The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
Feb 16, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #2,071 of 3,155
When I used Fiio X3 line out was not affected by volume control, but DX90 is.

If line out is bypassing the internal amp, why is it affected by the volume control?

Also, is there any way I can set the line out volume? Every time I switch from my setup (DX90->O2->HD650 to DX90->W4R), I have to change volume from 240 to 140. Not a big deal but sometimes annoying.

Feb 16, 2015 at 2:42 AM Post #2,072 of 3,155

I looked into that but for $60 I can get a brand new one with the full warranty. What's really holding me back is that I keep looking at how nice the AK100ii is, I really like how it looks.

That's what I did. My experience with that $310 DX90 owner was horrible. You can see the details I left on the seller's feedback.

I bought new one on Amazon for $399 (with the leather case) and it's been amazing!

I also looked at AK100ii but that was just too much for a DAP, at least for me.

Feb 16, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #2,073 of 3,155

If line out is bypassing the internal amp, why is it affected by the volume control?

Also, is there any way I can set the line out volume? Every time I switch from my setup (DX90->O2->HD650 to DX90->W4R), I have to change volume from 240 to 140. Not a big deal but sometimes annoying.

Volume control is digital and happens in the dac which is why it affects both headphone out and line out

Feb 16, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #2,074 of 3,155

Big deal for me, I've nearly deafened myself twice after using during the day connected to HiFi, then with IEMs in bed at night! From now on, I'm only using Fiio line-out in case I forget again!

Feb 16, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #2,075 of 3,155
  So, out of the three IEM mentioned earlier, I feel DN-1000 pairs really well with DX90. manages to reveal quite an amount of detail yet remain smooth. It can be on the bright side of the spectrum, but quite transparent and high in clarity. I was more impressed with the DN-1000 synergy over DN-2000. The SE535 I haven't tried yet, but I don't think they will outclass the DN-1000 with DX90 (purely from synergy perspective).. I did have my gut feeling about the Dunu working well but the other way round. 

Lot's of new toys hey? 
bigsmile_face.gif

Good to see you coming back to the DN-1000, they are still incredible basshead IEMs, the DN-2000 is more different than better. How do you find the Shure? I found the 535 really lacking when I tried it. 

Feb 16, 2015 at 4:47 AM Post #2,076 of 3,155
  Lot's of new toys hey? 
bigsmile_face.gif

Good to see you coming back to the DN-1000, they are still incredible basshead IEMs, the DN-2000 is more different than better. How do you find the Shure? I found the 535 really lacking when I tried it. 

Yes! Lots of new IEM to play with.

SE535 and DN-1000 are mine (to keep) but DN-2000 is just an extended home audition (but for quite a while) 
biggrin.gif
 I still haven't tried SE535 with DX90 but from what different sources I have I can see how they may cause much confusion amongst the community. Many sources make them sound anything from congested, dark, confused, withheld, and quite subdued. But there is one source here which I'd read about beforehand makes 535 sound nice, Cowon J3. (which I will keep them with)

For example, I tried SE535 with the Tralucent DacAmp One and it was just a no go, didn't like it at all. When using the right source though, I quite like them. As for the Dunu DN-1000 and DX90 that pairing is quite up there when you consider the total cost of both player and IEM combined. 

Feb 16, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #2,077 of 3,155

Yes! Lots of new IEM to play with.

SE535 and DN-1000 are mine (to keep) but DN-2000 is just an extended home audition (but for quite a while) 
biggrin.gif
 I still haven't tried SE535 with DX90 but from what different sources I have I can see how they may cause much confusion amongst the community. Many sources make them sound anything from congested, dark, confused, withheld, and quite subdued. But there is one source here which I'd read about beforehand makes 535 sound nice, Cowon J3. (which I will keep them with)

For example, I tried SE535 with the Tralucent DacAmp One and it was just a no go, didn't like it at all. When using the right source though, I quite like them. As for the Dunu DN-1000 and DX90 that pairing is quite up there when you consider the total cost of both player and IEM combined. 

I tried them several times, from an iPhone, S3, Z2, DX50, DX90, X3 and X5 and they sounded warm and lacking in detail and soundstage. 

Maybe technology has moved on, the design is rather old I guess. They still sound nice for music enjoyment, but I feel for the price better can be had. 

Feb 16, 2015 at 4:54 AM Post #2,078 of 3,155
  I tried them several times, from an iPhone, S3, Z2, DX50, DX90, X3 and X5 and they sounded warm and lacking in detail and soundstage. 

Maybe technology has moved on, the design is rather old I guess. They still sound nice for music enjoyment, but I feel for the price better can be had. 

535 remind me a little bit of what Westone offer in their price to performance ratio, but I don't see strong synergy coming between 535 and DX90 myself.

Feb 16, 2015 at 4:55 AM Post #2,079 of 3,155

535 remind me a little bit of what Westone offer in their price to performance ratio, but I don't see strong synergy coming between 535 and DX90 myself.

W4 lol...

Yeah, I felt like the SE535 had some more to offer with the DX90. 

Feb 16, 2015 at 5:44 AM Post #2,080 of 3,155
I don't see strong synergy coming between 535 and DX90 myself.

Yes, synergy is the keyword here.

