menu items are VERY difficult or impossible to see especially in bright daylight. I also wish that the Artist info and Album info below the Song Title were in White Text as opposed to medium grey. I may be a bit picky as I'm coming from the giant display on the Galaxy Note II, and it's customizable skins and fonts, etc.

FYI, as posted earlier in the thread..."To set the background, just place a 320*240 png file inside the root directory of dx90 and it will do."

IMO, it would be better to have the "BACK" & "HOME" touch-screen buttons at the bottom of the screen where the "My Music" & "Settings" touch buttons are. The scrolling and touch sensitivity seems a bit jumpy to me as well, but it just might take some getting used to compared to the other touch-screen devices I have.

Has anyone else noticed that when you turn on the EQ (even when it is set to all Zeros or "FLAT") that the overall volume output drops by about 20 steps? I suppose this is done in order to leave room for the possible +12dB boosts you can apply with the individual EQ bands.

Side Note: I just received mine yesterday from Pro Studio Music & Sound via AMAZON (they used U.S.P.S. Priority Mail for shipping from VA to SoCal) and included a free ~4"-long miniplug-to-female RCA coaxial digital adapter cable and a decent quality 6ft male-to-male RCA Coaxial digital cable. It shipped with v2.0.0 firmware.

Volume drops 6 dB when eq is turned on and sliders are at neutral

Apr 27, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #588 of 3,155
Hi, I'm interested in the DX90 because I like another DAC that uses ESS chip, but it's the 9023 not the 9018.  The ODAC, which I believe creates the detailed natural tones my ears favor.  

I have been looking into Resonance labs DACs as the team that implemented the DAC is of former ESS chip designers.  

Does anybody have the Resonance 9018 DAC and the DX90, and if so, can you give us a comparison between the two's sonic quality?  I am interested in natural tones, details, clarity, and accuracy.

Thank you,
SE

Apr 27, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #590 of 3,155
  Does anyone know where I can purchase a DX90?

prostudio carries them:

http://www.amazon.com/iBasso-DX90-Resolution-ES9018K2M-Connection/dp/B00JRGLX3G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398626556&sr=8-1&keywords=dx90

mp4nation also does but their out of stock and there seems to be some complaints about them...

and ofc ibasso which is also out of stock.

Those are what i know of. Im sure there are others

Apr 27, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #591 of 3,155
i hope i don't have to open a dispute with paypal if mp4nation will not ship on monday, do such disputes go easily and I can get a refund.

I hope mp4nation will meet the deadline for shipping it tomorrow

Apr 27, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #592 of 3,155
  i hope i don't have to open a dispute with paypal if mp4nation will not ship on monday, do such disputes go easily and I can get a refund.

do they even have DX90s in stock?

Apr 27, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #593 of 3,155

They don't. They said they'll have some stock tomorrow (monday) but wont be sure if they will be able to ship out to customers that day nor can they guaranty there will be no delays. And this is after denying that their initial product posting really didnt have preorder. I wish I took a screenshot of that. Dont order from mp4nation is what I can tell you unless you want to be adventurous and always half guess when your dx90 will ship or if it will ship at all.  I think going the amazon route is safer as there's always amazon who will take care of things for you if the retailer dont deliver.   Dont make my mistake :p

Apr 27, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #594 of 3,155

I order from penonaudio.com. After registration $429 with DHL shipping and in stock right now 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #595 of 3,155
I'd like to get one there but they have raised the price to 449USD which is not much higher but I'd rather wait for them to go back down to a fair price compared to iBasso's asking price. (419)

Apr 27, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #596 of 3,155
Impatience costs money.

iBasso will have them back in stock in only 2 weeks time.

Why line someone else's pockets just because you're in a hurry?

Apr 27, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #597 of 3,155
If I include shipping, I paid $441 at iBasso - so one for $449 isn't like you are getting hosed - unless there is shipping on top of that. (I was given no choice of shippers from them - they used DHL and I got it in about 10 minutes
bigsmile_face.gif
, so I am a happy camper.)

Apr 27, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #598 of 3,155

If you are sure of your facts paypal disputes tend to heavily favour the buyer and usually you will get a full refund. They will allow the vendor to try to make good though.

Apr 28, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #600 of 3,155
I used to own and use several of the Alpine PXA-H700 digital processors in my car audio systems. If you have one of the H700's with a quiet/no-hiss Analog input, I would just use the DX-90's Line Output to the H700's Analog Input. It is equivalent to the 2-volt Redbook Standard and is plenty "hot" to supply a very clean signal to the H700. If you have one of the H700's that suffers from the Analog Input "noise floor/hiss" issue, then you may need to get an S/PDIF Coaxial-to-Toslink Optical converter as already suggested and use the Toslink Optical input on the H700. This type of converter needs power to operate.

The Alpine PXA-H700 does all of it's processing/DSP (Parametric & Graphic EQ, Digital Delay "time alignment", adjustable Crossover Network) in the digital domain at 16-bit/48kHz, so any other sample rate that is fed to the processor will be down-sampled to that. And unfortunately, as good as the PXA-H700 DACs are, they are no match for the newer Sabre chips in the DX-90. That said, your system will not sound any worse than it is now, and should sound even better by feeding it the very clean output of the DX-90.

I'm planning to do something similar, but using the Arc Audio PS8 DSP which has a coaxial input. Good luck.

I have ground floor and hiss

can u tell me how arc audio ps8 compares to other dsps, does it also have ground floor/hiss noise

Users who are viewing this thread

Back