THE DIY HEADPHONE STAND THREAD
Apr 7, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #1,816 of 3,874
I can't use alu anyway as its hard to find panels to use, so that's a no go anyway. I may have to use some sort of acrylic, maybe solid colour for the base, and clear for the arm. I'm hopeless at this sort of thing anyway, I don't even have a saw to cut with.

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #1,817 of 3,874
I think I might get the base and arm 3D printed from Shape ways, the base in glass/steel and the arm in frosted plastic.

Apr 7, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #1,818 of 3,874
I can't use alu anyway as its hard to find panels to use, so that's a no go anyway. I may have to use some sort of acrylic, maybe solid colour for the base, and clear for the arm. I'm hopeless at this sort of thing anyway, I don't even have a saw to cut with.

Take a look @ the pics of my stand I made on Friday. It has a black 1/2" acrylic base & clear for the rest. Fortunately, I have access to everything I needed (materials/tools) @ my work. I'm very happy w/ the way it turned out. I would've had to spend well over $100 to buy something comparable. If you need help finding a good acrylic supply, I could prob point you in the right direction (depending on where you live). I may even be willing to take some orders for custom stands if there is enough interest. Anyways, good luck. Let me know if you need any assistance. Cheers!

Apr 8, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #1,820 of 3,874
Thanks for your help. I would like to make a headphone stand at some point, but upgrading my IEMs is higher on my audio to do list, so maybe in the near future.

Apr 8, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #1,822 of 3,874
Quote:

Looks similar to something me and 2-3 other members I've seen using.. (already returned mine though) $14 from BB&B (somewhere in the NAD 16 Review thread.. and a few pages back on this thread)

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=13696578&RN=515&KSKU=108356&

wooaudio.com also makes some nice affordable stands.. as does Bluecell(amazon).. and a bunch of members in this thread can customize you one.

Apr 8, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #1,823 of 3,874
Quote:
Take a look @ the pics of my stand I made on Friday. It has a black 1/2" acrylic base & clear for the rest. Fortunately, I have access to everything I needed (materials/tools) @ my work. I'm very happy w/ the way it turned out. I would've had to spend well over $100 to buy something comparable. If you need help finding a good acrylic supply, I could prob point you in the right direction (depending on where you live). I may even be willing to take some orders for custom stands if there is enough interest. Anyways, good luck. Let me know if you need any assistance. Cheers!

I'd be interested if the price is right.

Apr 8, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #1,824 of 3,874
Quote:
If I were to use metal to make a stand, could I use thick solder to attach the different parts? I think that a nice aluminium stand would look nice, with maybe some glass bits.

Um... maybe? If you're thinking that you can use solder like glue, that won't work at all, and aluminum is tricky to get solder to stick to in the first place (there's special aluminum solder as well).

Apr 8, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #1,825 of 3,874
I didn't see this idea here yet so i thought i'd post mine... works pretty good but i barely use it, i usually just throw em' anywhere.. they're only mid-fi anyways! lulz

Apr 8, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #1,826 of 3,874
Quote:
Hey guys, some really creative stuff here! Great job! Here's one I made.
I was particularly inspired by a cardboard design that was posted in this forum a while back :) I spent $0 other than the tools I already had.

Nothing special, I tried to keep it as cheap and minimal as possible. Could have gone for a more elaborate design but I made it simple to complement the headphones, not overpower them.
I added a slot at the front for my iPod Touch, one at the back for anything else (eg. earphones, amp etc), another for the cable. Oh and a crude looking hole for the 6.3mm adaptor lol

Afraid it would fall sideways, I kept it relatively short. But to my surprise it's actually really sturdy so I could have made it taller after all. Oh well maybe next time. I made it specifically for my current equipment, so I'll just make another stand if new ones wont fit.

I gotta ask, how did you make the "holes" because I really like how clean you made it look. I know its pretty simple with cutting (duh) but I mean did you put a small strip of cardboard to make it flat inside?

Apr 9, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #1,827 of 3,874
Quote:
I gotta ask, how did you make the "holes" because I really like how clean you made it look. I know its pretty simple with cutting (duh) but I mean did you put a small strip of cardboard to make it flat inside?

hmmm... did you mean the part just above and below the iPod?
Funny, that part was actually just built up layers of cardboard, just like what you see on the rest of the stand (looked exactly like the layers above the headphone cable but just a different shape for the ipod to sit on).. but it looked too boring when it was all the same so I covered it with a thin strip of brown paper - like the brown paper at the top where the headphone sits (I cut it from a brown folder lying around that I didn't need anymore lol).
Didn't wanna use corrugated cardboard because it was too thick which would have gone past the edges.

Hope I answered your question :) but let me know if I didn't lol

Apr 9, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #1,828 of 3,874
Quote:
Looks similar to something me and 2-3 other members I've seen using.. (already returned mine though) $14 from BB&B (somewhere in the NAD 16 Review thread.. and a few pages back on this thread)

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=13696578&RN=515&KSKU=108356&

wooaudio.com also makes some nice affordable stands.. as does Bluecell(amazon).. and a bunch of members in this thread can customize you one.

My intention is to build or find a booth for more headphone, you have some project already developed?

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #1,829 of 3,874
I have 1 stand going out I made for an exchange of my logo painted on a canvas by a member here. I'll post pics tomorrow. And I have another one I'm looking to give away at the NYC meet too, just a stand I made for fun, nothing too spectacularly crafted, but it looks nice, pics coming soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back