With my X5/Cayin C5 stack I enjoy listening with my Tralucent 1p2 the most, but with the DX90 I highly prefer the SQ with my V6 Stage (universal fit + 8 braided copper cable)....imo they have unbelievable synergy or magic as you called it before.

I had the SE535 and sold it because I didn't like it that much with the DX50 & DX90. Would like to audition the Dunu's one day though...

Feb 16, 2015 at 6:00 AM Post #2,081 of 3,155
  Yes, synergy is the keyword here.

With my X5/Cayin C5 stack I enjoy listening with my Tralucent 1p2 the most, but with the DX90 I highly prefer the SQ with my V6 Stage (universal fit + 8 braided copper cable)....imo they have unbelievable synergy or magic as you called it before.

I had the SE535 and sold it because I didn't like it that much with the DX50 & DX90. Would like to audition the Dunu's one day though...

Yes, I consider synergy very important, I'm quite intrigued by it.

For example, let's take one IEM for a simple scenario:

1 ) T-Peos Altone200

Now, two sources miles apart in price:

2) iBasso DX90 - $540 AUD (to buy in Australia currently)

3) iRiver E100 (picked up used for $50 AUD on Australian eBay)

The law of money and expectation bias says the $540 source will sound much better, it's more expensive, you paid more, it uses better internals, has more output power, everything points in a positive direction. But instead, when I toggle between the two sources (keeping in mind this is just with one IEM) the little iRiver sounds better to me with Altone200, there's more air, effortless flow, better instrument separation, soundstage. How is it so, the more expensive player should win?

I have heard this too many times with several different sources ranging in price to ignore (please check my profile).

Before anyone thinks H20 just said his $50 iRiver E100 sounds better than DX90, no I did not, I simply said Altone200 has better synergy with the iRiver. This is why I search for 'magic' because I have heard this too many times, and when I find that magic with DX90 it will sing like no tomorrow. Because I can hear the potential.

Feb 16, 2015 at 6:57 AM Post #2,082 of 3,155

Yes, I consider synergy very important, I'm quite intrigued by it.

For example, let's take one IEM for a simple scenario:

1 ) T-Peos Altone200

Now, two sources miles apart in price:

2) iBasso DX90 - $540 AUD (to buy in Australia currently)

3) iRiver E100 (picked up used for $50 AUD on Australian eBay)

The law of money and expectation bias says the $540 source will sound much better, it's more expensive, you paid more, it uses better internals, has more output power, everything points in a positive direction. But instead, when I toggle between the two sources (keeping in mind this is just with one IEM) the little iRiver sounds better to me with Altone200, there's more air, effortless flow, better instrument separation, soundstage. How is it so, the more expensive player should win?

I have heard this too many times with several different sources ranging in price to ignore (please check my profile).

Before anyone thinks H20 just said his $50 iRiver E100 sounds better than DX90, no I did not, I simply said Altone200 has better synergy with the iRiver. This is why I search for 'magic' because I have heard this too many times, and when I find that magic with DX90 it will sing like no tomorrow. Because I can hear the potential.

My iPod Video 5.5g has beautiful synergy with my FAD Heaven VI. I had a problem with the noise floor of the iPod's headphone out and waited until a secondhand HeadAmp Pico Slim popped up locally to maintain the iPod's signature. The only thing the DX90 beats it in for my preferences with the FADs is soundstage (not imaging or separation).

What is nice about the DX90 is that it's a very good allrounder and I have yet to hear something that sounds bad with it (surprisingly the Brainwavz B2 sounds pretty good, haven't tried the DX90 with the AD though).

Feb 16, 2015 at 7:05 AM Post #2,083 of 3,155

My iPod Video 5.5g has beautiful synergy with my FAD Heaven VI. I had a problem with the noise floor of the iPod's headphone out and waited until a secondhand HeadAmp Pico Slim popped up locally to maintain the iPod's signature. The only thing the DX90 beats it in for my preferences with the FADs is soundstage (not imaging or separation).

What is nice about the DX90 is that it's a very good allrounder and I have yet to hear something that sounds bad with it (surprisingly the Brainwavz B2 sounds pretty good, haven't tried the DX90 with the AD though).

I'm glad I'm not alone on the concept. 
smile.gif

To elaborate a little further on the scenario above and help explain. The DX90 would definitely (and does) reveal more detail with that T-Peos hybrid, but there's much more to sound quality. For example, the Altone would also sound harsh on DX90 (a flaw of the hybrid), so the iRiver also sounds smoother at the expense of less detail. (which is a plus for me) As for the DX90, the DN-1000 is pretty good pairing, and I really do like DX90, it's very detailed, (I really like that about it)

Feb 16, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #2,084 of 3,155
It is interesting how the different headphones and iems interact with daps. It is not always predictable. We try to make it easy to drive most any headphone but sometimes their is a synergy that works so well. Grounding, current supply and everything else just works.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Feb 16, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #2,085 of 3,155
Thanks for the info!  I just tried my Denon D1001 and the synergy is much better.  Perhaps there lacks some synergy with the DX90 + Grado headphones.  I'm not giving up hope yet on the Grados though, hoping more burn-in improves things.  Anyone heard the Denon D600s with the DX90 by any chance?  At 25 ohms they should be easy to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back