The Drinking Fountain - Full-Size Headphone Discussion
Jan 5, 2024 at 10:59 PM Post #106 of 546
Jan 5, 2024 at 11:25 PM Post #108 of 546
As someone who's heard the Noires a good bit and owns the Closed RT (which I think are the same), I'll say that they're very different sounding. As you know, the X/RT is unbelievably bright and has pretty recessed bass if you don't use the thickest filter. But if you do, the details get pretty blunted. The Noires on the other hand are more balanced - still emphasized treble, but nowhere near as bad, and with significantly better bass.

On an unrelated note, I heard the CA-1a a while ago and it was absolutely incredible. I freaking loved it so much and probably would have bought a pair on the spot if I wasn't committed to the Atrium Closed and they weren't so inconvenient.
Well, my CA-1a arrived today, but it's missing some parts and I can't actually listen to it yet. Trying to figure out a solution. Also, are the ear pads supposed to be loose and rattley?

Jan 6, 2024 at 12:14 AM Post #109 of 546
What would you say the best all-in-one desktop DAC/amp is?
I quite liked the Chord TT2 when I owned it. With a streamer integrated I am not sure what the options are, other than the Naim HE.

Jan 6, 2024 at 1:19 AM Post #110 of 546
Well, my CA-1a arrived today, but it's missing some parts and I can't actually listen to it yet. Trying to figure out a solution. Also, are the ear pads supposed to be loose and rattley?
Yes to the ear pads being that way. They just clip in to hold them to the cups.

Jan 6, 2024 at 1:51 AM Post #111 of 546
Such an interesting concept. I would love to know your impressions on the Raal CA-1a.

You had a chance to listen to it? Can you elaborate a little further, especially regarding to the lower-end frequency?

Thank you!
The low end was tight, controlled and snappy. It had a kick to it, close to dynamic headphones id say. I was positively suprized to bass quality and quantity as I listen a lot of EDM and pop. With the TI-brick and my V222 it did not work as good tough, but with V850+Jot R it was amazing. I had a guy listening at my place, who previously had SR-1a, and said that CA is better with bass, and more enjoyable. I cant remember sub-bass quality too well, but with cut doughnuts that I used that region was not something that I recall admiring. But I stand by my statement, 3k sound in 50e chassis(okay materials are MUCH better than those in 50e hps).

Yeah, build is not great....but on your head it is okay feeling tough.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 2:44 AM Post #112 of 546
To me, the RME-2-DAC FS. I've owned several all-in-one units, this one has enough power for most headphones out there, dedicated IEM output, top tier DA-stage, parametric EQ among other things, and in general I think the design is a nice combination of pro-audio and high end consumer gear.

Jan 6, 2024 at 2:54 AM Post #113 of 546
ZMF and Headphones dot com have been having the same heated debate for over two years now and after this last exchange I don't think a whole lot will be solved. If anything this one made it worse.
I guess I just have a small hope that this new public debate would initiate a private communication between them, and they could work something out, bury the hatchet, move on.
But I do see that's a bit naive, given the backstory.

Jan 6, 2024 at 3:39 AM Post #114 of 546
To me, the RME-2-DAC FS. I've owned several all-in-one units, this one has enough power for most headphones out there, dedicated IEM output, top tier DA-stage, parametric EQ among other things, and in general I think the design is a nice combination of pro-audio and high end consumer gear.
This +1
Bought mine 3 years back, best money I've spent in this hobby.

Jan 6, 2024 at 3:49 AM Post #115 of 546
I haven't tried that many, but I'm really liking the Fiio R7. It has lots of features, doesn't cost an arm and a leg, Android apps are available and I prefer the vertical screen over most other streamers horizontal presentation.
If you need a very versatile all in one, this one is great, IMO. The upcoming R9 should be even better, if you think the R7 is a bit lacking 😁

Jan 6, 2024 at 9:26 AM Post #116 of 546
I haven't tried that many, but I'm really liking the Fiio R7. It has lots of features, doesn't cost an arm and a leg, Android apps are available and I prefer the vertical screen over most other streamers horizontal presentation.
If you need a very versatile all in one, this one is great, IMO. The upcoming R9 should be even better, if you think the R7 is a bit lacking 😁
The R7 was very interesting to me. The only reason I didn't get one on sale recently is the voice sync issues they supposedly have, which the R9 has supposedly fixed.

Jan 6, 2024 at 10:20 AM Post #117 of 546
The R7 was very interesting to me. The only reason I didn't get one on sale recently is the voice sync issues they supposedly have, which the R9 has supposedly fixed.
Yes, that was a concern for me as well, when I was planning to add it to my computer setup. But since I know have a setup in the living room, it's not an issue for me.
I think Fiio said they measured the latency to be between 20-60ms, but I might be remembering wrong.
Certainly something PC user be aware off 👍

Jan 6, 2024 at 10:31 AM Post #118 of 546
Yes, that was a concern for me as well, when I was planning to add it to my computer setup. But since I know have a setup in the living room, it's not an issue for me.
I think Fiio said they measured the latency to be between 20-60ms, but I might be remembering wrong.
Certainly something PC user be aware off 👍
Yeah, since I'd use it for gaming and TV I think it'd bug me. R9 is out in a few weeks though

Jan 6, 2024 at 12:57 PM Post #119 of 546
I just asked Resolve on the livestream and he provided some clarity on their review process but ZMF and Headphones dot com have a tumultuous relationship going back a few years so I'm not surprised both parties don't see eye to eye. I know Zach doesn't want Resolve, DMS and Golden to mention ZMF in their videos as both parties have opposing points of view.

Unfortunately in the case of the Atrium Closed all three reviewers weren't provided a review unit and only spent a few mins with it at CanJam so the mention of the AC vs E3 and the AC's subsequent ranking was made with little to no time with the product. For this reason alone I agree with Zach that it probably shouldn't have been mentioned in a head to head comparison but it is what it is.

The ZMF heated debate goes back a couple years now and there have been multiple threads on various sites but the most recent one was between Zach and the Headphones dot com crew on the comment board in their latest video here:

If you scroll down to the comment section you'll see their latest exchange. Just look for the ZMFHeadphones logo and you'll find the debate.

Yeah the others spent more time with it than I did at various gatherings so I abstained. But it's a fair point that we should've mentioned that they didn't send us one for review. We did indicate "not enough time" with Bokeh, and since it was only heard briefly it wasn't included. Maybe next year if we get a chance to listen to it.

And just to be clear, Zach and I (and the rest of the team) have an amicable relationship - we very much like them and what they're doing, it's merely a professional difference of opinion on the issue of our coverage of their products.

Last edited:
headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Jan 6, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #120 of 546
New toy in the house today... IMG_20240106_124322460~2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back