The Drinking Fountain - Full-Size Headphone Discussion
Jan 5, 2024 at 7:06 PM Post #91 of 546
I'm reading this with interest. Just joined the board. My only reference point so is the Sony MDR-Z7m2 (about $600 new as of Dec. 2023), driving it with a Hagerman Castanet amp and a Bifrost 2/64 DAC. Maybe an unusual combo?

I'm enjoying this setup. Good detail, voicing and overall balance. I'd like to get an idea of how these headphones compare to others in the same price range now, and which used headphones I might consider that might provide a meaningful improvement. Also does anyone have any experience with this amp? How should I think of its limitations, especially its ability to drive headphones over the whole impedance range?
Bifrost is great, those songs are really solid. I'd list Hifiman as the only real competitor in that price bracket that I can think of right now, but I'm sure other people can chime in with other options. I think someone is selling Aryas for around 600 atm, APOS maybe? I forget and I deleted the email, sorry. I'm afraid I know nothing of your amp though, so I can't comment on that. Things to look at though are output power, resistance, tubes vs solid, balanced vs unbalanced, etc. there's a whole slew of factors for amps, so hopefully someone else with experience on that amp can chime in.

Jan 5, 2024 at 7:08 PM Post #92 of 546
The heated debate between ZMF and Headphones Dot Com staff was a pretty interesting read.

Both sides made very valid points;

ZMF's assertion that implicit bias tying to the store can be influencing things, and also their assertion that commenting on products in a review or "awards" setting while barely listening to them is an issue.

Headphones' best point was regarding the implicit bias associated with all of the reviewers ZMF selects to review their products. There certainly appears to be a pattern of ZMF sending review samples to members that seem to be ardent ZMF supporters, on average. When the last few models came out and reviews on the forum circulated, I could almost predict some of the names that would pop up before the review was even posted LOL.

Ultimately, none of this should surprise us. ZMF seems to be as honest as a business can get, and Headphones Dot Com's panel of reviewers are reputable and well regarded; none of that changes the fact that this is all tied to business. And ZMF will be in the business of ensuring their products are presented in the best light, and Headphones Dot Com will continue funding a YouTube channel that finds ways to generate revenue for Headphones Dot Com.

Jan 5, 2024 at 7:10 PM Post #93 of 546
Really enjoying my DCA Aeon 2 Opens tonight with a DCA Dum Balanced cable out of my Jot2. I've had them a lot of years, but went an extended time without them getting head time. I'm so I glad that I rediscovered them!

Leo

Jan 5, 2024 at 7:12 PM Post #94 of 546
I just asked Resolve on the livestream and he provided some clarity on their review process but ZMF and Headphones dot com have a tumultuous relationship going back a few years so I'm not surprised both parties don't see eye to eye. I know Zach doesn't want Resolve, DMS and Golden to mention ZMF in their videos as both parties have opposing points of view.

Unfortunately in the case of the Atrium Closed all three reviewers weren't provided a review unit and only spent a few mins with it at CanJam so the mention of the AC vs E3 and the AC's subsequent ranking was made with little to no time with the product. For this reason alone I agree with Zach that it probably shouldn't have been mentioned in a head to head comparison but it is what it is.

The ZMF heated debate goes back a couple years now and there have been multiple threads on various sites but the most recent one was between Zach and the Headphones dot com crew on the comment board in their latest video here:

If you scroll down to the comment section you'll see their latest exchange. Just look for the ZMFHeadphones logo and you'll find the debate.

Thanks for the link.

Goldensound recently released a video saying the AC was his favorite headphone though, right?

I think both parties here are pretty respected, but with different points of view on this issue.

Personally, I just ordered my first ZMF, the Bokeh, and I’m excited to check it out.

Jan 5, 2024 at 7:31 PM Post #95 of 546
Thanks for the link.

Goldensound recently released a video saying the AC was his favorite headphone though, right?

I think both parties here are pretty respected, but with different points of view on this issue.

Personally, I just ordered my first ZMF, the Bokeh, and I’m excited to check it out.
GoldenSound released a video that one of his favorites is the Atrium Open. Not the Atrium Closed.

I've owned all of the other ZMF closed backs with the Bokeh being the exception. Hope you enjoy it. I'm reading a lot of good impressions about it so far.

Jan 5, 2024 at 7:37 PM Post #96 of 546
Really enjoying my DCA Aeon 2 Opens tonight with a DCA Dum Balanced cable out of my Jot2. I've had them a lot of years, but went an extended time without them getting head time. I'm so I glad that I rediscovered them!

Leo
Nice, I've always wanted to listen to the Aeon 2. I tried the... Aeon X Closed or whatever the Drop one was and disliked it immensely, but loved the Ether 2. I need some more DCA in my life. I'm just afraid to get the Aeon 2 Noire open box and then hate it and not be able to return it after me experience with the X. 😔

Jan 5, 2024 at 7:40 PM Post #97 of 546
Currently enjoying some Opeth with my Focal Elear with Clear pads(same as the Elex). I’m a pretty low volume listener so an Apple type C dongle is all I need. I don’t have a desk, so I just listen while sitting on my couch so using the dongle with my iPhone is also super convenient. I also don’t get to use full size open backs very often because I usually need isolation, so I use IEMs more often.

Jan 5, 2024 at 9:17 PM Post #98 of 546
What would you say the best all-in-one desktop DAC/amp is?

Jan 5, 2024 at 9:37 PM Post #99 of 546
NITSCH Pietus Maximus with ESS card for $650 is getting good reviews everywhere

Jan 5, 2024 at 9:46 PM Post #100 of 546
NITSCH Pietus Maximus with ESS card for $650 is getting good reviews everywhere
Nice find, I've never heard of Nitsch, though apparently they're friends with Schiit. That, or I'm being punked and they're the same company 😂

Jan 5, 2024 at 9:48 PM Post #101 of 546
Nice find, I've never heard of Nitsch, though apparently they're friends with Schiit. That, or I'm being punked and they're the same company 😂
Buy with confidence. The owner is a nice guy and experienced in this field.

Jan 5, 2024 at 10:13 PM Post #102 of 546
I quite like my JDS Element 2 (the 3rd gen is out now). It's a very elegant and distinctive design and I love its simplicity. The giant volume knob is a bit devisive, but I like that I can reach over and quickly change the volume without looking away from whatever spreadsheet I'm working on.

Jan 5, 2024 at 10:17 PM Post #103 of 546
If I were buying a dac/amp …. any one I could pick…I would go Pathos InPol Ear Headphone Amp With dac option.

Jan 5, 2024 at 10:43 PM Post #104 of 546
Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 10:53 PM Post #105 of 546
Nice, I've always wanted to listen to the Aeon 2. I tried the... Aeon X Closed or whatever the Drop one was and disliked it immensely, but loved the Ether 2. I need some more DCA in my life. I'm just afraid to get the Aeon 2 Noire open box and then hate it and not be able to return it after me experience with the X. 😔
As someone who's heard the Noires a good bit and owns the Closed RT (which I think are the same), I'll say that they're very different sounding. As you know, the X/RT is unbelievably bright and has pretty recessed bass if you don't use the thickest filter. But if you do, the details get pretty blunted. The Noires on the other hand are more balanced - still emphasized treble, but nowhere near as bad, and with significantly better bass.

On an unrelated note, I heard the CA-1a a while ago and it was absolutely incredible. I freaking loved it so much and probably would have bought a pair on the spot if I wasn't committed to the Atrium Closed and they weren't so inconvenient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back