The Drinking Fountain - Full-Size Headphone Discussion
Jan 24, 2024 at 12:34 PM Post #301 of 546
Took forever to arrive, but my Verite Open are finally here. Very comfortable, good sound, cable is too stiff though. Insanely easy to drive. Having to return the hivex, sticks too often. I literally spent 5 minutes unsticking it this morning just waiting for the left side to pop.

PXL_20240124_163909209~2.jpg
Congrats on the VO. Was my fav headphone at one time. Remember that discussion we had awhile back abouut tubes? Now would be the time to dive headfirst into an OTL for that ZMF.

Jan 24, 2024 at 12:34 PM Post #302 of 546
Based on freq response measurements alone, Verite Open is the most intriguing ZMF to me.

Thanks for sharing. Unsticking stator sounds like more hassle that its worth.

You are aware SJY has yet to address unscrupulous behaviors?
I'm aware that their "unscrupulous behavior" was hardly unscrupulous. Copy-pasted terms of service barely even counts as plagiarism and could have just been an AI web designer pull. All he has to do is change the wording in a couple of spots - easy. ZMF made a huge deal of nothing there instead of just asking him to change a couple of words - a common internet problem.

Jan 24, 2024 at 12:35 PM Post #303 of 546
Congrats on the VO. Was my fav headphone at one time. Remember that discussion we had awhile back abouut tubes? Now would be the time to dive headfirst into an OTL for that ZMF.
My amp has tubes built in - I'll play with them later.

Jan 24, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #304 of 546
I'm aware that their "unscrupulous behavior" was hardly unscrupulous. Copy-pasted terms of service barely even counts as plagiarism and could have just been an AI web designer pull. All he has to do is change the wording in a couple of spots - easy. ZMF made a huge deal of nothing there instead of just asking him to change a couple of words - a common internet problem.
SJY strictly plagiarized ZMF’s website after (poorly) cloning ZMF’s headphone styling. ZMF said he attempted discussions or negotiations but SJY has gone ghost.

Im aware companies do sometimes source parts from the same factories or thru the same intermediary sites (like aliexpress) where poorly cloned products like ZMF’s cups are rampant so its not unusual.

Jan 24, 2024 at 2:00 PM Post #305 of 546
SJY strictly plagiarized ZMF’s website after (poorly) cloning ZMF’s headphone styling. ZMF said he attempted discussions or negotiations but SJY has gone ghost.

Im aware companies do sometimes source parts from the same factories or thru the same intermediary sites (like aliexpress) where poorly cloned products like ZMF’s cups are rampant so its not unusual.
I did much dumber things than copy a terms of service in college 🤷🏻‍♂️. If the headphones were a clone, ZMF could press charges, but they haven't. ZMF didn't invent wood headphones with metal grills and SJY didn't rip off any of their grill designs or even their wood. Maybe we should get mad at ZMF for copying Fostex when they modded them or copying Audeze because they have wooden ear cups with metal grills. My point being that the only thing he did was copy their terms of service - his website is completely different, his headphones are completely different if slightly similar looking. Change some words and move on. I'd even rank the Verite Open with dynamic drivers higher than the Moonlight with planar drivers.

But hey, that's just my opinion, if people want to light fires and roast the kid for starting his own company and messing up a little on the way, so be it

Jan 24, 2024 at 8:20 PM Post #306 of 546
Question for the Fountain. If you had to buy only one possible endgame headphone, would you buy the DCA Corina, Stax SR-X9000, Hifiman Susvara, Empyrean II, Focal Utopia 2022, Abyss Diana MR, Warwick Bravura, ZMF Caldera, or something completely different?

Jan 24, 2024 at 8:22 PM Post #307 of 546
Question for the Fountain. If you had to buy only one possible endgame headphone, would you buy the DCA Corina, Stax SR-X9000, Hifiman Susvara, Empyrean II, Focal Utopia 2022, Abyss Diana MR, Warwick Bravura, ZMF Caldera, or something completely different?

Stax X9000 for me

Jan 24, 2024 at 8:35 PM Post #308 of 546
With the experiences I've had thus far, it would be the SR-X9000. I want to try the Shangri-La (Sr), but I haven't had the opportunity to do so yet.

Jan 24, 2024 at 8:37 PM Post #309 of 546
Susvara. It's still the best planar on the market for overall musicality, IMO.

If it were practical to travel with an estat, my answer would be the HFM Shangri-la. Susvara, OTOH, can be driven acceptably by a good portable amp.

Jan 24, 2024 at 8:38 PM Post #310 of 546
Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 8:40 PM Post #311 of 546
I know some may not consider it “end game”, but ZMF Atrium Closed (with the right chain) would be my purchase. :o2smile:

Jan 24, 2024 at 8:54 PM Post #312 of 546
You guys don't worry about the quality control issues?
I've been lucky thus far and none of my headphones have ever had serious issues with reliability. My Sundara is going on 4 years without any problems. Besides, that's what warranty and dealer support is for. Both Staxen and Hifimans seem to "fail fast" based on what I've seen; any failures occur pretty early on within a month or two.

Now warranty is one reason I went with the SGL Jr when I first decided to jump into summit-fi. Hifiman has a 5-year warranty for their electrostatics, which is much better than the 1 year that Stax offers. I reasoned that even if the Jr broke on me, I could use its warranty for more peace of mind. Haven't had any issues with the Jr in nearly two years of ownership other than earpads wearing out.

Jan 24, 2024 at 8:55 PM Post #313 of 546
You guys don't worry about the quality control issues?

I definitely do. It's probably the #1 reason I haven't purchased it yet. I usually buy 50/50 between used and new, but this one scares me, for sure, used.

Jan 24, 2024 at 9:00 PM Post #314 of 546
I know some may not consider it “end game”, but ZMF Atrium Closed (with the right chain) would be my purchase. :o2smile:
Hey, a lot of people love the AC

Jan 25, 2024 at 7:01 AM Post #315 of 546
From your list, Diana MR. Something completely different - Grado GS3000x

Leo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back